ELK LAKE ECO CENTRE

Giddy UP

Here's a well kept secret! We happened to stop in at the Elk Lake Eco Center (right on A Trail) just south of Elk Lake for lunch. What a fantastic spot! GREAT food AND Great cottages right on the Montreal River as well. Most of the cottages have 6 bedrooms - so a great place for a group to stage from - lots of parking to boot!

Check it out - www.elklakeeco.com

Here's a well kept secret! We happened to stop in at the Elk Lake Eco Center (right on A Trail) just south of Elk Lake for lunch. What a fantastic spot! GREAT food AND Great cottages right on the Montreal River as well. Most of the

cottages have 6 bedrooms - so a great place for

a group to stage from - lots of parking to boot!

Check it out - www.elklakeeco.com

Shhhhhhhh. Don't want to to be like the dinnerbell and can't get a room. Lol.

Giddy....it should be a nice place....lots of government money spent on it at the disadvantage of private entrepreneurs and their work and effort. Glad you stayed at Quick's in Gowganda....the hardest working lodge owning people I have ever seen!

ABSOLUTELY!! I totally agree with you Slomo :right_on: However, it was Ron that recommended that we stop there for lunch one day because the food is so good :)

Giddy Up, It is nice to hear that you supported Gowganda Lake Camp (a large volunteer for our club). May we suggest the next time you are in the area to support another large volunteer and have lunch at his place..Elk Cabins. The most delicious pizza you have ever tasted and they serve wings as well. If you are a large group, advance notice is appreciated to better serve you. Art and Mavis help the club at the drop of a hat and we are very thankful. So, we want to support all of our volunteers, since all volunteers for our club are tourist outfitters working not only on the trails for you but also in their businesses to accommodate you.

The Eco Center, for one, is government funded entity and secondly, a FREE LOADER of the trails that our volunteers maintain. The Eco Center does not have financial obligations, such as Mortgage and loans. Private tourist outfitters, however, do. Supporting the Eco Center will only discourage the private tourist outfitters who help maintain the trails.

From the Directors of G.E.M. Trail Blazers

Giddy Up, It is nice to hear that you supported Gowganda Lake Camp (a large volunteer for our club). May we suggest the next time you are in the area to support another large volunteer and have lunch at his place..Elk Cabins. The most delicious pizza you have ever tasted and they serve wings as well. If you are a large group, advance notice is appreciated to better serve you. Art and Mavis help the club at the drop of a hat and we are very thankful. So, we want to support all of our volunteers, since all volunteers for our club are tourist outfitters working not only on the trails for you but also in their businesses to accommodate you.

The Eco Center, for one, is government funded entity and secondly, a FREE LOADER of the trails that our volunteers maintain. The Eco Center does not have financial obligations, such as Mortgage and loans. Private tourist outfitters, however, do. Supporting the Eco Center will only discourage the private tourist outfitters who help maintain the trails.

YES - we did eat there on the first day out! Great place - FANTASTIC PIZZA! Also right off A trail and a short hop across the river :D I will post about them as well - thanks for the reminder ;)

Myself and our crew Stayed at the Elk Lake Eco Centre a few weeks back. Never heard about it before. Truly is a great secret Giddy.

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend! the food, service and accommodations were fantastic. Not to forget there beautiful stone fireplace.

Chalets were clean, cozy and warm. I cannot complain.

Glad to see the government put their money into good use, if this is what you say...

If you happen to swing by try the pulled pork!

Will be returning no doubt.

Check it out at www.elklakeeco.com

Sledder94, I think you misunderstand the use of government money for the Elk Lake Eco Centre. The Centre was built as a conference centre for the forestry industry, but when it couldn't sustain itself, it started offering services to tourists. This is in direct violation of the non-compete clause in the funding agreements. So they are now using my tax dollars to compete against me. Put yourself in our shoes... whatever business you're in, I'm sure you wouldn't want to have a beautiful facility built for your competitor with the money you scraped together to pay your taxes.

To make matters worse, they do absolutely nothing to support the snowmobile club or help maintain the trails.

ABSOLUTELY!! I totally agree with you Slomo :right_on: However, it was Ron that recommended that we stop there for lunch one day because the food is so good :)

Hi Giddy Up (side down)

Maybe a misunderstanding or maybe I should have made the time to explain the situation to you. When you asked if there was anywhere that served food in elk Lake I did reluctantly give you the Eco;s name because at that time I did not know Elk Cabins was serving lunch to snowmobilers and if I had I would have pointed you to them. I honestly could not tell you how the eco's food was because I have never eaten there,or even stepped foot inside . I have had this discussion a hundred times with guests/sledders but that morning was very busy and there was not time to sit down and explain the politics of the area and the Eco before you hit the trails. I appologize that this has led to you being put into the middle of this discussion.

We do not support the Center in Elk Lake because they are a gov't funded organization that was built for the purpose of education , business conferences etc. After closing once the center was given more funding to reopen and ever since has been competing directly with Private local business's . This is why we ask people to not support the eco . It is a tight enough economy to have to compete against gov't funded organizations.

Sincerely

Ron

Hi Giddy Up (side down)

Maybe a misunderstanding or maybe I should have made the time to explain the situation to you. When you asked if there was anywhere that served food in elk Lake I did reluctantly give you the Eco;s name because at that time I did not know Elk Cabins was serving lunch to snowmobilers and if I had I would have pointed you to them. I honestly could not tell you how the eco's food was because I have never eaten there,or even stepped foot inside . I have had this discussion a hundred times with guests/sledders but that morning was very busy and there was not time to sit down and explain the politics of the area and the Eco before you hit the trails. I appologize that this has led to you being put into the middle of this discussion.

We do not support the Center in Elk Lake because they are a gov't funded organization that was built for the purpose of education , business conferences etc. After closing once the center was given more funding to reopen and ever since has been competing directly with Private local business's . This is why we ask people to not support the eco . It is a tight enough economy to have to compete against gov't funded organizations.

Sincerely

Ron

I wasn't aware of the situation. It is a nice place but like any other community, there are political understories that only surface during more in depth convesations.

If I do the KL - Elk Lake - Earlton loop soon, I'll make sure to stop by Elk Cabins for lunch. Good place to gas-up the sleds as well since Work and Play is closed Sundays.

Hi, I recently looked at the Eco center website and they do not advertise anything about hunting, fishing or any outdoor activity, they seem to have lots of weddings there, it seems that you camp owners are loosing business and bitching about a business thats not even a camp! If you were complaining about another camp then i would understand but its not, not even close, its considered a resourt. Yea your loosing business but deal with it, it's a dog eat dog world. You guys sound like a bunch of two year old girls. Anyways you northern folks have a good day!

Wow sounds like you guys have some problems to sort out!

All I was looking to share was my experience there. At the end of the day It doesnt really matter how the place has gotten there, all I want is the good food and cozy beds.

From a tourists point of view, Im not interested in the conflict you seem to have, and if I want to spend the money on the place I will. It is truly very unfortunate you dont all work together. Imagine the tourists you are turning away. No one wants to support a business thats in war with another...

I am glad i discovered the place so I could return and bring my wife for a fancy weekend, also I will continue to pass on the word of the beautiful resort. The logs inside are magnificent.

Thank you for your time,

also I previously worked for a funding company, I do believe yourselves as camp owners are eligible for funding aswell. therefore fair game no?

So let me get this right sledder 94 / sleddy 12 you fully support a goverment funded ( your tax dollers ) registered nonprofit organization that was built for the purpose of education and business meetings. That has an non compete clause built into their funding agreement. That has zero do to with the trails you ride on in anyway. You would rather support them rather then the area business that work their ass off to provide you with the trails you enjoy. So every dollar you spend there goes nowhere but in their pockets. Instead of area business that put time and money back into the trail system. Think about that when the northeren trails you enjoy start to disappear. If it was an even playfield we would not have this attitude but it is not. they have all ready been bailed out by the goverment once and owe you the taxpayer over $750.000.00 and continue to get money. if any of us operated this way our banks would have forclosed along time ago.So when and if you go back, ask for you stay for free they owe it to you.

Sounds like a place that hemorridges Tax dollars

That Eco centre sounds like the deerhurst of your area. It's a shame, they don't help with the trails around the area though. I try hard not to support free loading businesses.

Oh my goodness - I was not aware of the Politics and controversy surrounding this place and if I had I would not have started this post! I guess this is why we have never heard of it before. Having said that - this is a public forum for sledders to post their experiences and great places to eat and stay and we want to "tell it like it is" - that's why we are here :D. It would appear that there are few options of places to eat in Elk Lake which is what took us to Eco Lodge in the first place. We also stopped by Elk Cabins on a different day and they definitely have the BEST PIZZA EVER - as well as gas. I would most definitely prefer to support those businesses that support the snowmobile community - that is always my mandate when planning our trips. However, when you are cold and hungry - any port in the storm will do ;) In future when we are in the area we Elk Cabins will be our first choice ;)

Thanks Giddy Up Sorry you got put in the center,

but as you can tell most of the area business are very pasionate but frustrated with competeing against our own tax dollars.

When they are not even suppose to be in the tourism business in the first place.

Accoring to their funding agreement.

It is unfortunate that there is few places to eat in Elk Lake.

But one of the reason the chip stand closed for the winter was because of the Eco Centre.

If it was not for that we would have more options.

Thanks for your input and honesty.

Hey Guys & Gals, and I say Gals because I see almost as many Gals on sleds as you Guys. And they're riding bigger ones. :icon_hyper:

I don't have a dog in this fight but I've been privileged to hear about it for the last few years, as I'm in Shining Tree. I often wondered how long it would take before this got on to a public forum like this. I want to say one thing and then I'll shut up.

A nice big fireplace, good food and a nice place to sleep....priceless!! But if you don't have a trail to get there, it won't do you much good, will it?

I would tend to support the people that work their asses off, whether volunteer or paid, to keep the trails groomed and open. Which the one entity never has and never will. But I guess when there are no trails left, you could drive up there to stay and eat. I've been here over 40 years and I know what I'm talking about. I've watched it coming.

Thanks for listening....

DARKSIDE

Hey Guys & Gals, and I say Gals because I see almost as many Gals on sleds as you Guys. And they're riding bigger ones. :icon_hyper:

I don't have a dog in this fight but I've been privileged to hear about it for the last few years, as I'm in Shining Tree. I often wondered how long it would take before this got on to a public forum like this. I want to say one thing and then I'll shut up.

A nice big fireplace, good food and a nice place to sleep....priceless!! But if you don't have a trail to get there, it won't do you much good, will it?

I would tend to support the people that work their asses off, whether volunteer or paid, to keep the trails groomed and open. Which the one entity never has and never will. But I guess when there are no trails left, you could drive up there to stay and eat. I've been here over 40 years and I know what I'm talking about. I've watched it coming.

Thanks for listening....

DARKSIDE

You beat me to it. No camp owners and volunteers to maintain the trails = trail closures.

Trail closures = no sled access to the Eco center.

Thanks for listening....

DARKSIDE

Keep those pumps open.....thankyou.....had a good laugh there a few weekends ago when all those yamahs were on the rope coming in there..they were dropping like flies on the trail..... :cheers:

BRAVO!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness - I was not aware of the Politics and controversy surrounding this place and if I had I would not have started this post! I guess this is why we have never heard of it before. Having said that - this is a public forum for sledders to post their experiences and great places to eat and stay and we want to "tell it like it is" - that's why we are here :D. It would appear that there are few options of places to eat in Elk Lake which is what took us to Eco Lodge in the first place. We also stopped by Elk Cabins on a different day and they definitely have the BEST PIZZA EVER - as well as gas. I would most definitely prefer to support those businesses that support the snowmobile community - that is always my mandate when planning our trips. However, when you are cold and hungry - any port in the storm will do ;) In future when we are in the area we Elk Cabins will be our first choice ;)

I can't say I wasn't warned ! Everyone told me once Giddy and crew came to town the area would never be the same. :drool2: LOL... Actually this is not the first time this has been posted here. A few years back this same topic was brought up and i believe Slomo was part of that conversation then .

By Giddy posting again it has accomplished two things the way I see it. Many more people are again given the true facts regarding the eco center, and more importantly has brought more attention to Elk Cabins in the Elk Lake area. :icon_photo: providing gas, food and accomodation. Over the next few years our trails system is only going to get better with the latest purchases of Equipment and the increased involvement from all the area business owners.

Sledder94, I think you misunderstand the use of government money for the Elk Lake Eco Centre. The Centre was built as a conference centre for the forestry industry, but when it couldn't sustain itself, it started offering services to tourists. This is in direct violation of the non-compete clause in the funding agreements. So they are now using my tax dollars to compete against me. Put yourself in our shoes... whatever business you're in, I'm sure you wouldn't want to have a beautiful facility built for your competitor with the money you scraped together to pay your taxes.

To make matters worse, they do absolutely nothing to support the snowmobile club or help maintain the trails.

So we can fund a resort but not a railway that provides thousands of jobs. hmmm

Might not be the right place but i going to put it out there.

Starting three years ago we sat with many officials to discuss the Eco Centre and their business practices.

Nobody that we talked to would disagree with our stantpoint.

The problem we encounterd was nobody was willing to do anything about it.

Two years ago with the help of now retired MPP David Ramesy we were able to launch an investigation againt the Eco Centre.

Which has been delayed because they were suppose to produce a sustainability report on how they were not going to be a further burden on the tax payer in the furture.

And how they were going to pay back the Ontario tax payer the monies they owe.

So to accoplish this they recieved $70.000 dollers from Fed Nor yes more tax money.

And a year later has not complete the report.

So we have pressured MNDM & NOHFC to move ahead with their investagative report without it.

We are not hopeful that any of this will make a difference.

But if you want to weigh in on how your tax dollers are being spent then maybe a email to the people involved might help before the report is published.

Bruce.Strapp@ontario.ca

mgravelle.mpp@liberal.ola.org

Archived