Has anyone tried the GPS SledMaps OFSC 2012 edition?

Re:Leaf

Hi. I'm a new member and this is my first post. I just bought a Garmin zumo 550 GPS. I would like to try using the OFSC GPS trail map. Has anyone tried it?

Unless you're getting it for free, I would use the maps available here from REVED. While not complete, they are not $$$ that do not support the OFSC in any significant way (to my knowledge)

Hi Re-Leaf! Glad you are on here. I am sure you will enjoy it.

As for the OFSC Maps, I have heard from a club member who has purchased the maps again this year that, while the trails are there, the base map is highly inaccurate. He reported that there were at least 6 different Buckhorn Lakes as well as a number of other inaccuracies.

I concur with Domino as far as using Reved's maps available here. That is what I am using and I send in my recorded tracks to update the trails.

I am sure either OF7 or I can help you load those if you need help.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Hey, welcome aboard! You have no idea what you are in for :tongue: So, you purchased a Zumo 550, my speciality.

I'm rockin a Zumo as well, but ya use the free map we have here, I'm working on a update hope to have something out shortly (thanks to those who have sent me updates)

The only thing the $80 version has ours doesn't is autorouting. Which in a car is a good thing, on a sled can be a problem because it doesnt know what trails are open or closed. So your better off to sit down the night before and plan out your ride by hand.

Welcome to our madness

With regard to the OFSC not getting any financial benefit from the Red Pine GPS mapping of the Ontario OFSC Trails I would suggest the OFSC gets half of what we pay for the program.

Red Pine charges $ ??? for their USA State Snowmobile GPS Trail Mapping programs but when we order the Ontario mapping we pay double that price because I would suspect the OFSC gets the other half.

Having said that, I have the 2011 version of Red Pine's program for Ontario .

and although not perfect, it is damned good and has kept me on the right trail and saved me a great deal of time looking at the paper trail maps. It also allows you to be aware of the upcoming twists and turns etc etc.

I am not upgrading to the 2012 version because I find so far that any changes are kind of intuitivley obvious.

If the OFSC does get some financial benefit, then I believe that is good reason to purchase their mapping program.

Wow. You guys are fast. I just got home from work and found 4 responses already. Thanks for all your advice. I think I will try downloading Reved's Maps and try them out this year. Maybe the OFSC Maps will be better in the future.

Thanks for your response Snowbiz, Dweese, Ontariof7, sledjunk, Domino.

With regard to the OFSC not getting any financial benefit from the Red Pine GPS mapping of the Ontario OFSC Trails I would suggest the OFSC gets half of what we pay for the program.

Red Pine charges $ ??? for their USA State Snowmobile GPS Trail Mapping programs but when we order the Ontario mapping we pay double that price because I would suspect the OFSC gets the other half.

Having said that, I have the 2011 version of Red Pine's program for Ontario .

and although not perfect, it is damned good and has kept me on the right trail and saved me a great deal of time looking at the paper trail maps. It also allows you to be aware of the upcoming twists and turns etc etc.

I am not upgrading to the 2012 version because I find so far that any changes are kind of intuitivley obvious.

If the OFSC does get some financial benefit, then I believe that is good reason to purchase their mapping program.

I've heard OFSC gets 50% every copy sold.

I have been in Cochrane for three days now and have done over 1000 Km's. Haven't made a wrong turm yet using the Red Pine, OFSC GPS mapping. Now just watch, I will go out tomorrow and "Wicked Wanda" who lives in my Garmin will get me lost ! ! !

She sure gets P O ed if you make her keep recalculating

I've never been sledding in Cochrane, but I've heard it's a great place to ride.

ok thanks mpsrent.

The upgrade is $10 I believe. You do not pay full pop if you bought last years edition

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Of7 downloaded reved's maps on my garmin zumo 550. We went out sledding Feb 10 starting at kinmount and rode up to whitney. It was our first time using reved's maps and they work great. I haven't used the ofsc gps maps so I can't compare them.

I have been using the Red Pine system and it is decent. However, in my area there is five "Twelve MIle Lakes" labelled on the map. All next to each other and that is not accurate. However I have found the trails to be spot on for this area! I also have Backroads Maps and while they are okay, they also show a lot of ancient trails that are no longer useable. They are good for ATV mapping but highly worthless for sledding.

Archived