good news for Longlac & Gearldton

Wildman

I was just checking out the news on their site, both clubs sold the mandatory 50 permits before the Dec.1 increase. Looks like the community has stepped up and understands the importants of belonging to the federaion. I say good for them.

that is good news,can't be that ez to do...maybe helped with online ''pick your club'' sales

that is good news,can't be that ez to do...maybe helped with online ''pick your club'' sales

They will be able to tell by reviewing their info on the pts site, it gives the permit buyers info. The big disadvantage is they sold a bunch of permits at $180, that sure doesn't help the bottom line.

Does that allow them to open "A" to Hornepayne again?

Does that allow them to open "A" to Hornepayne again?

Looking at the interactive guide, the tral goes to Hillsport. Reading the news on the website, Michel makes it sound like they are more focused on the Greenstone loop up to Nakina. IMO, if I was interested in making it survive, I would want to connect to the rest of the system 1st. Seeing as Hornpayne split from 16 before it's demise, I would make every effort to reconnect to them.

I agree.  They need to get more people out that way.  Either open the trail from Hillsport or get the old A107A open from Hearst.

Looking at the interactive guide, the tral goes to Hillsport. Reading the news on the website, Michel makes it sound like they are more focused on the Greenstone loop up to Nakina. IMO, if I was interested in making it survive, I would want to connect to the rest of the system 1st. Seeing as Hornpayne split from 16 before it's demise, I would make every effort to reconnect to them.

Yes, I would think it would help to get reconnected to the rest of the system. Good news though.

I agree.  They need to get more people out that way.  Either open the trail from Hillsport or get the old A107A open from Hearst.

A107A is expensive and to demanding on a club with only a few volunteers, not to mention the Hornpayne trail would attract a wider variety of riders. IMO, A107A has it's place in the system, but it needs to be way stronger first........baby steps for now.

Message I received from Michel in D16:

Thanks for the inquiry.  It's been a pretty challenging adventure the past few years.  As you know, with the shut down of District 16, only three clubs were left to operate on their own.

At this time I'm not sure if we will be opening up to Hillsport, gas seems to be an issue, with only one in Hillsport to provide gas for snowmobilers.  The trail is on our matric so we are going to do what we can to make this happen.

The framework for a change with the OFSC is maybe helping other districts operate, but for us it's a receipt for failure, and funds are at an all time low.

We were basically told to do what we can to meet the minimum permit requirement - that's it.  We've had 0 help or guidance from the OFSC.  Last year we sold 105 permits keeping both Longlac and Geraldton Clubs in good standing.  This year so far I'm estimating 140 permits between both clubs.  And this I don't believe will be enough to keep us financially viable for years to come.  Even with the Equalization payment we will be at a loss of about $7000.  Money is needed to operate.

There has been talk of trying to reopen A107, but it's just talk.

I wish I could be more positive this morning, but I'm really having a hard time, it's like working hard for your company, but it doesn't seem they care if you succeed or not.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind for additional support.

I think if they keep doing what they are, they will recieve help again. He says they get zero help, but he says they will be 7k short, even with the equalization payment......that is not zero help. They (district 16) dug a big hole and put themselves in a bad situation,, it is going to take allot of work and some time to get through all this.

I think if they keep doing what they are, they will recieve help again. He says they get zero help, but he says they will be 7k short, even with the equalization payment......that is not zero help.

They (district 16) dug a big hole and put

themselves in a bad situation,, it is going to take

allot of work and some time to get through all

this.

If they can open some more trails and maybe sell some more permits, it will work out. This 180 permit is going to haunt us. Everyone says the numbers are up, but are the clubs any farther ahead then last year. Time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...

if a club does not sell 50 permits what exactly happens ?

I believe you have to sell a minimum of 50 permits  to stay on as a club in the OFSC.

I wonder if the OFSC is expecting the towns and buSiness to buy up the permits? Seems logical to me as it could be a minimal investment to bring people into their communities during the winter.

Archived