Northern Ontario Update

revrnd

A couple of weeks ago I did a loop thru the Soo - Wawa - Foleyet - Sudbury and back to Apsley w/ the travel trailer. I've got some notes on the trip that I'll have to go thru. Some on trails others not but maybe helpful for highway travel. The Pioneer south of Sudbury looks much more inviting w/ the new exterior.

If anyone's interested there's 3 vacant motels in the Wawa area if anyone's interested. I didn't realise that the closed Big Bird Motel was right on the main drag in town. The other 2 are on Hwy 17 south of the big goose.

... there's 3 vacant motels in the Wawa area if anyone's interested.

Sorry to hear about that. We usually stay at the Wawa Motor Inn, but reviews on this forum of the smaller establishments were encouraging.

Friends who have a 12 unit motel in Florida say the smaller hotels are tough units to operate. A few more rooms and you can hire staff; at this size, you're on your own. 

Slomo, buy the bride a motel for her birthday. She can put all the tools you've lovingly acquired for her to good use. :)

the big bird has been closed for years. i am guessing it closed almost 10 years ago. (mo would know for sure). the others on 17, have been closed longer than that. all of them are beyond repair and need to be completely torn down, and started over. the big bird had frozen pipes and water damage, due to no heat the first winter, and they didnt shut the water off. LOTS OF DAMAGE TO THE STRUCTURE.

ski

I am interested in the motel's, if the town will let me put chickens in them. The sledders will receive a huge discount and fresh poultry for supper. I will supply the grill!

Erik, Mo had sent me some pics a few years ago when she was sending me some updates. They look worse in person.

McKerrow:

Goodman's Motel What is the status of this place? Part of the building suffered fire damage some time ago. When we drove by, there were lights on in front of the units. 

Gas station in McKerrow closed?

Massey:

Pine Grove Motel CLOSED

Spanish:

Vance's Motor Inn is now the Auberge Spanish River Inn

Blind River:

The establishment @ the west end of town on the Potomac River has reopened as Pier 17. It offers food & lodgings.

Willie's Gas has CLOSED, but the Broken Canoe Gas Bar is still open.

Iron Bridge:

Village Inn (on east side of town) What is the status of this place? It didn't look too promising while passing by. Not sure if the adjoining restaurant (Elly's Diner) was open.

McCoy's Motel still CLOSED.

The other motels looked like they were open for business.

Brownlee:

Gas station CLOSED at this location

Thessalon:

Can-op gas station at the jct of Hwys 17 & 129 CLOSED.

Sault Ste. Marie:

Shady Pines Motel located on Hwy 17 east of the Soo. May be a last resort if travelling by highway.

Marriott is building a new hotel on Hwy 17 north of the water tower

Villa Inn Motel is currently under renovation

Heyden:

Mountain Ash Inn still CLOSED.

Pruce's or Bruce's Motel (hard to tell due to the signage font) is CLOSED.

Esso staion was open

Goulais River:

Blueberry Hill Motel on Hwy 17 open

Can-Op gas is open

Batchawana Bay:

McCauley Motel on Hwy 17 is open

Voyageur's Lodge on Hwy 17 is open with food, lodgings and gas

Pancake Bay:

Smith's Motel on Hwy 17 is open

Gas is also available

Sawpit Bay Motel north of Prov' Park is open

Montreal River:

Gas is available

Wawa:

The White Fang, Best Northern, High Falls, Parkway & Mystic Isle motels were open on Hwy 17

There's an Esso & no name gas bar open on Hwy 17 just south of the big goose rest area. The Petrocan in town was open. I didn't notice the Husky which is off of Hwy 101.

The Bristol, Sportsman & Algoma motels in town were open.

Chapleau:

Golden Route Lodge west of Hwy 129 on Hwy 101 has gas

Blue Heron Inn B & B What is status of this business? No vehicles in parking lot, but sign said "No Vacancy"

This info is correct as of July 21st, 2013. A friend that used to live in the Soo said a lot of businesses close up for the winter, so judge yourself accordingly

Heyden:Pruce's or Bruce's Motel (hard to tell due to the signage font) is CLOSED.

Montreal River:

Gas is available

This info is correct as of July 21st, 2013. A friend that used to live in the Soo said a lot of businesses close up for the winter, so judge yourself accordingly

It is Pruce's

What gas in Montreal River?  If it is the one I am thinking of (but can't remember the name at the moment :-( ), it usually closes after hunting season.

SJ, thanks for the info.

Yes, about the Montreal River gas, I imagine it and a few of the other establishments are warm weather businesses. I'm pretty sure as you head north on 17 out of the Soo there's an overhead sign about limited services. 

the gas station at the montreal river hill on 17 used to be open year round, the last 2-3 years, it has been seasonal and closed in the winter. no gas, no rest stops in the winter months, from Goulais to wawa 200km + or-. dont push your gas mileage luck, top off in the soo or before goulais, enroute to wawa. catch a storm, and the road closes, you cant back track out.  Ski

the gas station at the montreal river hill on 17 used to be open year round, the last 2-3 years, it has been seasonal and closed in the winter. no gas, no rest stops in the winter months, from Goulais to wawa 200km + or-. dont push your gas mileage luck, top off in the soo or before goulais, enroute to wawa. catch a storm, and the road closes, you cant back track out.  Ski

Do you remember the name?  It is bugging me.  Northland?

I don't recall.

i think it is northland. they had a small store, gas bar, and diner. Ski

i think it is northland. they had a small store, gas bar, and diner. Ski

Sounds familar!

• 1 month later...

Chapleau:

Blue Heron Inn B & B What is status of this business? No vehicles in parking lot, but sign said "No Vacancy"

I checked the website that I had in the database & it's dead.

• 2 weeks later...

batchwana, and pancake bay, montreal river businesses are all closed in the winter. seasonal... spring/summer, early fall, only. there are NO SERVICES between the soo and wawa for winter travel, PLAN AHEAD.

if they close 17 north of the soo for weather, you can wait it out (may take hours, may take days) or ... go back to heyden (gas up), head east, cross over to 129 via ranger lake (plowed and sanded, well maintained), and take 129 north to chapleau and on to wawa. it is ALOT longer but, you keep moving.  Ski

Thanks, Ski. Probably wouldn't  'go east from Heyden' without someone who has local knowledge, but filed it away anyhow. Sledjunk has gps(ssss) and can get us out of a jam. :).

Thanks, Ski. Probably wouldn't  'go east from Heyden' without someone who has local knowledge, but filed it away anyhow. Sledjunk has gps(ssss) and can get us out of a jam. :).

I also have some local, albeit ancient knowledge of the area.  Used to hunt and fish back of Ranger Lake in another life. :-)

I also have some local, albeit ancient knowledge of the area.  Used to hunt and fish back of Ranger Lake in another life. :-)

musta been another life,from what i've seen you don't even like running over tree seedlings now....you definitly have the patience for hunting...pretty good at hunting down the right trail now though...

Ski, thanks for confirming that I knew back in trhe 80s that was the situation (a friend lived in the Sault during his college stay @ Algoma.

We back roaded it from Elliot Lake to the Sault via Aubrey Falls & Ranger Lake 1 day back in '82 or '83.

it really is not that bad. from heyden to searchmont is all paved, and well marked. from searchmont you just need to find ranger lake road. it is gravel but, very well maintained. gps should show the way but, it is mapped very well on most road maps and even mapquest. if you catch it right after a storm, some people ride their sleds down ranger lake road to cut time and miles off the trail to aubrey falls/chapleau. once your get to hwy 129 you are north of aubrey falls by a few miles, and the road to chapleau is a newer well maintained paved two lane hwy. Ski

Hwy 101 from Chapleau to Wawa is in good shape. East from 129 to Foleyet is quite rough. 

you want rough? the last time we were on129 south from aubrey falls to just north of the tunnel lake trading post (north of thessalon). whew!  we have not been on it in 2 years.

i will agree 101 from wawa to chapleau, is a nice stretch of highway. Ski

Archived