2016 New Sled Thread

500ssman

The wrap costs approx $450 installed - it depends on what you have done. If you want the tunnel done as well it costs a bit more. It is a special vinyl wrap that can easily be removed for resale and go back to the stock decals for the sled no problem without harm to the finish underneath. I would have them professionally remove it though. I also liked the all black theme, it was a tough decision to do it - but I have always wanted to wrap a sled and this year because it was all black was an easier decision than with my 2013 gade that had a lot of yellow on it. I wanted to incorporate pink into it because I ride with the Kelly Shires Snow Run - but also wanted some yellow there too...I think they did a great job combining the colours I was going for. Below is a head on pic of what the front looks like

Just saw this now, Giddy...the wrap on your new sled looks great!  Much better than most of the overly-busy wraps out there...and the pink accents are perfect for you, given your long-time support for the Kelly Shires Snow Run.  Congrats!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this now, Giddy...the wrap on your new sled looks great!  Much better than most of the overly-busy wraps out there...and the pink accents are perfect for you, given your long-time support for the Kelly Shires Snow Run.  Congrats!

Thanks Bob! Can't miss me if I pass you...LOL. Hope to see you soon for a ride!

Managed a few pictures... tough to get inside the trailer... bring on the snow.attachicon.gif005.JPGattachicon.gif006.JPGattachicon.gif007.JPGattachicon.gif008.JPG

Hey what kind of trailer is that 02sled? I'm thinking about either a triton or Excalibur hybrid with the rear ramp & side man door for next season.

was gonna get a new sled this year but with this poor snow year gonna wait to see the spring roll out from yamaha or a friend just called to inform me of the turbo rr demo unit at some great savings in march

Brought our new rides home the other day.  And today I finally got a chance to take some pics, because it wasn't either raining or snowing heavily...so I thought I'd share a few of those pics.

Looking forward to the new season!

First, my Renegade Enduro 1200:

attachicon.gifIMG_2650 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gif

IMG_2651 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2652 (Medium).JPG

Second, Mrs. irREVerent's MXZ Blizzard 900 ACE:

attachicon.gifIMG_2656 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2657 (Medium).JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2658 (Medium).JPG

Very nice sleds! Especially that all black enduro 1200 which I almost bought but I've got blue blood for life. Very nice!

Here's my new cat! Its all about heart though...I think I posted pictures in another thread, but just saw this thread now. I put on 60kms Friday night with my mx style fxr helmet & goggles...wasn't even really that cold out I don't think...can't really remember what the actual temperature was...but man I don't ever remember being that cold with that helmet on....I think I'll be switching to my gmax flip up with heated shield from now on. I'll try that first and if that don't work, I'll be getting a tall windy Forsure. Maybe I am getting older!

post-23488-0-07363400-1454244568_thumb.jpegpost-23488-0-35161300-1454244586_thumb.jpeg

Hey what kind of trailer is that 02sled? I'm thinking about either a triton or Excalibur hybrid with the rear ramp & side man door for next season.

It's a Blizzard made in Boone New York. At the time I found it to be the best value for my money. Not sure how the exchange rate has impacted trailer prices lately. I looked very closely at all the trailers at the sled show when I bought it. I was the guy getting looks from people when I crawled under the trailer to look at the welds, the wiring, the routing of the wires and so much more. Triton is a top quality trailer but when I compared price I couldn't justify the premium in the cost. One of the things I like about it is the locking mechanism for the rear ramp. It has a single lever in the middle which pivots a rod contained inside the ramp with hooks on the ends which engage on the walls. They will put the man door on either side. The floor is marine grade plywood unlike the particle board some use. The same plywood protects the side walls up about 1.5 ft and the nose so the skis can't damage the front. The front clamp down system is like you have on the Triton with an aluminum C channel. Pop the bolt in the channel and start turning the handle to screw it down.

If you're getting a ramp trailer, get a broom to keep the gap clear. For the track mats I got stall mats from TSC store and cut them into 16 in. wide strips. I used a circular saw. It was the most cost effective option and they are also much thicker than the trailer mats you typically find.

Here's my new cat! Its all about heart though...I think I posted pictures in another thread, but just saw this thread now. I put on 60kms Friday night with my mx style fxr helmet & goggles...wasn't even really that cold out I don't think...can't really remember what the actual temperature was...but man I don't ever remember being that cold with that helmet on....I think I'll be switching to my gmax flip up with heated shield from now on. I'll try that first and if that don't work, I'll be getting a tall windy Forsure. Maybe I am getting older!

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Glad you got out for a ride. I have 75 miles on my new Cat and that is it. My wife's sled is still at 0. Your Yamaha looks a lot like my new Cat. The original windshield would do little to keep me warm. I opted to swap out the useless mini windshield with the OEM accessory mid height and am quite happy with it. I added the Cat mirrors and they tend to line up height wise with the handlebars which also helps in wind deflection from the hands.

Maybe you are getting older which often equates to wiser. Keeping warm is more important than looking "cool" to other people.

Ya I definitely don't care to look cool anymore. Lol. All about comfort now. Heck I even had a tall windshield on my srx...looked like crap, but man was it ever nice...who puts a tall windshield on a srx anyways? Hahaha!

The trailer I've been looking at is the Excalibur 12' hybrid. It's $5300+tax. And it's ready to go. Just waiting on a price for the triton...I don't think the triton comes with glides, track mats etc.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1110639204

Ya I definitely don't care to look cool anymore. Lol. All about comfort now. Heck I even had a tall windshield on my srx...looked like crap, but man was it ever nice...who puts a tall windshield on a srx anyways? Hahaha!

The trailer I've been looking at is the Excalibur 12' hybrid. It's $5300+tax. And it's ready to go. Just waiting on a price for the triton...I don't think the triton comes with glides, track mats etc.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1110639204

All trailers have their pros and cons. Looking at the picture there are a couple of things / questions that come to mind. Almost every trailer I looked at had the venting on the side walls near the top and front. The vents on this one appear to be near the bottom and the rear. The floor appears to be particle board and there are a few ribs for track traction widely spaced. Are your tracks studded? If so they will likely chew up the particle board. From the research I have done particle board has a water proof coating but if you chew into it with studs the unprotected core is now exposed. That is one of the reasons I preferred the marine grade plywood. I also gave it a coat of Thompsons Water Seal just to make sure it lasts.

I have found that if you come up to the ramp slowly to line up the skis with the guides you need to keep some momentum going to make it up the ramp and not end up spinning the track which would really chew up the wood. That is why I put down the thick over 1/2 inch stall mat rubber. The Blizzard and the Triton have a C channel that runs from the front of the trailer to the rear for each of the sleds for the ski clamp down. That allows you to position the clamp down wherever you want it. It appears in this trailer the clamp downs are in a fixed position. I like to put one sled slightly ahead of the other. When they are positioned exactly side by side it makes for a tight fit between the two windshields. Especially for a guy like me who finds that his sled suit tends to shrink over the summer then stretch over the winter.

I have seen a number of people that ride their sleds up the ramp and into the trailer then try to lift the skis to the outside walls since the door frame is not as wide as the inside of the trailer. One of the tricks is leverage. Ride up the ramp until about half the sled is in the trailer and part is now hanging out above the ramp. The pivot point of balance is now inside the trailer so it makes it real easy to lift the front end up and over. You can do the same when backing out to ensure the skis don't catch on the rear trailer frame or the recoil cable as you back down.

That C channel for the ski clamp downs is probably the best solution going. With the traditional screw down the thread just goes right through the floor and penetrates below where it rusts up and requires a whole lot more turns to crank down the ski clamp downs. With the C channel a T bolt head drops into the channel and turns a bit locking into place. A few turns of the handle on the thread which is inside the trailer and you are done. Similarly a few turns the other way enough to loosen the tension and the T head comes out of the track and you're free to go.

Some of the trailers with C channel only have it at the front of the trailer. When it goes all the way to the rear you can also use the Deck Hooks that Super Clamp makes. It goes into the Channel and lets you tie down the back of the sled with a ratchet strap securing the sled that much more should you hit ice or something like that and the trailer is fish tailing behind you.

post-21351-0-90342100-1454258919.jpg

It does seem to have a slightly blunter front to it than some which will accommodate a the long sleds with a tall windshield well but with a 12' bed it likely wouldn't be a problem for the other brands as well.  

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice I like it!

Hey 02, thanks for taking the time to write all that.

I don't run studs in my sleds, so I wouldn't have to worry about chewin up the wood. I do want the C channel and never noticed that it doesn't have until now, good eye!

Thanks again for pointing everything out. I definitely gave a lot to think about before making another big purchase.

Hey 02, thanks for taking the time to write all that.

I don't run studs in my sleds, so I wouldn't have to worry about chewin up the wood. I do want the C channel and never noticed that it doesn't have until now, good eye!

Thanks again for pointing everything out. I definitely gave a lot to think about before making another big purchase.

Look out. Now that 02 has retired, he'll have time to crank up his written output.

Look out. Now that 02 has retired, he'll have time to crank up his written output.

Retired and only 75miles??? Something wrong here...

LOL. He retired a week ago, and it seems as though its rained every day since.

LOL. He retired a week ago, and it seems as though its rained every day since.

So it's all his fault then! Haha!

Retired and only 75miles??? Something wrong here...

just retired last week. This will be my first week of retirement starting tomorrow and damn it's raining. I'll take the bullet for everyone for the lousy season. Bought two new sleds and retired. Of course there isn't any snow. If I kept the old sleds and kept working it would be snowing every damn day.

just retired last week. This will be my first week of retirement starting tomorrow and damn it's raining. I'll take the bullet for everyone for the lousy season. Bought two new sleds and retired. Of course there isn't any snow. If I kept the old sleds and kept working it would be snowing every damn day.

Ahahahaha! Too funny, but so true! I'll take partial blame as well for just buying mine last week. Lol I knew it would happen...

just retired last week. This will be my first week of retirement starting tomorrow and damn it's raining.

"Go North," they said.

Belated congrats on your "second" retirement, 02...maybe this time it will stick... :-P

"Go North," they said.

x2,grab the visa and trailer and go 

"Go North," they said.

Everyone else on here is, even Blake ... better book a room or you might wind up sleeping in my 20' camper or in the tempo next to my Alpine ....

02, there were still plenty of rooms when I booked. There were none available on the Expedia etc web sites, but quite a few when I called the hotels directly.

Belated congrats on your "second" retirement, 02...maybe this time it will stick... :-P

thanks... I think this time it will stick. I was asked what would it take to get me to stay but I was traveling more than I wanted and it looked like more on the horizon. Between mid Oct and Christmas I spent 6 weeks in Montreal with the 4 of those being consecutive leading up to Christmas. They are short flights but too many nights in hotels and eating in restaurants. It was now looking like I would be spending time in Wichita and Dallas as well which are much more substantial flights.

I would be a lot happier if there was lots of snow to ride though. I would love to be traveling this week but I have so many things to close out. I am moving my company RRSP over to my own investments, transferring over the company cell phone to me, setting up medical and dental coverage and a bunch of administrivia. Hopefully next week I will be done with that and there will be more snow.

Congratulations on your retirement. Maybe you should have purchased a boat? :-P

Happy trails 02Sled.

Archived