Shivesy in Wawa with pictures (Day 4-5)

Shivesy

I just spent 45 min on a detailed write up about the last 2 days and hit the sumit button and lost it all. We are in Wawa and heading to Heyden today. I'll repost again tomarrow.

Don't that just pi$$ you off! :banghead:

I just spent 45 min on a detailed write up about the last 2 days and hit the sumit button and lost it all. We are in Wawa and heading to Heyden today. I'll repost again tomarrow.

First, I hope you are enjoying your trip. Second, if it takes to long to write up a post, BTDT :oops: , the session will time out and you will be asked to log back in and your post is toast! When I write a long message I now get in the habit of coping it before I hit submit, that way I still have my message if I'm asked to re-log in.

We left Kapuskasing (Kap) later than expected on Wed. morning after breakfast and a stop at the gas station. It was -15F and we were trying to make it approx. 200 miles to Hornepayne. Around 8 miles from town my son pulled off the trail because he smelled gas. After walking up to his sled he told me his gas cap was missing and did I put it back on. :rotflmao: Yea right! I asked my wife and him to stay on the trail while I run back and look for it. 8 miles to town and no site of the cap on the trail. I went to the filling station and no cap. I took off to the Yamaha dealer and bought 1 for $24 and headed back to to the family and installed it. On the way back to the family I found the lost cap. :banghead: I installed the cap and away we went.

We stopped at one of the local club houses to get warm and had a nice visit with a group of 4 from Ohio & Michigan. We left the club house and headed down the trail towards Hearst and again my son pulled over. He told me that the sled started to smoke really bad. Upon inspection I noticed that the sled was leaking antifreeze. I took off the side cover and the belt was shredded. The shredded belt must have slapped the fluid hose that is located under the belt and it slit the water hose. At the same time I was inspecting the damage the folks from Ohio & Michigan pulled up to offer assistance. I had a strap and it was 55 miles into Hearst by trail and about the same back to Kap. The group of 4 new the area better than I and suggested that I tow it 4 miles to Bobs place or pub in Mattice and thats what we all did. Well come to find out there is a little Ski-Doo dealer located in Mattice and we hauled it to the front of his shop. The older gentelman at the shop let me and my son work on the sled and barrow any tools Cass and I needed for the repair. He also had a few hoses in a box that we picked from for the repair and he also had some 60/40 fluid. 2 hours later and the repair was finished. Thanks to the folks from Ohio & Michigan. A special thanks to the older gentelman at the small garage in Mattice. We arrived in Hearst at 5:30 and stayed the night in town at the Queens Motel.

433_16474442a7fa13c63f1656de8eadaace

433_e72bceca5911e5794a5dad45abf504b3

We woke up early on Thursday morn. hoping to make it to Wawa before dark. We left Hearst by 8 and cold it was. It was minus 10F that morning and the trails were smooth into Hornepayne. We ate breakfast at the Mall and filled up with gas. Alot of action with the local kids around the mall. Met Walter from the Hornepayne Snowmobile Club and he passed on some info about the trail conditions. We left Hornepayne and headed towards Dubreuilville. During our trip to Dub. we stopped off at the warm up shack that I read about here on this site a few months ago. Once in Dub we filled up the sleds and stopped in to met Luke at the Quickie Mart but he was off at the Soo. We had some hot coco and grilled cheese at the motel resturant and headed out of town to jump on the Magpie. We arrived at the Bristol motel in Wawa and stayed there Thur. night. The owner of the Bristol was very nice to take the family to the local resturant for dinner and breakfast the next morning. Nice place to stay also. We were able to log on about 225 miles Thurs. :D

433_a96f6f026294e96329bcf2b9cce2a07e

433_7336e765bc1be5b4ea565f520a976194

433_f6c9cb82fbf6fcf6445c2ded81de31e9

Great post! Love the pics! :wavey:

aww you guys came and I was not there, yeah I was gone to the Soo with Big Reg, Thats too bad, Well you found the place, stop by again next time and we have to meet.

how was the trails? the D108A is a Nice fast, Easy trail to Run.

Hey thats Cool that you got to see a magpie Mushrrom......They Don't Form Every year. it must be the same spot where is happends the Most in front of the Cabins on the lake.

You know the trails are excellent. :D We will sure stop by and check you out our next time through. I walked in the front door of your Quickie Mart and asked "Where's this Luke guy at?" The blonde haired blue eyed young lady said "he's in the Soo". I thought darn, oh well can the wife use the potty before we head out. The young lady said "No it's closed to the public." :wtf: So we headed to the motel resturant for a potty break and hot coco. I really want to thank what ever club for the warm-up shack between Hornepayne and Dub. We really enjoyed it. Thanks from the 3 of us from south Georgia.

Yeah, Sorry About the potty Rule, She was Following the Rules, It not Public but I let People Use it, But with the other Girls Working for me Kids ask them to use it and then keep her busy in Front and Steal from the back, Thats Why they are told not to let People use the back Washroom....but had said to use coment sense....but they wont take any chance and be in trouble. lol Sorry. She's cute too that Girl Eh, I get told alot lol...she Brings in the guys lol

As for the Warm-up that was us, The Dubreuilville Club, We put that there This Fall, it's Brand new, Did you guys make a Fire?

Yeah, Sorry About the potty Rule, She was Following the Rules, It not Public but I let People Use it, But with the other Girls Working for me Kids ask them to use it and then keep her busy in Front and Steal from the back, Thats Why they are told not to let People use the back Washroom....but had said to use coment sense....but they wont take any chance and be in trouble. lol Sorry. She's cute too that Girl Eh, I get told alot lol...she Brings in the guys lol

As for the Warm-up that was us, The Dubreuilville Club, We put that there This Fall, it's Brand new, Did you guys make a Fire?

Luc, tell me you didn't do away with the Snofrau's drawing of Michigan on the wall when you remodeled ?!?

Luc, tell me you didn't do away with the Snofrau's drawing of Michigan on the wall when you remodeled ?!?

still there Ron, thst's the one on the big hill when you go on the 100 miles loop.

the one Luc is talking is a new one we installed about 1 mile from the Kaby River

We stopped at the shack that has the really nice front door. It was on the left side of the trail heading south from Hornepayne to Dub. I had talked to 2 riders that were at the mall in Hornepayne and they were heading down to Dub. also. I told them about the shack and asked them to start a fire for us if they arrived there first and vise versa. Just so happened they were there before us and had a fire going at the time we arrived. I left the shack and put in a couple of logs as we were leaving and closed the vent to just a crack to keep it slow burning for other riders. I hope it didn't burn down :o Thanks again and I understand about the potty. See you guys later.

ronnie, (Shivesy) glad you guys made it up and had a great time. do you see why we love it up there now? next time take the 2.25 hours and drive to wawa, the highway drive for views is worth the trip itself. especially on a bright clear sunshiny day. canyon cliffs and rock out croppings on the right (on the way up) and lake superior on your left. beautiful! maybe one day we can organize a "ride in" for the whole OC community to wawa dub area and have a big get together, meet and greet and riding opportunity. ski

Hey Shivesy,

Glad to hear you made the rest of your trip without incident! I'm the Ohio guy (with wife) that gave you a hand at Mattice. We certainly enjoyed you and your family's company and can perhaps 'hook up' on a tour next season. We returned to Ohio on Feb 23 and had a great tour with our Michigan friends.

r1boone (formerly Paladin)

Sounds like a great trip. As an ex-Soo boy, I'd love to come up and try one of these rides one year.

Maybe next year?

We met up w/ r1boone & his fellow riders on our trip as well. Talked to them after lunch @ the Mattice clubhouse, then back @ the Companion in Hearst.

Must be nice to spend 2 weeks up there sledding.

Bob, the rest of our trip was great except for the last 20 miles north of New Liskeard. A bit rough on the A trail south of Earlton.

maybe one day we can organize a "ride in" for the whole OC community to wawa dub area and have a big get together, meet and greet and riding opportunity. ski

that would be a good get together I'm sure, Maybe we could plan way in advance, get a group rate on a load of rooms at the wawa motor inn and make it the second weekend or so in march when the weather is nice.

maybe one day we can organize a "ride in" for the whole OC community to wawa dub area and have a big get together, meet and greet and riding opportunity. ski

that would be a good get together I'm sure, Maybe we could plan way in advance, get a group rate on a load of rooms at the wawa motor inn and make it the second weekend or so in march when the weather is nice.

I'm in :wavey:

Hey Shivesy,

Glad to hear you made the rest of your trip without incident! I'm the Ohio guy (with wife) that gave you a hand at Mattice. We certainly enjoyed you and your family's company and can perhaps 'hook up' on a tour next season. We returned to Ohio on Feb 23 and had a great tour with our Michigan friends.

r1boone (formerly Paladin)

Hey Bob!! :wavey:

Want to thank you and your group for your help. Come to think about that eventful day, I really don't know what choice I would have made :wtf: . What a blessing it was that you guys pulled up behind us and suggested Mattice. Wasn't that the coolest little shop? That Bob at the resturant was nice as could be also. Bet you didn't think your picture would be plasted on the web did you? You got to admit that was a fun time and a good picture. Everything went smooth on our trip back to the Soo. Next year let me know when you guys are planning a trip cause I (We) might can make it happen. Just let me know.

Now that I'm home I'm looking forward to receiving my 308 here in the next day or so. I'll send you some pictures. Tell the folks from Michigan "Hi" for us.

Archived