Gowganda, Elk Lake, Matachewan Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Were going to head up to bang on a few more km's.  After this weekend I'm not sure I want to make the drive anymore for a while.  We'll see though the snow seems to call us back up every weekend until its gone...

Plans are to get 1,000 km on in two days.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four of us are hoping to head back up there April 3-6 for one last hurrah ride. So far the long range temperatures look good. :)

just got home from matachewan trails are excelent all the way to north bay

Were going to head up to bang on a few more km's.  After this weekend I'm not sure I want to make the drive anymore for a while.  We'll see though the snow seems to call us back up every weekend until its gone...

Plans are to get 1,000 km on in two days.

only 1000 ks in 2 days , you guys must sleep in until noon everday  :lmao:

Lots of snow. Not sure if or when any other grooming might happen. It was warmer yesterday but -22 last night it would have made concrete trails. Supposed to get two more cold nights, tonight and Sunday then warm up. They'll have to get out if they want to keep the trails decent.

E96823FF-BCFF-4881-81EF-11DE4E2F4043_zps

A trail from elk lake to Kirkland lake.

7B2D68E7-398A-4755-A798-295EF830E127_zps

Would have been another good night to groom last night -25* this morning when I got up!

How are the trails holding up in this area? Anyone know if they are worth the drive? We are about 6 hours away?

Thanks, Paul

X2

Also trying to head up for a Sat - Tues/Wed "last gasp" and sticking pins all across the board.

Didn't think the forecast looked too bad for New Liskheard. We're driving up Thursday afternoon and hope to ride Friday and Saturday providing the trails remain green.

Not sure where we are heading this weekend but heading somewhere Friday after work.  NL might be in the cards.

X2

Also trying to head up for a Sat - Tues/Wed "last gasp" and sticking pins all across the board.

X2

Not sure where we are heading this weekend but heading somewhere Friday after work.  NL might be in the cards.

Would you guys like a trail report on Friday?

Would you guys like a trail report on Friday?

Absolutely. Picking up sleds in the Midland area Saturday and away we go. Any info is appreciated.

I see the New Liskheard area trails just went to limited status. Is it safe to assume that is because clubs are no longer grooming?

Thanks for the heads up, Dooski. Most trails up there are likely to be similar. Question becomes, when was a particular trail groomed and who's still grooming.

How are the trails holding up in this area? Anyone know if they are worth the drive? We are about 6 hours away?

Thanks, Paul

I just got call from the Sportsman Lodge that there are sledders heading here for lunch...when they arrive I will let you know what they thought of the ride. I have 6 driving from Guelph to Sudbury this weekend and riding up to stay the night, can also report their thoughts. We are supposed to get 15 cm tomorrow...will keep you posted

Thanks guy's! I spoke to Urs and Dianne at Auld Reekie. They are expecting a few guy's this weekend. Urs claims the trails are at late to end of season at best. I'm thinking maybe Cochrane at this point. Based on all the feed back offered we will make our decision later today and i'll post it here.

I see the New Liskheard area trails just went to limited status. Is it safe to assume that is because clubs are no longer grooming?

That is what I would think, call Tata and ask, contact info is on their web site. Last Thursday, Friday, they recieved close to 20cm of snow and it was not groomed Sunday when we left, and it was perfect weather for it. We all need to remember, the federation is now in control of 75% of the cash, and they have a new way of dispersing it, clubs are low on cash with big bills yet to pay. None of us know how much money we will get for our final payment, it makes it tough for these clubs with snow to keep grooming this late in the season. It has been a banner year province wide........we got our moneys worth if a groomer doesn't turn a track till next fall.

We,club echo,have ceased grooming but the trails are still open,thats why they show yellow on the map,keep in mind that its been a costly season with record grooming hours,i rode to elk lake last night and trails were awesome,tons of snow,seems like the new snow we got last week settled on the trail and it was pretty smooth,calling for more snow friday,new liskeard are done grooming also but remain open

We decided on Kirkland Lake. Staying at the Comfort Inn. There is plenty of snow here and from what we could see from the truck as we drove up here the trails look quite good.  Heading out in the morning either. To Cochrane or Timmins maybe one big loop. I'll report back the conditions later tomorrow. Shoot me a pm and I will try and respond sooner.

Cheers,

Paul

We decided on Kirkland Lake. Staying at the Comfort Inn. There is plenty of snow here and from what we could see from the truck as we drove up here the trails look quite good.  Heading out in the morning either. To Cochrane or Timmins maybe one big loop. I'll report back the conditions later tomorrow. Shoot me a pm and I will try and respond sooner.

Cheers,

Paul

I think I saw your rig parked on the highway just north of Englehart checking out the trail, 100 ft long enclosed trailer.  I almost stopped to offer info.

From KL club:

The groomer was out last night and groomed from Bourkes to Kenogami, then A110Q into Kirkland.

Tonight he will be going to Butler Lake and down the A108 into Kirkland, and around town.

From Cochrane:

70 kms of the TOP A trail all groomed for the weekend.

From Timmins:

Please be advised that the C trail (near Smooth Rock Falls) between A and the A106C is now closed. Landowner negotiations are in progress so please stay off this trail.

Looking forward to your report.

I just got call from the Sportsman Lodge that there are sledders heading here for lunch...when they arrive I will let you know what they thought of the ride. I have 6 driving from Guelph to Sudbury this weekend and riding up to stay the night, can also report their thoughts. We are supposed to get 15 cm tomorrow...will keep you posted

Good morning guys....well here is the guys and gals report

2 groups of 2 from Sudbury at lunch yesterday said the trails still have lots of snow on them, the corners are beat up....but "its April and we are still riding" is what both groups said and the one are coming up next week to stay the night....

2 guys came over from Gowganda...thanks Gisselle and Ron.....said our side is a little rough. I have another 6 coming for the weekend and we have 15 cm snow coming starting around 5ish.

That is all I can tell you,

Kelly

Archived