TSSA Regs - Going to be the End of Small Gas Sellers

bbakernbay

Our local snowmobile restaurant and bar that is a main stop for snowmobilers also sells premium gas from a double walled, above ground storage tank.

A recent TSSA inspection required over $3,000 in modifications, including Emergency shutoof, $600 valve, etc. along with physical barriers to prevent any vehicle from accidentally damaging the tank and resulting in fire or explosion.

We had two very generous companies help by donating and delivering 2 concrete, highway barriers which would have easily added another $1,000 or more to the bill.

Now you know why the Mom & Pop businesses are falling by the wayside and gas is getting to be a problem to find for snowmobilers.

So when you pay an extra 20 cents or so a litre, you can at least feel safe as these tanks are now like Fort Knox.

I could drive into my local 12 pump ESSO station with my SUV and knock over half the pumps in a few minutes but not at the local business trying to serve snowmobilers.

I'm sure that more than one in your area will get a visit soon as well.

hawthorne grill (now c&c) on hwy 169 with trail running beside has same problem....tssa made it too expensive to open pumps of any sort...there is no gas around that area

Sad to hear that news only 5 minutes after I posted.

I can see how small businesses are overwhelmed by bureaucratic regulations and expensive To Do Lists.

The crane operator said their bill would have been over $600 alone plus the cost of the two barriers.

Not a fan of TSSA in general, they don't seem to add any real value or benefit.......... Just BS!!

I was at a local gas station/ restaurant right on the trail last week and the owner was talking about a recent TSSA inspection. Regular complaint relating to more money for upgrades. I made the comment that it sounded like a make-work program. The guy behind me volunteered that he was a TSSA inspector so the conversation quickly ended. They must be blitzing the gas stations all over Ontario.

Not a fan of TSSA in general, they don't seem to add any real value or benefit.......... Just BS!!

They took all of the lock handles off too, several

years ago after a guy left it on and didn't have

the nozzle in the tank properly. No everyone has

to hold the handles down. Soon it will be full serve only and you will need to hold a gas pumping certificate to work there.

only.

All I see TSSA do is "make work projects"

They took all of the lock handles off too, several

years ago after a guy left it on and didn't have

the nozzle in the tank properly. No everyone has

to hold the handles down. Soon it will be full serve only and you will need to hold a gas pumping certificate to work there.

only.

I was going to post that as well when I saw the thread. I'm surprised Mr. Pointyhead didn't follow Oregon's lead and make full service mandatory.

I think Mr. Pointyhead realizes his pass card for the secret washroom at Queens Park is about to go belly up...I would hope he would not make too many more dumba$$ moves?

If you ever have a face to face with a TSSA inspector and you want to shut them down, just say Sunrise Propane. That usually shuts them right up. TSSA gave them a clean review just days before the place blew up.

i am a tssa petroleum mechanic, nothing new to this, these rules have been in place for a long time, i go all over Ontario working on stations and bulk plants.

its a double edged sword, people complain about having safegaurds, then if they weren't there and something happened people would complain about why the safegaurds were not there to stop an accident and why wasn't the place inspected

hawthorne grill (now c&c) on hwy 169 with trail running beside has same problem....tssa made it too expensive to open pumps of any sort...there is no gas around that area

I really miss having the pumps at hawthorne grill. It's still a great stop for food but the fuel stop was terrific. Right on the trail, large lot, didn't have to bump through town, through traffic and across pavement. Slide in, fill up the tank and go in to fill up with lunch. I'll bet having no gas affects their other revenue streams too. Pity it's gone.

Archived