Hearst to Wawa..

Turbo Doo

Sure, decent trails and modern sleds, a good days ride. (400 klicks?)

might as well stay in Dub, then you dont have to backtrack to dub from wawa, to get to the F trail to chapleau. hearst to hornepayne about 100 miles give er take a klik or three. :D hornepayne to dub 100 or 90 depending on the long or short route, (some years they take the east loop,simpson rd), and some years they take the Dree rd (shorter). then Dub to missanabi is about 35 miles. Erine, might have cabins available at missanabi. then its 90 miles to chapleau.

hearst to wawa is 250 miles, it is a great day ride as long as you keep moving, and dont have weather or sled problems. Wawa is a great sled friendly town. Ski

Thanks Ski.

Does Ernie's have gas?

You knockin' his burgers? :angry:

ernie's has petrol, and GREAT FOOD! IQ, maybe a local,(jonesy or others) or a camp owner (nathan garber, or others) can show you the "lake route" to missanabi (wawa, hawk, manitouwak, dog). if you are interested, this gives you a "different" local route from wawa to missanabi. BUT, you miss the F trail from dub to missanabi. it takes you down ofsc trails, lakes, portages, and local loop trails to missanabi. it is one of my favorite "loop routes" for a day ride. if we are up, i would be glad to show you.

as for fuel, fill up the night you get to wawa, ride to missanabi and top off, then finish at chapleau. you will have no issues with fuel on that route with those stops. Ski

Thanks alot Ski. As of right now, our big trip is from Feb 16-23, so i am thinking we are going to be in the Wawa-Dub area around the Feb 18-19. And depending on the snow conditions in the south, we might also come for a trip at the end of Jan. Keep me posted as to when your going to be around. Would love to go for a ride.

we are planning on being up there right after you in Feb. sorry we will miss you. hoping we can hook up for a meet and greet at some point. Ski

Actually - I highly recommend the lake route if conditions are favorable.

I only went that way once - and the only time I was to Ernies, but the ride up Manitowik is a ride you will remember for years to come.

I was near the back of a group that I just hooked up with that day. I went up alone and figgered I'd find some group to ride with...

Seemed like there were several small groups all hooked up together somehow that day, and we had a local riding along that took us that way. Kind'a kewl.. It was winter of '97/'98, so the lakes were better riding than the trails since there wasn't Jack for snow anyway. LOL!

I recall the mountains shooting strait up out of the (dammed up) lake on both sides in some places - thinking that I sure hope the ice is good through here as there aint no place to get off!

I guess the Magpie has spots like that too, but it is so much bigger that you don't usually think of it as moving water as you doo in the narrows up the Manitowik. (as I recall anyway) I highly recommend everyone takes that route at least once.

The only thing to watch that I recall is knowing that you have to get off the lake at the north side and go through a portage up to Dog. (ungroomed of course - and rough as a cob) And then to the north side of Dog Lake to Ernies. (Follow the tracks?)

Here is our group-of-the-day at the N side of Manitowik, ready to head into the portage.

Manitouwak1998.jpg

It will be hard to find your way from Hawk onto the Lake unless you get directions from a local. I did it from north to south first time and think it is a lot easier that way.

If you've never done it before I wouldn't recommend it if there is new snow and no beaten path.

The total trip you are taking can be done in two days if you get after it. Chap to Timmins is slowest part.

Man vs. Food.

:D

It's a GREAT burger.

We will now be up there the second week of Feb, instead of the 3rd week..

Good luck and prey there isn't another melt down coming in feb.

Archived