ELK LAKE ECO CENTRE

Giddy UP

It is hard to change policy's. There is grant money available for private business too. Just have to do your own research to see what you qualify for. I know several business that got grant money for things such as new septic tanks to protect water quality, improvements to structures that improve third efficancy. I just got

a 5k in grant money for installing led lighting in

my small business, as a example. Too bad

private business aren't getting stabilization

payments too. It shouldn't be all One sided like

that. Fight could drag on for years. Why don't you just elimate the trail that goes to the Eco centre. That would help to redirect traffic to small private businesses.

Hi Viperules 700

Ya not really a question whether they get grant money or not but excepting money with a non complete clause that they are not to have anything to do with tourism

then taking that money to compete against area business is what we have a issue with.

If they were not in the tourism business i really would not care how much money they get.

If they were attracting business meeting and conferences and training like the intent then the more money they get the better.

We are not advocating putting them out of business just not putting us out of business.

Cheers

By Giddy posting again it has accomplished two things the way I see it. Many more people are again given the true facts regarding the eco center, and more importantly has brought more attention to Elk Cabins in the Elk Lake area. :icon_photo: providing gas, food and accomodation. Over the next few years our trails system is only going to get better with the latest purchases of Equipment and the increased involvement from all the area business owners.

Also managed to get a few of the other tourism folks around there out of the wood work and onto the forum so that southern sledders get to know their contributions to sledding in the area....Golden Eagle (Bruce still a groomer operator?) , Elk Lake Cabins, all the good folks in Shining Tree and Gowganda we read about during sledding season.

I think the OFSC needs a division in its policy makers made up exclusively of business owners....governments and other regulators will listen more carefully to those providing jobs and economies.

First of all I am not an Eco center resource employee, I live in Barrie, I am not against anyone in this situation, but if I were to be a citizen of your beautiful town of elk lake and did pay the taxes and if it were true that they had built te Eco resource center with your taxe money, well wouldn't you want to use the resource center, technically you guys paid for it, its there, use the F*ucking thing. On other hands, the OFSC is not all volunteers, I have to pay for a trail pass every year and I would imagine that it cost a lot to keep your trails beautiful, I would beleive that the money from the trail pass sold would be separated in section within the province so that the local trails can get maintained by locals citizen.

Thank you for your time

Sincerely, Tom

Faceman, I do understand the point here, all hats go off to those who take care of the trails i ride. I was just making a statement about the earlier comment that one posted about how its ALL volunteers that take care of the trails. If i pay for a trail pass every year tell me where my money goes then?

I think this forum is gone overboard, anyways take her easy, enjoy the trails!!!

This is good. I just about crapped my pants when Giddy made the post and was going to respond but thought better. The Elk ECO is a direct slap in the face to everyone independant outfitter/operator trying to make a living. No commitment and no recourse, not their money. Apparently nice spot, passed it several times, will not darken the door. Anyways...carry one, winter is still here folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cheers

Edit...tilt...Tom...please before you shoot your keyboard off ..do not confuse the Eco Lodge with the OFSC and don't taint the post. Bottom line is if you travel the north you will find many FEDNOR projects ,some are good, may are bad. Anything that runs direct competition ( gov't funding) again private is not a good thing. So, whether we paid for it or not is NOT that point. Did you know you paid for it???

What does this have to do with the volunteers who keep these trails open? whether they run a business or not they still dedicate countless hours and time.

This is good. I just about crapped my pants when Giddy made the post and was going to respond but thought better. The Elk ECO is a direct slap in the face to everyone independant outfitter/operator trying to make a living. No commitment and no recourse, not their money. Apparently nice spot, passed it several times, will not darken the door. Anyways...carry one, winter is still here folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Cheers

Hey Randy :wavey:

Holy Crap! Well if the Eco Centre was intended as an "Education Center" it has certainly done it's job! I, for one, have now been educated :D I was unaware of the politics and controversy surrounding the place - and I certainly would not have posted this thread had I known of it before hand............ :o

Enjoy the day :wavey:

Hi Leanne!! TFF. Anyways it is good to discuss. How is Mr Giddy?

Can any one remember Yesterdays Resort on the french river,

Now its :On The French: , With full govermont money!

They called & wanted to know when we were going to put a trail in the property for them?

Sorry. still not in!!

They called & wanted to know when we were going to put a trail in the property for them?

Sorry. still not in!!

Funny you should bring that up. We stayed there several years ago while still fairly dim about sledding, the trails, business support etc- dropped into your place and had a chat and a hot chocolate.- and later learned that that place has been onthe receiving end of many government grants and forgivable loans. I forget my source for this info, but learned about the Eco Lodge at the same time. Must be a few 'political friends' on the trough.

Sorry. still not in!!

I noticed in the last realator magazine that the place had been sold.That place is going to take a truckload of money to get going again and a annnual delivery to keep it going.As you said once, the only thing you need to do to run a resort is bring money. It's a shame that we are spending our money on someone elses place.Any details you could share?

I also stayed there many years ago when Larry and Janice had the place.I will never forget the CP main line running what felt like right through the cabin.

I guess every area has 1 of these "special" places. I'm pretty sure the Laurentian Lodge near Elliot Lake was gov't backed as well. I think we stayed there in '06 (even met a "Red Hat" there). I think that was the last winter it was open. Not sure if it's open during the summer or not.

This has been interesting:

Not much changed since I first complained about the tactics used by the Eco Center back in 2006 when sad to say one of our own took over the marketing direction.

Looks like it has all been covered but I would like to add just one thing. If the volunteers were compensated for the work they do, how much do you think your trail permits would cost? Something to think about when you make the decision on where you should spend your money.

Hi Leanne!! TFF. Anyways it is good to discuss. How is Mr Giddy?

Mr. Giddy says HI! :wavey: :wavey:

Dear Giddy:

Here is an animation that might come in handy the next time you make a post!

post-19713-0-85845000-1362222203_thumb.g

Sincerely yours

slomo

Yeah! Got that right! Will hesitate to make comments from now on ;):soapbox:

I guess every area has 1 of these "special" places. I'm pretty sure the Laurentian Lodge near Elliot Lake was gov't backed as well. I think we stayed there in '06 (even met a "Red Hat" there). I think that was the last winter it was open. Not sure if it's open during the summer or not.

Do you remember Bark Lake,also government backed. Millions but into that place,not sure what happened to it.

We were past Laurention this summer..It was open. 2006 was the last time for us also..I believe Doug and Melanie were the owners and Rod was the mgr. Great spot

Archived