Electric sled coming

BRAAAAAAPP!

Well Braaaap charge battery Braaap charge battery Braaaaap again. 

Pretty neat though I guess. The 100 km distance on one charge would have to get extended eventually,  but it certainly seems like they are on the right track. I imagine those batteries wouldn't be cheap to replace much like the ones in electric cars. 

B bikes such as the polaris empulse have low range and ride time is pretty much limited to a couple of hours. Below freezing temps effect range on batteries and sleds drain twice the power of a bike due to rolling resistance of the track. To get the technology into a sled that would give you 6 hours of ride time it will be a 30k sled and even then it will be a non starter because range anxiety on a remote trail is not something that people will want.

58 minutes ago, zoso said:

B bikes such as the polaris empulse have low range and ride time is pretty much limited to a couple of hours. Below freezing temps effect range on batteries and sleds drain twice the power of a bike due to rolling resistance of the track. To get the technology into a sled that would give you 6 hours of ride time it will be a 30k sled and even then it will be a non starter because range anxiety on a remote trail is not something that people will want.

You never know. Technology is evolving at an unprecedented rate never before seen in history. A vast amount of what is available currently was pure sci-fi not that many years ago. The trails would be a lot more quiet and acceptable in closer proximity of residences. Lots of people are riding relatively short day from home or cottage.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You never know. Technology is evolving at an unprecedented rate never before seen in history. A vast amount of what is available currently was pure sci-fi not that many years ago. The trails would be a lot more quiet and acceptable in closer proximity of residences. Lots of people are riding relatively short day from home or cottage.

I think the folks that would be able to use this will not spend the money on it. This sled in OP is not in production yet, and judging by the investment to develop these technologies I doubt this will come to market at all, or perhaps a few and then a bankruptcy. Unless a big player steps in and invests. If the current manus are not interested in doing this, I doubt we will see any on the trails for many years.  howeverif one of the current manus partnered with tesla they might be able to bring to market a viable machine with a price point that could sell, as well as range and reliability that would actually make it an option. Sledders are slow to come to four strokes over two strokes, and I really doubt many would be interested in an e sled. i agree with you in that technology is moving fast, and it is in the electric vehicle segment, so maybe in twenty years we will see many options that will sell. Right now it is a tough egg to crack.

They need to take their technology and sell to one of the major OEM’s.  I could see BRP latching onto this.  Biggest issues are range and getting the charging network setup at the trail side establishments.  A 20 min fast charge is acceptable.  Especially if it occurs at the restaurant I’m having lunch at.  Get the range up to 250 km and I can see this working.  Obviously some challenges to get there.  

There is market for e sleds   snowmobiles are all but banned in a lot of europe Austria and a lot of norway     Open the rail trail  and logging roads through algonquin for e sled rentals and they will come      A 900 ace touring skidoo with  quiet track on eco mode is probably as quiet as an electric but don't tell that to greenies       Skidoo deserves credit for having so many Yellowstone approved sleds     Yamaha and cat i believe have  only one  model that  pass  Polaris none since frontier  .good sleds just too noisy for the park systems    Hopefully the  hybrid electric cross country ski conversion kit i ordered arrives while there is still snow in the park to test it.

That cool. Innovation is awesome. Government or regulatory bodies deciding what we can or cannot buy are awful. Acceleration is electrics strength. Sustained high power output is their achilles, so far at least.

E85, a hydrogen type deal, turbine, other options not yet thought up, plenty to develop. Regarding electric; Solar and some kind of capicitor makes the most sense and thats far away yet. Electric/battery is so far very limited, but it is only the beginning. For extreme weather such as snowmobiles and the safety factor of internal combustion engines, its going to take a lot of electric tech advancement to displace gas.

Archived