Gowganda, Elk Lake, Matachewan Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

Thanks for the info guys.  We'll be there in a couple of weeks, hoping to do lunch at Rockies and return to Gowganda as a day trip.  Guess it just depends on the weather. 

Too bad there's also ploughed road near Matachewan, but that still shows green on the Interactive.  Any update on that?

Thanks,

whit

That's also a pretty good stretch of road,I'd guess 6 or 7 klicks anyway.As long as it doesn't get too warm,should be ok.Was through there on Saturday and it was fine.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-5 and snowing here today....going to be a long season this year....may have to call fishermen and tell them lakes aren't open for May 24....lol

The C106A towards Matachewan now shows yellow on the interactive map (from the A trail to Hwy 65 - Souci Lake Rd).  It was a mistake, should never have shown green.  It's plowed for about 8 kms, still ok to ride, but watch for equipment.  Snowed all day today, which should help it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent this past week in the area. Tough to get really really good riding in because of cold and continuous snowfall.

L136 on metatchewan side of the rabbit trail was excellent the lower half on gowganda side needs a tuneup. The middle section or rabbit trail was in great shape. Looks like the groomer went down just outside of metatchewan on the power line before soucy lake road. Soucy lake road is plowed right down a couple warm days will close it. Even after all the snow you hit lots of rocks.

A107c was groomed Thursday I believe but we got so much snow it ruined the fresh grooming job before many sleds got to use it.

I don't believe the a trail out of elk lake has been groomed for a bit likely due to a break down it was pretty one laned with all the snowfall but smooth.

Echo club out of elk lake and down was excellent but the snow also kept them from keeping the trails tabletop as it was basically 3 days of decent snow fall. I was drooling as we drove home at the freshly groomed railway line echo did last night out of elk lake it looked beautiful!

Headed up again Thursday!

Still managed 1600 km this last week!

Five of us (two couples and a single) took a great trip Saturday from Kirkland Lake down to Elk Lake on the "A" trail and that 6" to 8" of fresh snow made it a lot of fun and felt like we were driving on a cloud.  The trail was only tracked in the opposite direction so our side was fluffy and perfect.  By chance, we ran into Denis and Pat from club Echo at Elk Cabins and also met the new owners and their son who cooked us a great lunch.  The trail was sled packed full width between Elk Lake and L161 where we headed up to Charlton on the L161, needless to say this was a quick ride.  The open fields were a little drifted but still very rideable at slightly over the speed limit.  We took the L162 from Charlton north-west for the first time ever up to the "A" trail and despite the deep snow and heavy drifting had a great ride through this beautiful bush trail.  The other couple was riding two-up on an RX-1 and her butt was getting sore so we slowed down to soften the chatter a little.  The ride ended perfectly with the sun at our back and another 240km in the bag.

DSC00054_zps88669033.jpg

Randy can't help himself!

DSC00056_zps3437b467.jpg

Five of us (two couples and a single) took a great trip Saturday from Kirkland Lake down to Elk Lake on the "A" trail and that 6" to 8" of fresh snow made it a lot of fun and felt like we were driving on a cloud.  The trail was only tracked in the opposite direction so our side was fluffy and perfect.  By chance, we ran into Denis and Pat from club Echo at Elk Cabins and also met the new owners and their son who cooked us a great lunch.  The trail was sled packed full width between Elk Lake and L161 where we headed up to Charlton on the L161, needless to say this was a quick ride.  The open fields were a little drifted but still very rideable at slightly over the speed limit.  We took the L162 from Charlton north-west for the first time ever up to the "A" trail and despite the deep snow and heavy drifting had a great ride through this beautiful bush trail.  The other couple was riding two-up on an RX-1 and her butt was getting sore so we slowed down to soften the chatter a little.  The ride ended perfectly with the sun at our back and another 240km in the bag.

DSC00054_zps88669033.jpg

DSC00056_zps3437b467.jpg

nice to hear from you,nice report & pics...thx

Andre I completely gapped on our Friday ride and forgot to share. We had a pretty big day.  We left Long Point and headed for Gowganda then took the L136 across to Macphearsons to gas up.  From there we took the A trail back down to L103, and from there the A108 around to the A110Q out by larder lake and the A109 back around south to A108 down to Engleheart.  We got back on the trail and over to Charlton where we caught the L162 back up to the A trail, and then back on the A trail back to elk lake, and then on the A107C back home.  It was a 272 mile loop all said and done, 450 km.  It was a fantastic day like you said like being on a cloud and only had to back track a little bit the whole day.  

L162 is one of my absolute favorite trails around bar none, and the A110Q out near Larder.

Andre I completely gapped on our Friday ride and forgot to share. We had a pretty big day.  We left Long Point and headed for Gowganda then took the L136 across to Macphearsons to gas up.  From there we took the A trail back down to L103, and from there the A108 around to the A110Q out by larder lake and the A109 back around south to A108 down to Engleheart.  We got back on the trail and over to Charlton where we caught the L162 back up to the A trail, and then back on the A trail back to elk lake, and then on the A107C back home.  It was a 272 mile loop all said and done, 450 km.  It was a fantastic day like you said like being on a cloud and only had to back track a little bit the whole day.  

L162 is one of my absolute favorite trails around bar none, and the A110Q out near Larder.

Holy Cow, quite the ride!

Have you tried the trail out to the Quebec border?  I heard this past week that locals were grooming the OFSC trail from Kearns across the highway from the restaurant (closed) out to the border.

Have you tried the trail out to the Quebec border?  I heard this past week that locals were grooming the OFSC trail from Kearns across the highway from the restaurant (closed) out to the border.

No I have not because I didn't want to end up stuck somewhere and I don't know the trail from Larder to Vtown down the lake so we just avoided that area this winter.  Its a shame because that makes a great loop for us.  

We tried to cover a few different clubs last week haha.  I have told Dennis before I have ridden the entire Echo system in a single day he just shakes his head at me.

Awesome!  We're headed to Gowganda on Friday, daytrip from there for the week-end.

FYI this is not the weekend to ride that area... :icon_photo:

'Splain, please.

Have your boots on at all time's......sleep with one eye open.....may see u up there.

nice to hear from you,nice report & pics...thx

DSC00054_zps88669033.jpg

DSC00056_zps3437b467.jpg

it was nice to meet you guys last saturday,what,did he actually go off trail with the rx1,we had a great day also,have fun doing the canyon

Had a great ride yesterday! The A trail headed south from elk lake was freshly groomed and we the first tracks down headed south. Lots of snow falling up here almost a daily basis!

A107c got flattened last night was drooling as we drove home!

On a different note I clicked off 10,000 km this season yesterday. We have a trip planned to Val dor next weekend hoping to bust 11k

The restaurant......The Bar.....is it still closed? I have spent some time in there over the years. Haven't been up that way since the A108Q closed.

Had a great ride yesterday! The A trail headed south from elk lake was freshly groomed and we the first tracks down headed south. Lots of snow falling up here almost a daily basis!

A107c got flattened last night was drooling as we drove home!

On a different note I clicked off 10,000 km this season yesterday. We have a trip planned to Val dor next weekend hoping to bust 11k

Conditions are insanely good,that,s a good chunk of miles,way to go,i'm only at 6000 km,but i only ride 2 days a week,lol

Conditions are insanely good,that,s a good chunk of miles,way to go,i'm only at 6000 km,but i only ride 2 days a week,lol

Me too on the two days a week, except march break I rode a few days that week.  

I would love more info on the A108Q out by Vtown.  If anyone has a status on that I would appreciate it might return to Ontario from our Quebec ride via that trail this weekend.

Me too on the two days a week, except march break I rode a few days that week.  

I would love more info on the A108Q out by Vtown.  If anyone has a status on that I would appreciate it might return to Ontario from our Quebec ride via that trail this weekend.

Hi Jamie, I belive that trail is gone now, it has been replaced with a different trail and number.....the old A108Q was a awesome trail. Looks like it is A107Q, or L191to go into Notre Dam De Nord.......the A110Q shows closed into Vtown......maybe Ultrafrozen would have some first hand info. though.

Hi Jamie, I belive that trail is gone now, it has been replaced with a different trail and number.....the old A108Q was a awesome trail. Looks like it is A107Q, or L191to go into Notre Dam De Nord.......the A110Q shows closed into Vtown......maybe Ultrafrozen would have some first hand info. though.

Sorry I mentioned the wrong trail its the A110Q I am interested in which goes to Vtown.  I understand the lake can be run from Larder out but would prefer to stay off a body of water I do not know.

Archived