Try Our Trails Campaign

sledjunk

Free Family Day Weekend Permits are available this year!

See the press release http://gallery.mailc...ils_Jan2013.pdf

Free Family Day Weekend Permits are available this year!

See the press release http://gallery.mailc...ils_Jan2013.pdf

Here is the link to the FAQ which accompanied the Club Bulletin. http://gallery.mailchimp.com/83896085c9d5c9d358e748e25/files/OFSC_TryTrails_QAClubsF.pdf

Some important things to note:

Riders wishing to take advantage of the free weekend must register on-line and obatin a permit (printed on demand). The permit has to be displayed on the sled. This is required to meet the regulations of the MSVA.

Sleds still need vaild registration and insurance.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for adding that info.

Kudos to the folks at OFSC who liased with our provincial government and got this done in such a timely manner.

Great proposal re: fastracking this initiative at the September AGM, Sledjunk.

I agree with baker. Its already going to be crazy now add some noobs and it could be hectic.

X2. Should do it earlier in the year, when people are more likely to purchase a trail pass. Next year I will ride for free on family day, sled in Quebec for a week. Maybe no Ontario pass for me, if I don't get some miles soon.

I would rather see a program to make it very cheap to rent a sled for the weekend to get new people out but that would be hard to do. People who have sleds probably know what the trails are like and didn't purchase a permit for other reasons- but now they get a freebee. Hope I'm wrong and it is a big success.

X2. Should do it earlier in the year, when people are more likely to purchase a trail pass. Next year I will ride for free on family day, sled in Quebec for a week. Maybe no Ontario pass for me, if I don't get some miles soon.

and with that line of thinking one day you will only ride in quebec because ontario will not be an option

and with that line of thinking one day you will only ride in quebec because ontario will not be an option

Just saying this is what people will do. I think it

is a bad idea. I would rather see a three day family weekend permit available for say 80 bucks. That would really help.

Just saying i

Just saying this is what people will do. I think it

is a bad idea. I would rather see a three day family weekend permit available for say 80 bucks. That would really help.

Just saying i

A three day permit is already available for those that would be willing to spend money on it. I believe that there are a number of people who may not use our trails currently but might get out and try them on that weekend. Hopefully it will convert some of them.

Quebec tried it last year and apparently it was a success.

A three day permit is already available for those that would be willing to spend money on it. I believe that there are a number of people who

may not use our trails currently but might get out

and try them on that weekend. Hopefully it will

convert some of them.

Quebec is a different animal. Bad season there is 8 weeks. Guarantee people will bank on riding for free Family day weekend and not bother buying passes anymore here in ontario.

Its a nice idea but I'm not sure what it is expected to accomplish. People aren't gonna go out and buy a sled just because there is a free weekend, and rental sleds already have trail permits. So I have to agree with VR700. The only people who will benefit are the ones who already own sleds but don't want to buy a permit for whatever reason.

Guarantee people will bank on riding for free Family day weekend and not bother buying passes anymore here in ontario.

Maybe one. But he keeps changing his mind. :poke2:

Maybe one. But he keeps changing his mind. :poke2:

Wait and see. Going to put the grand couch up for sale and hang up my gear.

By that weekend trails will have snow and trails will be tip top shape ;)

This will entice permit sales in the future rather than have it for say this weekend when many places don't have anything in tip top shape to ride

excellent idea to hold it that weekend, I already know of a few people out here that will take advantage of it,,as we are within a hr or so or even less of the OFSC trails :D

I think I agree with FreezerBurnt et al about enticing non-club members to get into trailriding. I typically take a spin around town on local non-club trails with the kids in the sleigh. A couple of weeks ago the "I'm Cold !" gripes started, so I borrowed an ofsc trail for about a km, then to the house on the town trails. I must admit I much preferred using the groomed trail to the mogul-infested local trails.

I WILL get a permit, it's just a question of time. Likely next payday. I have an older sled and get the Antique permit discount, which will help. We're so broke we can't afford to pay attention ....

Back to the topic, if folks with just a Tundra or an older beater sled (like mine) took a ride on the free pass weekend to a local marina on club trails and liked it, it might be the fuel needed to get some new blood and money into the OFSC coffers.

I think I agree with FreezerBurnt et al about enticing non-club members to get into trailriding. I typically take a spin around town on local non-club trails with the kids in the sleigh. A couple of weeks ago the "I'm Cold !" gripes started, so I borrowed an ofsc trail for about a km, then to the house on the town trails. I must admit I much preferred using the groomed trail to the mogul-infested local trails.

I WILL get a permit, it's just a question of time. Likely next payday. I have an older sled and get the Antique permit discount, which will help. We're so broke we can't afford to pay attention ....

Back to the topic, if folks with just a Tundra or an older beater sled (like mine) took a ride on the free pass weekend to a local marina on club trails and liked it, it might be the fuel needed to get some new blood and money into the OFSC coffers.

I remember taking my uncle's 72 Capri 400 Motoski on the OFSC trails after working on it and it was smooth as silk and quite enjoyable on the groomed trails

BTW my uncle had a permit on it for the yrs he owned it in early 2000s

A three day permit is already available for those that would be willing to spend money on it. I believe that there are a number of people who may not use our trails currently but might get out and try them on that weekend. Hopefully it will convert some of them.

My question is how is success defined. Simplistically by a lot of people taking advantage of the free window or more importantly enticing those people to buy a permit. After all isn't that what the goal is? If lots of people use the free weekend but there isn't any spin off benefit then it was actually a failure.

You'd be surprised how many people don't "know" about OFSC trails. I introduced 2 'farm/concession road' riders to OFSC trails a few years ago. Also showed some Lake Simcoe ice fishermen the benefits of an OFSC trail permit last year.

How would they know about the benefits of an OFSC trail? If it's illegal to ride a trail without a permit, they didn't ride.

Archived