Another death

Bark Biter

Police search Georgian Bay for missing snowmobiler

An 18-year old man is missing following a single snowmobile collision on Georgian Bay on Monday night.

Provincial police in Parry Sound said, just before 10:30 p.m., a snowmachine carrying two passengers was travelling near the swing bridge to Wasauksing First Nation. The machine crossed thin ice in the area of Rose Point Road and hit open water under the swing bridge, where it sank.

The driver, 18-year-old Shane Tudhope of Parry Sound, was able to climb out and get to shore, where he was helped by emergency crews.

His passenger, Jordan Mehlenbacher of Seguin Township, remains missing.

The OPP Under Water Search and Recovery Unit resumed search efforts Tuesday.

The news says they found the body and sled .

why would you try to go across open water?

Not to mention, the way the weather has been this year, even if it was partially covered why take the chance.

Just plain stupidity in my eyes.

Tragic! Deepest condolences to family and friends.

it is always the passenger...well that other kid is going to have live with that for the rest of his life....I wonder if has been charged??I guess the cops are waiting to find the body

I stand corrected they said they found the sled...i wonder what they are waiting for...charge him with manslaughter or something reckless endangerment, improper use of a motor vehicle causing death

I stand corrected they said they found the sled...i wonder what they are waiting for...charge him with manslaughter or something reckless endangerment, improper use of a motor vehicle causing death

I fully agree, the charges should be hefty regardless of the fact that he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

If it makes one person think before being reckless then it is worth it.

why would you try to go across open water?

Not to mention, the way the weather has been this year, even if it was partially covered why take the chance.

Just plain stupidity in my eyes.

I agree but there are others here and on FS that will think you're a wuss for that opinion.... after all running open water or thin ice is no big deal.

Regardless ,charged or not ,gotta be a heck of a thing to live with. RIP. Condolences to the families and friends all the way around. Sad story.

yup

WOW sorry to hear this news, Bill sorry for your Crews loss RIP

A family just lost a son; friends have lost a colleague and a community has lost a volunteer.

My condolences to the family and friends.

I fully agree, the charges should be hefty regardless of the fact that he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

Must be nice to sit back and make these calls...

As has been said, sad situation...RIP

The charges likely won't make a difference as to whether or not this happens again. The results will. BB I hope that your remarks are not as mean spirited as they sound.

I knew/know both of these young men. Both I have looked in thier eyes and I know the destruction that this has done to the survivor. May Jordan rest in peace and may the other young lad someday be able to find some peace.

It is just so sad and tragic. As a firefighter I have seen a lot of things that don't make sense, and seem almost unbelievable. My condolences to friends, family, and those who knew these kids. It is awful to carry around the guilt the other lad is facing and no charge or punishment will equal that. We don't need to debate that in the face of a loss.

Well said Bill. Apparently, my daughter attended the driver training course with these boys a few years back. We are not from the area and as such she does not know these lads but she was taken back when I mentioned it to her. Very sad indeed.

For those who think my words were mean spirited, they were not. I feel for the kid that was in control of the sled, I feel for his family, just as I feel for the kid that lost his life as well as his family, not to mention everyone that knows/knew both of them.

We all in our lives have done stupid things that we have to live with, and yes that includes me, there are many, way to many to mention.

I sit back and make this call as faceman so puts it, because at the end of the day, lives have been destroyed by this when it was preventable.

If this means I am thought of as a possible wuss as put by 02sled then so be it, I just do not see why I should take foolish chances with my life and possibly leave those behind suffering due to my carelessness.

But I still stand on my feelings that it was stupid of this kid to try to run on open water, especially when they say where he was never freezes. Plus with the unpredictable winter we have had.

On that note, I will go back into hiding, read what others have to post, and when something tragic or good happens in this sport we love, I will keep my opinions to myself and watch others get battered for speaking out.

May the rest of you have a safe remaining winter without incident.

I have to respond to this.

There are very few "accidents" but this might be one...you do not know.

My comments were made as I do not know what caused the death and neither do you

It was no mean spirited, it was my opinion

And normally an opinion is based on an educated point of view.

I do not form opinions without the information required to make said statement

Interesting that you consider your opinion "battered" as that was not my intent.

Let us realize that people do make mistakes, and some pay for them for the rest of their lives.

I too must respond.

The young man who lost his life was best bud to 2 of my kids...as is the surviving driver of the sled.

We now know the exact chain of events that led to Melon's death.We know that the driver did everything he could to save his best friend,and when he couldn't ,also did everything right.

It was by chance that CBC showed their documentary on tuesday night,the evening after Melons body was found.

The show was on decoding the teenage brain...what makes it work,and how or why teenagers involve themselves in dangerous activities.

Shown were several real kids doing real stupid things.....life-threatening stunts and the like.

So....why are ,mostly male,teens driven to such decisions?

The activities release endorphins to the brain.A scary stunt,a high jump off a bridge,a sled run across water...ANY danger is what feeds the brain these chemicals....Endorphins are the 'drug' that makes us feel good.If you are a runner,you know this...that euphoric state just after you hit 'the wall'....anyone who has has sex understands it too.....Endorphins are what makes us feel good.

The release levels of these chemicals to the brain are raised if the subject is with friends...witnesses if you like.The more people around,the better the rush.The higher the hill....the wider the water....more is better.It's progressive as kids 'learn' how to get this rush.It's also part of the many primal needs of human developement.

The danger ages are from 16 to 24 years.

Jordan was sitting right in that whell-house.

And he was not a shy kid by any stretch....loved attention.

And this is where the notion of charges becomes meaningless...and in most case like this,only more damaging to those involved.

Our judicial system takes no account of fundamental cause and effect....they are only interested in the rule of law.

There are 2 charges agains Shane.Both carry severe jail time.

It is expected that the parents of the deceased will petition against the charges...and likely these charges will be drstically reduced.

But the simple fact remains...young guys make some very bad decisions.

And we do know why....and it's not their fault...it's the way their brains are designed.

Not one single charge or intervention is gonna change that.

No charge will help the family and friends of these young men...nor will it deter another kid from jumping off that bridge in Bala...or the snowboard off the roof thing...or anything alse that gives them that rush.

These are 2 good kids.... surely not angels...but not criminals either.

Tomorrow, two of my young guys will go to a funeral for a close buddy.Not the first one for either of them..3rd in fact,in as many years.All as result of teenagers making 'stupid' decisions.

Today they are going to visit the surviving driver of the sled......he is also their good bud.

My guys are typical kids for their age...trying to be tough,but really,well you know....underneath it they are just kids...kids in a tremendous amount of pain .They are good kids too...and they recognise the pain Shane is in too...they go to support him out of love...tho they would of course never admit that! First thing one of them said as I picked him from college was to take him to Shane's.

This will sort its self out in time.The entire community is hugely involved in the support of both families .

Retribution by legal forces...or anyone else... is not required.

I too must respond.

The young man who lost his life was best bud to 2 of my kids...as is the surviving driver of the sled.

We now know the exact chain of events that led to Melon's death.We know that the driver did everything he could to save his best friend,and when he couldn't ,also did everything right.

It was by chance that CBC showed their documentary on tuesday night,the evening after Melons body was found.

The show was on decoding the teenage brain...what makes it work,and how or why teenagers involve themselves in dangerous activities.

Shown were several real kids doing real stupid things.....life-threatening stunts and the like.

The activities release endorphins to the brain.A scary stunt,a high jump off a bridge,a sled run across water...ANY danger is what feeds the brain these chemicals....Endorphins are the 'drug' that makes us feel good.If you are a runner,you know this...that euphoric state just after you hit 'the wall'....anyone who has has sex understands it too.....Endorphins are what makes us feel good.

The release levels of these chemicals to the brain are raised if the subject is with friends...witnesses if you like.The more people around,the better the rush.The higher the hill....the wider the water....more is better.It's progressive as kids 'learn' how to get this rush.It's also part of the many primal needs of human developement.

And this is where the notion of charges becomes meaningless...and in most case like this,only more damaging to those involved.

Our judicial system takes no account of fundamental cause and effect....they are only interested in the rule of law.

It is expected that the parents of the deceased will petition against the charges...and likely these charges will be drstically reduced.

And we do know why....and it's not their fault...it's the way their brains are designed.

No charge will help the family and friends of these young men...nor will it deter another kid from jumping off that bridge in Bala...or the snowboard off the roof thing...or anything alse that gives them that rush.

Tomorrow, two of my young guys will go to a funeral for a close buddy.Not the first one for either of them..3rd in fact,in as many years.All as result of teenagers making 'stupid' decisions.

Today they are going to visit the surviving driver of the sled......he is also their good bud.

My guys are typical kids for their age...trying to be tough,but really,well you know....underneath it they are just kids...kids in a tremendous amount of pain .They are good kids too...and they recognise the pain Shane is in too...they go to support him out of love...tho they would of course never admit that! First thing one of them said as I picked him from college was to take him to Shane's.

This will sort its self out in time.The entire community is hugely involved in the support of both families .

Well said .

I too must respond.

well said....

Perhaps I jumped a little too soon...

It is simply frustrating, and sometimes it is easy to "lose sight" of the human element

As to the human element,and how this event has changed alot of folks lives in our area,mostly the kids,and mostly one hopes for the better>>>>

Last spring Jordan,the deceased,wore a bright orange suit to his grad formal.Talk about a stand-out!....It was a big hit.....dunno if was in reference to his hunting interest or what,but he was that kind of kid....he loved attention and everyone knew him.My kids carry pictures of him in that suit to this day

Along comes the power of social networking...last thrusday night,some one came up with a great idea,which apperenty spread on facebook ...in about a minute.

As I drove into Mactier early friday morning,I was a little confused when I saw the kids all waiting for the bus in the centre of town.

Every one of them was wearing something orange...a hunting vest,a hat...a scarf.Each and every one of them...

Below is the picture of them taken,with grades 10 and up, in the gym at PSHS that day when they were all together.

http://www.cottageco...article/1283312

If there is anything that can bring awareness,it's stuff like this.We have to be proud of these kids....they know how to look after eachother better than we give them credit for.

But the sad reality is...boys will be boys,and tragedies will continue... no matter how well we raise them,no matter how much we teach them.

It's in their nature that they push envelopes and challenge themselves.

...and sometimes make some very very bad choices.

yup i agree that is pretty cool...good on them

He was a wonderful colourful young man. All the kids loved him for how full of life that he was. He put green skis with red handles on his Yellow ski doo just to be different. He was always smiling and was a good lad

The kids are indeed taking care of each other amazing .

Well said!

Archived