First road trip of the season

dweese

nice vid! we just returned from there friday night. i see by the vid what appears to be the blue ridge parkway, cherohala skyway, i think 28 south of franklin, and 28 between fontana and the deals gap store, plus a small section of the dragon. am i correct????

all are must sees on the riding down there.

i picked up a new to me low mile 2004 zx10r, while down there. i shagged the tires beyond the wear limits in 3 days. we basicly kept within 3-12mph of the speed limit all the time. we are heading back labor day week. that will make 3 trips down this year. no better place in north america to feel the freedom of sport riding/touring.

you gotta remember your riding pegs next time. if you were ever to hook a crack, or hole, and you wont have a peg or a shifter/brake lever for anymore riding, or worse :(

i would highly recomend a good set of sport touring, sport riding boots as well. they will protect your ankles, toes and feet from severe injury in a crash.

all the gear, all the time. here's a pic 300 miles into a 350 mile day. we were on the foot hills parkway between the dragon and townsend. was our last ride of the week. glad the wife talked me into the extra miles our group did not want to ride. we had a great last 150 miles together as a couple. ski

post-19738-0-64615100-1338810742_thumb.j

Still wearing the "Power Ranger" leathers eh? LOL

People always wonder why I enjoy heading down to WV & NC. Always tell them you can't beat the scenery.

nice vid! we just returned from there friday night. i see by the vid what appears to be the blue ridge parkway, cherohala skyway, i think 28 south of franklin, and 28 between fontana and the deals gap store, plus a small section of the dragon. am i correct????

Bang on for all of them, but one. None is actually from the Dragon, 4 days down there and i only rode the Dragon once. Far more fun and less traffic on some of tw other roads .

The foot peg dragging is from Warman Rd off 28 just after it crosses in to Georgia.

yes sir, rev.... always wearin the power rangers suits. the one in those pics, i picked up this winter. it is fully perforated, and very comforatble even when sweltering hot outside. monday and tuesday it was 93+ down there, record setting day time temps. when we were not moving i would sweat a bit but, once i was moving, with a wicking layer underneath i was VERY comforatble.

DW, correction..... warwoman rd. LOL!

i cant wait to go back there in september.

Ski

DW, correction..... warwoman rd. LOL!

i cant wait to go back there in september.

Ski

Warman, Warwoman almost the same thing LOL.

Ya trying to get my brother to come with with me in the fall as well once everyone goes back to school and gets off the roads.

labor day week is a great time down there. the kids are in school, after monday all the tourists clear out. the rv's and leaf color watchers havent started showing up yet. and the women's sportbike rally is at the end of the week. lots of nice sportbike friendly ladies down there. weather is usually great, and the roads dont get much better.

hopefully by then my new akrapovic pipe will be in, for the new to me zx10r. she is a BIG CHANGE from my carbed 03 zx7r, and about 100 pounds lighter with 50+ more HP to :D. ski

lots of fun there for sure,,,

http://static.photob...ragon/totd2.mp4

PIC05250.jpg

PIC05248.jpg

PIC05246.jpg

Great pictures and good story Dave. That really sucks about the ticket scam. It's almost as if the whole system is out to screw people over from every angle.

You have an awesome bike too. I have always like the VFR. A good bud of mine had an 89?? or maybe later that was a bright red with white rims. Very sharp looking bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, here's the new to me 2004 zx10r all decked out after i bought it bone stock with 2000 original miles a few weeks ago.

what i have done so far....

pro grip tank pad

techspec tank grips

powder coated bar ends to match the orange body work

powder coated wheels to match the orange

new michelin pilot power 2ct's (55 series rear)

no cut frame sliders

blacked out windcreen

gpr damper (orange)

factory oem orange seat cowl

custom zx10r lower decals (matches the ones on the rear only larger)

foot controls/brackets powder coated matte black

08 zx6r black/silver foot pegs

euro front signals (clear)

integrated clear rear tail/turn signal lamp

rear fender eliminator

Puig black exhaust hangar

waiting for the akrapovic carbon hex slip on, to arrive tuesday to finish her off.

next will be 520 conversion, kleen air block offs, air filter, pc3, custom tune.

headin back to the dragon area labor day week. cant wait!!!! ski

post-19738-0-06877900-1340501032_thumb.j

post-19738-0-33415900-1340501041_thumb.j

All that orange, it looks like a KTM ;-)

loves me some orange. LOL! :D ski

Very cool look, just watch for the LEOs, that screams give me a ticket.

All that orange, it looks like a KTM ;-)

Ya but it runs better than a KTM, and you can fill the fuel tank passed 85% too.

it also screams, LOOK AT ME, I AM A MOTORCYCLE DONT KILL ME. lol!

We try to stay very close to the speed limit in the straight sections, and of course town. no sense drawing unwanted attention to a bike that is already a police magnet. when i pull my lid off and the see all the grey hair, they usually just feel sorry for me going through the mid life crisis, and let me go. LOL! Ski

• 4 months later...

Dave, here is a video from Barber Motorsports complex in Birmingham Alabama. cam is on my bike, three of the 4 bikes that pass me are 1000cc bikes. i was on a 600. i get two of them back. the other two checeked out on me in traffic. just got back on monday. the track and facilities are AMAZING. probably THE BEST MOTORCYCLE MUSEUM IN THE WORLD ONSITE. Ski

Looks like a hell of a goodtime :)

Work has been crazy stupid busy last 2 months so my bike has hardly moved :(

looks like a fun time

Friggin AWSOME! What RMP is happening on the down shift?

topped out at about 15,500 rpms. she's a screamer. LOL! front straight is about 150 mph. :D Ski

Thats awesome! Makes me want a bike! But I know it would be my early grave.

• 2 months later...

Dave, did you see where 200 feet of 441 between gatlinburg and cherokee washed out? right at the top of newfound gap. right in the heart of the smoky mountain nat'l forest. hopefully they get it fixed by tourist season. the Gburg side of the mountain was getting rough, and needed resurfacing. always love going to Peter's Pancakes in Cherokee for breakfast. AWESOME PLACE TO EAT. Ski

Ya I saw that..

Part of the Cherohala washed out as well.

wow! bummer bout the cherohala... i hope they can fix it for riding season. might be a good idea to wait to go later in the year, for the first trip down. Ski

Archived