What trails do we use to go from D'Ville to Timmins?

Grimmer

I know alot has changed down there and still is so I was wondering ....do we need to go to 1/2 way haven or is there an easier route?

F & C101F still open or are they closed?

Looking to do this at the end of the month....how's it looking?

You take the F trail to Missinabi (Stop at Ernies for food and gas) and then south to Chapleau (there is nothing in between Ernie's and Chapleau) then C101F to Timmins. on C101F, look at a current map to see what is open for gas, food etc. One of the places I have stopped at is now closed from what I recall.

You'll have to stay tuned on the status of both of these trails. Unfortunately they take a fair bit of snow to open and sometimes don't really open at all.

The only services on C101F are the General Store (for gas & snacks) & Maple Street B & B (lodgings) in Foleyet. The Mooseland Lodge/Resort on Hwy 101 has been closed for a while. Gas is @ the Esso truck stop @ the west end of Timmins (trail goes right by it).

Not sure about gas in Chapleau as it's been a while ('06) since we've ridden thru there.

The only services on C101F are the General Store (for gas & snacks) & Maple Street B & B (lodgings) in Foleyet. The Mooseland Lodge/Resort on Hwy 101 has been closed for a while. Gas is @ the Esso truck stop @ the west end of Timmins (trail goes right by it).

Not sure about gas in Chapleau as it's been a while ('06) since we've ridden thru there.

There is more than one gas around Chapleau, but the only one left on the trail is an ESSO which has some fast food in it like pizza and chicken.

When heading east, it will be near the last part of town just before the OPP station.

AC, I seem to remember on earlier trips that the Esso "was" across from the ball park in the past, but not sure if it was still an Esso in '06. One trip we passed another station (no name) further south past the little bridge.

Is there still gas near the Aux Trois Moulins?

Esso gas station was very close to Valentine's Bed and Breakfast, as I recall.

(Valentine's is a great place to stay, btw. Great family runs it, sleds have shelter in a shed for the night)

AC, I seem to remember on earlier trips that the Esso "was" across from the ball park in the past, but not sure if it was still an Esso in '06. One trip we passed another station (no name) further south past the little bridge.

Is there still gas near the Aux Trois Moulins?

No gas near any ball park.

There was a station on the west end of town that was also an ESSO that is now closed. That was accross the tracks and accross the river from Valentines, but slightly closer than the other ESSO still open on the east side of town just accross from the old Hydro station (the brdige you spoke of) and accross the road from the OPP. Yes, this is close to the motel.

The ESSO on Fox Lake on the reservation is cheaper (something to do with tax laws for natives), but out of the way.

All the fuel is distributed by McDougall Oil and I believe that all stations are ESSO.

Valentine Farms is my favorite spot to stay and has indoor parking and is about in the middle of the town as far as the trail goes.

The club is packing and trying to open the F trail in both directions for this year! I plan to stay at Valentine's on the 15th if all goes well.

We're booked for our trip into Valentines'. We stayed there in '03 as well. I'll get GPS waypoints of the stations if I have the time when we're there.

Chapleau calll me last night I said they have packed up to out groomer turnaround at Dalton, I ask a local in Missanabie to go check ou the trail F South and he said the trail is blocked by big poplar trees down from a wind storm and the wet snow, he said in one section there is about 6 trees, some are 20+ inches in Size...... he then went on and said there was more and had to turn around the trail was blocked.... I don't know what we are going to do...

Sounds like a bit of your trail got hit with what we got all over ours. Enjoy. We've been. :icon_cankick: .

It's agravating with the awesome snow we have that we only have time to open as fast as we can. with the bad windstorm in the fall bringing down hundreds of big trees on the trials and then the heavy snow pulling the smaller brush on top, it's the worst I've ever seen in my 35 years of snowmobiling around here.

We rode this trail last year. Mooseland was open for food but no fuel. There is a store and gas station in Foylet. The gas station in Chapleau near Au trois mouline is closed. There is an ESSO station and the Native station on the trail. We ate and got gas at Ernies in Missanabie on our way to D'Ville.

Jds, did you notice if Mooseland had accommodations? We know guys that had booked there a couple of seasons ago & before they headed north they couldn't get in contact w/ the place. They ended up changing their plans, because they didn't want to arrive to a closed business in the middle of nowhere.

Bro & were playing around w/ the Street View portion of Google Maps & found the gas station just off the trail across from the NAPA & TOP F & Syd's (Esso) further south (also across from TOP F).

Gord, it looks like the baseball diamond is between the trail & arena. I may have mistakenly thought the diamond was across from the no name gas station.

I was going to post that the gas station at the north end of town was closed, but you beat me to it.

I see the Chapleau Inn & Suites is at the south end of town. It used to be the Railroad Motor Inn. They don't have an ad on the TATA map, but do advertise on the Dist' 13 map.

We've always topped up @ Ernie's when heading south. 111 miles/179 klicks between the gas stations in D'ville to Chapleau.

Not possible now, no dub connection anymore. Yikes.

Thanks guys.....so how's it looking for the C101F & "F" trail ? Not good it seems?

Trying to do a loop around from Hearst and back over to Timmins on the 27th of January.....everything is setting up except for the C101F and F....I wish I lived closer....I'd be out there with my chainsaw helping out.....sucks when we live in the banana belt.

Looking at the OFSC map guide, I note that the trail west of Chapleau is still closed (as mentioned above - C101F and F).

I was planning on heading west from Timmins soon ( to Chapleau, Wawa, D'ville, Hearst, and clockwise around).

Anybody know what the state of affairs are with local snow/grooming by the Chapleau club westbound?

Thanks guys.....so how's it looking for the C101F & "F" trail ? Not good it seems?

Trying to do a loop around from Hearst and back over to Timmins on the 27th of January.....everything is setting up except for the C101F and F....I wish I lived closer....I'd be out there with my chainsaw helping out.....sucks when we live in the banana belt.

If the trails are clear of the debris, this is a great trip. Riding the C101F is a great ride, gas up in Foleyet have some lunch at the diner, the food is good. You'll have no trouble getting to Chapleau. If you can, stay at Valentine. It is in my top 2 places to stay of all of the places I have been. We did this trip last year and thank to all of the volunteers, like the famous Groomer Guy, we had one of our best trips. Only 1100 miles, but they were awesome. Have a safe ride if you need any information about places to stay or routes to run, post it here.. These are great people and always willing to help.

The diner in Foleyet (Northern Lights?) we ate at last March was great. Just across the street from the fuel and convenience store in town. Also, the gas station we used in Chapleau was just across the street from the trail on the way to Valentine Farms, can't miss it. Valentine's is a big thumbs-up! C101F was the fourth leg of our 5-day tour last year. Exhausting but beautiful and a blast!

Looking at the OFSC map guide, I note that the trail west of Chapleau is still closed (as mentioned above - C101F and F).

I was planning on heading west from Timmins soon ( to Chapleau, Wawa, D'ville, Hearst, and clockwise around).

Anybody know what the state of affairs are with local snow/grooming by the Chapleau club westbound?

You can check with the Arctic Watershed Club in Chapleau. Email @...........

Kathleen BOUCHARD [kathleenjohnston55@hotmail.com]

Thanks for the contact info.

You would be able to still make it as our end the trail has been packed by sleds once in Missanabie you can take to down to Dalton where the chapleau club grooms, the road is plowed but is snow packed and its rideable.

Luc, to clarify, are you saying take the road from Ernie's all the way to Dalton? I know this was the re-route a few years back... it's do able, just pray their is snow on the shoulders...I think I can still smell my sliders from that run...

Canuck - it's too bad that you can't ride the "new" F-trail that was the results of Luc & Reg's efforts.

Luc, to clarify, are you saying take the road from Ernie's all the way to Dalton? I know this was the re-route a few years back... it's do able, just pray their is snow on the shoulders...I think I can still smell my sliders from that run...

Canuck - it's too bad that you can't ride the "new" F-trail that was the results of Luc & Reg's efforts.

I can smell that too. Worse is the sand that sticks in the hyfax and grinds away your track clips!

Right now it would not be bad, but it is always a crap shoot on conditions. Yes that is the way we did it for a few years, and why I cut down on the runs to Chapleau through Missanabie. I started going through Halfway and back up to Chapleau. (Almost the same distance)

I love the new F Trail and this year there is snow and loads of work to do to open it!

Well I can say that the F trail will be open, EVEN if I said I quit, I agreed to go out and pack/groom open up the F trail to Dog lake, the stakes will be put on the lake right after, talks are going on in sending a crew in south of Missanabie and to take care of the trail (cutting the brush and fallen trees) I will then go out and go pack the trail and have it open. I will be heading out thursday night after my town council meeting (hoping it dont finish too late) We will go tandem groomers as I will be teaching a new guy to groom at the same time we will do a nice double pass and have the trail open fast, with 2 groomers one will be able to go ahead and fill in the holes and hills while the last one will push trees out and stop and cut the brush, the other groomer will be able the speed up and meet up with the other.

Finaly help is starting to arrive and things are being done.

F trail south out Missanabie to Dalton Jan 6 -7 2012

100_0398.jpg

100_0403.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0414-1.jpg

Archived