RAP Tour 2013

revrnd

861792_10151235115987434_1589199121_n.jpg?oh=570dbef1b192fc3107d711a036f08b02&oe=51381E06&__gda__=1362645408_214caed131e44097888c268e09cd850d

Love the picture of the tall, straight trees. Rode similar trails and loved the feeling of looking up. Felt like being in a Cathedral.

Anyhow, great report and pics. Thx

great pics...thx

Top A was a mess till we got out about an hour away from Mattawa...

Stayed at the Algonquin Motel in South River, was okay nothing fancy but weren't expecting too much

Valois Motel in Mattawa, loved it, nice clean rooms, restaurant was really good...good trail access

Best Western Pembrooke- really nice place, good trail access, pool & hot tub...

Spectacle Lake Lodge- the highlight of the trip, stayed there the night of the storm....best of the best...

Pinestone Inn in Haliburton- nice place, no hot tub but restaurant was really good, Have always loved Haliburton....

We also stopped in at Dinner Bell and had lunch food was really good... also hit a restaurant in Rolphton that was really good...

What's up with Top A near Mattawa?

I recall "groomer down".

Give yourself more time if it's still SNAFU.

Apparently Mattawa's new groomer is down. Dist' 5 was sending a groomer but there were issues geting it "floated" there. From the Brent Road where Missing Link & Mattawa west to the turnoff to GolfNSki, TOP A was a bit choppy, but it was worse for the 10 miles to the Mattawa turnoff. It was OK west towards the 630 road crossing.

Anyone doing the RAP between Wed March 13 and Sunday March 17. I'm going to be up that way already. This is something I've always wanted to do too. (like so many things)

Anyone doing the RAP between Wed March 13 and Sunday March 17. I'm going to be up that way already. This is something I've always wanted to do too. (like so many things)

Crazy. Going to be 8 degree's this weekend. Not looking good.

Not good timing.

Waaaay too late unless you are doing it in a truck.

Sorry.

Post pictures if you go.

Not good timing.

Waaaay too late unless you are doing it in a

truck.

Sorry.

X2. Hailburton snow will be gone soon, with the temps in the high single digits.

Post pictures if you go.

LondonCalling, check w/ the NNTA. TOP D entails 7 miles of road running south of A101D. I don't know if the "old route" (includes SSR700) has much if any road running. From that area across the top of the Park to Pembroke/Petawawa has very little road runnning. From Pembroke down to the Whitney/Barry's Bay railbed had a lot of snow.

LondonCalling, check w/ the NNTA. TOP D entails 7 miles of road running south of A101D. I don't know if the "old route" (includes SSR700) has much if any road running.

There's a sign at the intersection, heading north, warning about TOP D and suggesting the route via SSR700.

LOTS of other road running on RAP, so beware.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Guess I wont be doing the rap after all. I had no idea such a tourism route would have that much road running.

Still open to whatever. I'll be riding no matter what. If solo, then probably real short jaunts around New Liskeard or to Kirkland Lake etc. Worst case scenario truck and trailer to the portage and just ride around North Bay area. Or May truck and trailer around and do various short jaunts in various locations. Anyone interested is welcome. I've even been know to sleep in the truck on occasion. My season ends on March 16 so doing as much as I can while up there.

I had no idea such a tourism route would have that much road running.

This section isn't perfect. Sometime after I did the RAP tour in '96 (no road running in the Powassan area) there were landowner issues. This resulted in several years of no link in the area.

• 1 year later...

This section isn't perfect. Sometime after I did the RAP tour in '96 (no road running in the Powassan area) there were landowner issues. This resulted in several years of no link in the area.

I missed a sign and ended up at north end of top D at trout creek! Had to run the road for 17 Km's before I linked up with the trail d north again! Never going that way again!

Archived