Gas in Elk Lake

4stroke

Was riding up in the Elk Lake Area with a few other guys, on our annual trip. I'm glad to see their are a lot of options in the Area for food and rooms but what are you doing about the gas situation? I arrived at approximately 5pm on Saturday to find out the local gas station was closed. We were then referred to go over to the elk lake eco centre for help, hot meal and warmth. The Eco centre made some calls while we warmed up by the fireplace and got us some gas. Very thankful for them! and the food was excellent.

When I arrived back home I talked to a few other groups of sledders and they said they avoided the area completely due to no gas.

Hats go off to the Elk Lake Eco Centre for taking care of us.

Was riding up in the Elk Lake Area with a few other guys, on our annual trip. I'm glad to see their are a lot of options in the Area for food and rooms but what are you doing about the gas situation? I arrived at approximately 5pm on Saturday to find out the local gas station was closed. We were then referred to go over to the elk lake eco centre for help, hot meal and warmth. The Eco centre made some calls while we warmed up by the fireplace and got us some gas. Very thankful for them! and the food was excellent.

When I arrived back home I talked to a few other groups of sledders and they said they avoided the area completely due to no gas.

Hats go off to the Elk Lake Eco Centre for taking care of us.

Elk Lake and area have awesome trails. I feel sorry for those who stay away. As mentioned, Elk Cabins has gas, Earlton, Englehart, Gowganda and Matachewan all have gas as well. You need to travel through all these communities to get to Elk Lake.

Elk Lake and area have awesome trails. I feel sorry for those who stay away. As mentioned, Elk Cabins has gas, Earlton, Englehart, Gowganda and Matachewan all have gas as well. You need to travel through all these communities to get to Elk Lake.

Well said... I believe there is more behind this post than gas.. We have mentioned where to get gas numerous times here on O.C.

Ron

A couple of weeks ago I was heading south on the 400 Hwy. I wanted to get gas at the service centre at Hwy 89. When I got there I discovered it was being torn down. Not to worry, I had enough gas to get to the service centre just north of Major Mac. To my dismay, that one had all pumps closed for maintenance. Too much stress! I'm never driving on the 400 again.

A couple of weeks ago I was heading south on the 400 Hwy. I wanted to get gas at the service centre at Hwy 89. When I got there I discovered it was being torn down. Not to worry, I had enough gas to get to the service centre just

north of Major Mac. To my dismay, that one had

all pumps closed for maintenance. Too much

stress! I'm never driving on the 400 again.

They are rebuilding all of them at once. Same thing along 401, too. Just have got gas in orilla, cheaper too.

Well said... I believe there is more behind this post than gas.. We have mentioned where to get gas numerous times here on O.C.

Ron

I think you are right Ron, funny how all of a sudden there all these "new" members posting about how great the Elk Lake Eco Centre is?

I think you are right Ron, funny how all of a sudden there all these "new" members posting about how great the Elk Lake Eco Centre is?

Hi, I own and operate Spruce Shilling Camp. I have gas, oil and a grocery store as well as cottages and an LCBO Agency Store, just like you Ron. This gas station has been here 50 years. I've owned it for 18 and I've never yet once run out of gas. So you can depend on us if you need gas or oil. And yeah Ron, I have to agree, something is amiss here. Why now after all this time?

• 1 month later...

My group and I rode through the area the first week of February on the way from New Liskeard to Three Bears. We stopped for gas in Elk Lake, had lunch at the Eco Lodge, stopped for a warm up and snacks at Gowganda Lake Camp. Ron was out grooming but his wife invited us in and got us coffee and tea, some snacks and told us a few stories. Very nice area and lots of good people. I will be back for sure.

BP

Is the gas station in Elk Lake open on Sundays? We, along w/ another group had to do the telephone & wait routine after leaving New Liskeard.

Is the gas station in Elk Lake open on Sundays? We, along w/ another group had to do the telephone & wait routine after leaving New Liskeard.

Had to do the same thing in shinning tree 4 years ago. Never know if the tanks will be empty, when you get there.

They were open from 10am until 2 pm I think. I heard they were shutting down the pumps at the end of the sledding season. Worth a call to Elk Lake Work and Play if you are heading that way in the future. Art at Elk Cabins was getting a second or a bigger above ground tank If I remember right.

My group and I rode through the area the first week of February on the way from New Liskeard to Three Bears. We stopped for gas in Elk Lake, had lunch at the Eco Lodge, stopped for a warm up and snacks at Gowganda Lake Camp. Ron was out grooming but his wife invited us in and got us coffee and tea, some snacks and told us a few stories. Very nice area and lots of good people. I will be back for sure.

BP

Ron and Giselle at Gowganda Lake Camp are top notch.They are always on our list of places to stay.

• 4 weeks later...

Elk Lake Work and Play is now closed and moved out.

We have installed larger brand new tanks for next season open 7 days a week problem solved.

We have installed larger brand new tanks for next season open 7 days a week problem solved.

Thanks for the update and your efforts!

Sounds good Art. Glad to hear it. Enjoyed our stop in there with the OC riders group this past season. Will most definatly be back next season..

Archived