First road trip of the season

dweese

First road trip of the season starts Tuesday. Jumping on the bike and heading for Deal's Gap NC. Been looking forward to this one since the snow melted. And since I didn't have any snow this year it's been a long wait :s

Pictures and videos to fallow.....

have fun, be safe! lynne and i were down there at easter, and we are headed back down memorial day week too. cant wait... sunday we are going to the track for a track day school. we get to drag our knees on the asphalt for mothers day. :) ski

post-19738-0-09484100-1336786580_thumb.j

You missed friday the thirteenth in Dover?

You missed friday the thirteenth in Dover?

Yes on purpose, that place is a zoo LOL

Have a great trip.

I've enjoyed your motorcycle posts/pictures over the years.

Have a great trip.

I've enjoyed your motorcycle posts/pictures over the years.

Here's a tease for now

Took 2 hours to get it that clean, got stuck in the rain coming home from work one day last week.

95aabfd1.jpg

awesome,have fun and be safe!!!! TOTD!!!

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

So all went well last week, clocked about 4800km in 53hours of riding. Had to replace my tires well I was at Deal's Gap as Belleville Sport and Lawn had mounted them backwards on the rims last year. So a tire that normally runs me 15000+km was cooked after 8000kms. $100 to R&R tires you think they would take the time to check the directional arrows. Was going to stop in with my workorder from last year but figured its just easier to tell everyone I know to deal somewhere else.

Weather was outstanding other than a quick rain shower on the way down that lasted less than an hour.

I've got about 20hours of video to look at so it will be a week or so before I post anything up. But here are a few pictures for now.

Blue Ridge Parkway

5bfbe773.jpg

Edge to Edge, no chicken strips here.

a39e947e.jpg

One of many waterfalls

1f06e132.jpg

With a road you do you can drive behind the falls.

6aa0eb0d.jpg

Just a little off the left. Left foot peg that is, right one looks just good.

628e1466.jpg

68 Honda VFRs of all 7 generations

32bddcc1.jpg

Looks good Dave. We were a bit east of you last week. Down to Charlotte via I-81 & Martinsville VA. On our way home I took the back roads from Charlotte to North Wilkesboro & Galax. On a short stretch of the Parkway south of the VA/NC state line.

that waterfall is called bridal veil falls. it is just south of franklin nc, north of highlands. one of the many cool stops along the "gap area" to ride to. we will be leaving saturday or sunday to go back down with a group of couples. the wife and i are heading down early to get some "spirited" riding in before the others arrive.

dw, you need to get some knee pucks :D, and lean off the bike so you are not dragging hard parts. if you were to hook that peg in a crack, or tar snake, it might not end so well for the bike, or you. also, pegs can lever your rear tire right up off the ground. body position is everything on a sportbike, especially in a high curve area. dragging knees is alot funner (and cheaper) than draggin parts. LOL!

glad you had a great time, sorry bout the rain, and needing to clean the bike again. we are a slave to our toys arent we?

also on a side note.... tires can be run backward, it really doesnt effect tire wear. we do this all the time with tires we run on the track and wear out one side from going around the track the same way over and over. the reason they are directional is due to the siping (tread) on the tires. the tread is directional, to take away water from the contact patch, to give the tire more wet weather grip.

more than likely what happened was your "new tires" could have been older than you thought when you purchased them. then couple that with a few aggresive riding trips to the gap area, = wore them right out, faster than you thought they should. i went through a set of tires in 3 days, down there last year at labor day. i went from a great looking newer tire, to cords showing in that short time period. we figured the older dated tires even though new, started to degradate "early" in their life cycle due to the roughness of the roads, heat (it's alot warmer down their than up here), and aggressive riding. your results may vary.

ski

awesome pics!!!!!safe trip is always a good trip!

dw, you need to get some knee pucks :D, and lean off the bike so you are not dragging hard parts. if you were to hook that peg in a crack, or tar snake, it might not end so well for the bike, or you. also, pegs can lever your rear tire right up off the ground. body position is everything on a sportbike, especially in a high curve area. dragging knees is alot funner (and cheaper) than draggin parts. LOL!

glad you had a great time, sorry bout the rain, and needing to clean the bike again. we are a slave to our toys arent we?

also on a side note.... tires can be run backward, it really doesnt effect tire wear. we do this all the time with tires we run on the track and wear out one side from going around the track the same way over and over. the reason they are directional is due to the siping (tread) on the tires. the tread is directional, to take away water from the contact patch, to give the tire more wet weather grip.

more than likely what happened was your "new tires" could have been older than you thought when you purchased them. then couple that with a few aggresive riding trips to the gap area, = wore them right out, faster than you thought they should. i went through a set of tires in 3 days, down there last year at labor day. i went from a great looking newer tire, to cords showing in that short time period. we figured the older dated tires even though new, started to degradate "early" in their life cycle due to the roughness of the roads, heat (it's alot warmer down their than up here), and aggressive riding. your results may vary.

ski

I'm too damn tall to get my knee down :icon_cankick: I'm hanging off the bike like a spider monkey as it is now, but actually what I need to do is put the factory pegs back on. These are a lowered peg to help with longer rides but I forgot to take my factory pegs with me this year to swap out once I got there :geek2:

The tires where only a few months old when I put them on last August, date code was March 2011, so it wasn't an age issue. And pre-load on my suspension was bang on when they checked it after tire change. Take a look at the cup in the front tire, it was like that in about 8 spots, guy that did the tires said he has seen that type of wear before, the tire is running against the tread design. Over half the guys I ride with down there run the same tires and they have never seen wear like this as well. It could very well be just a defect in a batch of tires, but until I see it on a tire that was installed correctly, I'm blaming it on installation error.

f60658f2.jpg

Word of warning....

Stay off Hwy 60 in Georgia, I got stopped by a local cop on Saturday, he asked me how long I was in the area. I said was leaving in the morning. He went to his car ran my info and came back a few minutes and told me I was doing 63mph in a 45 zone but only ticketed me for 59, I asked him how much was the fine, he said call this number in 5 days once the ticket works its way in to their system and they would tell me, but it should be less than $150.... Telling the guys back at the hotel about it, and the local ones told me I got scammed, with what they call a tourist tax, and when I call about the ticket everything will become clear.

So I called the number on the ticket yesterday, since its been 5 days now. Asked the lady on the phone if she knew where the closest speed limit sign was from where I was stopped. She told me, they don't post speed limits as people steal the signs for their scrap value. She told me they have adopted a county wide limit of 45 unless posted otherwise. I asked if there was signage in the area to warn divers of this rule, she told me no, they publish it in the local paper once a month as a reminder. I asked her how that was fair to people from out of the area that may just be passing thought, her answer was stupidity is not a defense, but I was welcome to show up for court on July 3rd where I can discuss the county speeding law with a judge who will in most cases reset the ticket back to the 63mph not the 59 the cop lowered it too. Or I can pay them $128 and the ticket will get shredded and not processed at the state level effecting my DL or insurance rating.

So that's the tourist tax, $128 ticket that means nothing as long as I pay it before July 3rd. I also downloaded my GPS track data and it doesn't show a speed above 58mph in the last 20miles of track data. So i'd have to say the cop lied about my speed, even the area he got me on radar was a few miles of straight road so the GPS had lots of time to get its data down clean as they do get messed up and confused in areas with lots of corners. It all makes sense now, that I have called about the ticket, and why the cop that stopped me asked me, who I was with and how long I was in the area. He wanted to make sure its less headache to me to pay $128 than it is to come back to the area and try to fight it or file a complaint.

I called the Georgia attorney general's office after I got off the phone with the lady from the county about the ticket, to see about filing a complaint with them about the local police force and the county's speeding laws. They told me, it sounds like I have a valid issue, however I need to file in person 10 days after a local judge has ruled the ticket stands, because until the judge rules on the ticket its not a legal charge so I really don't have anything to file a complaint on as of yet.

So I called the county back and was told I can pay my fine via their website, which I have done.... :angry-smiley-005:

welcome to the corrupt south. sorry bout your problem there. the last trip at easter, i got pulled over on the dragon for 45 in a 30, a half mile from the 40mph speed limit raise sign. they wrote a warning, no funds, no points. in reality, you are lucky, i have heard most times they require you to pay on the spot. that is true corruption at it's finest. ski

In '07 when I drove the Dragon in my K2500HD, (on 2 wheels, opposite corners in the curves) there were 2 LEOs standing beside their cruisers @ the north end.

Dave, was this the cop that stopped you?

On a more serious note, my only official contact w/ cops in the US was a conversation w/ a Oneida County sheriff's deputy in Rhinelander, WI. Kind of scary when you're putting money in a parking meter & a cop asks you if you're so & so. Apparently someone was offering to sell stolen property to folks @ the motel I was staying @. The deputy had followed me from the motel to downtown. I guess he saw my vehicle @ the motel & asked @ the front desk.

Actually it was a little tense for a few monuments. As there is a guy in my area with the same name as me with a birthday that is same year same day of the month just I'm September and he is December. Who has done time for saying he was me at the bank and getting $1500 out of my account about 20 years ago. We had the same doctor growing up so it was a joke every time I went to the doctor if they had the correct David Weese, I'm sure that's how he found out about me. Because this was way before the Internet.

Problem is now he is wanted by Revenue Canada for $250,000 in unpaid corp taxes from scam companies he setup, and has a standing warrant for him. I found this out 2 years ago when I went to buy my new house and was met by city police at the sellers lawyers office the day I picked up the keys. Try and explain that to your new wife. After and hour everything was good to go. But every 6 months I have to go see the RCMP and get a letter from that states who I am and who I'm not, because this guy is still on the run.

The boarder guys have never asked me about it so it's not a cross board warrant. However was this small town cop in the south going to take my letter from the RCMP or was my ass going to end up in jail well he figures out who I am.

Dave, that sucks to have that following you around. Yeah that's all you need is that to pop up on the computer if they're checking ID.

Found some more pictures well I was cleaning up camera cards

Two of the guys I rode down with, and mine on the end...

100_5621.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway somewhere...

100_5624.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway somewhere...

100_5617.jpg

Mabry Mill, on the BRP

100_5614.jpg

Video is finally done, first try using AVS much nicer working program than Sony Vegas

awesome video!!!! If I remember correctly the posted speed there is 30mph???

Nope 45mph in the area the video footage came from ;)

You can see hesitation at 29 MPH :D

Great combo of music and video.

Nope 45mph in the area the video footage came from ;)

so you really have no where to complain about the little ticket you got,,,better there then on the tight twisties,,,lol

that photo of the water wheel is amazing,btw

Archived