Hauling sleds

Boooya

Hey just a quick question.

How do you guys haul your sleds around?

I'm sure most of you have trailer, but anyone just load them in the back of a pickup?

Princess auto has a snowmobile ramp on sale this week for $250 down from $320. Was thinking about picking one up.

I also have a low motorcycle trailer that will easily hold the sled. But thinking just easier to park and get around without a trailer, and better on fuel.

My question is has anyone used these ramps and are there any issues will them as far as angle or to much weight on the tailgate? Or should I just use the trailer?

Just use the trailer

Trailer is the only way to go. Good luck :right_on:

Are you talking about the one that uses the wood for the ramp?

I offen load a sled in the box of the truck if I am only bringing one sled. I back into a snowbank when I can. Other then that it goes on a trailer. Make sure it has a salt shield though...

Are you talking about the one that uses the wood for the ramp?

I offen load a sled in the box of the truck if I am only bringing one sled. I back into a snowbank when I can. Other then that it goes on a trailer. Make sure it has a salt shield though...

No it's not the wood one, it's a tri-folding ramp with carbid guides and it 80" long. Trailer does not have a shield but will a snowmobile cover do the trick to keep the road crap off?

For the money I have invested in my sleds, there is no way in h@!! I am hauling them around in something un covered. Enclosed trailer all the way.

There was a company up in Collingwood that makes snowmobile ramps for pickups. It basically slides out of the pickup and tilts down. Super easy for one person. You can drive onto it, lock the brake and tilt it up and roll right into your truck. Hi mileage has one, best system I have seen. The sled would stay dryer in the bed of the truck. If you use covers make sure to put a blanket on the sled hood first, to prevent paint scoffing from the cover blowing in the wind.

there is a member here that goes by rampman....you could pm him & see if he has anything...

Is this for a Yamaha Venture? As in the two up, slightly longer then an average sled!

Is this for a Yamaha Venture? As in the two up, slightly longer then an average sled!

Yep RS, it's 10.5' long.

I brought it home in the truck and stuck out about 2 feet with the tailgate down.

I would rather put the sled in the box of my truck then on a trailer without at least a salt shield, covered trailer is idea. I don't worry about the tailgate, most of the weight on a sled in in the front and there is a lot of track in the box before the tailgate.

If you have a trailer dont waste your time. HAve tried both and trailer is better

I only get salt on my sled when its in a trailer. Back of the truck keeps the salt off. If you use this trifold ramp where to you keep it when the sled is in the truck without having it scratch your sled?

I only get salt on my sled when its in a trailer. Back of the truck keeps the salt off. If you use this trifold ramp where to you keep it when the sled is in the truck without having it scratch your sled?

I would just strap it to the side, I do this with my motorcycle.

- Rampman (Brian) has an EXCELLENT product, and is a stand up guy!!!

- You can PM him, and he`ll help you out.

- He can also be found on www.freedomsledder.com

- He was up at Sled-A-Rama in Peterborough today.

I purchased a ramp off of Brian (rampman). Works real easy.I used to have a double covered trailer, however I usually only used it to haul one sled. I find putting the sled on the back of the truck takes away the worry of the trailiering issues. (the lights, the bearings).

I use an enclosed trailer, would never go back to an open trailer even if equipped with a salt shield. A friend of mine has always loaded his sled on his pick-up with either ramps or snow bank. He can load his sled faster then I can on a trailer. He never has road salt issues either. He can also fill with gas easier then an enclosed trailer and has the advantage of the extra weight for traction. He simply loads, one strap around the bumper from one side of the bed to the other and leaves the tail gate down.

Call rampman. He sells the system I was thinking about. Real slick and will save the hastle of using the trailer.

Call rampman. He sells the system I was thinking about. Real slick and will save the hastle of using the trailer.

X2

Thanks Guys

For the plug, yesterday another great show at Peterborough, larger than ever. Joe & Bruce allways manage a great show. Took a order for a Ramp for a Yamaha Venture Touring yesterday. Boooya, have you notice the skis on this model ( like mountain skis). Total width at the front of skis 50 inches. Hard pressed to fit on a 48 inch trailer. Will custom build a ramp for this customer, but thats what we do. The Co. in Collingwood has gone out of business, not sure if they have started up again under a different name. If your venture have the standard skis (48"wide) a 9 foot ramp is the ticket & these are in stock. Go to Tech corner for pictures or pm me Thanks Brian

Went out to princess auto and picked up they sled ramp tonight. Very well built 84X54 with carbid guides and chains. It's $100 off for the next week, down to $250 from $350.

Got home and had to try it out lol.

Why I would bother with the hassles of the trailer is beyond me.

Took about 2 min to set ramp ride up and take ramp off, much faster then I was anticipating. An will keep road salt and debris of my sled and bike trailer. Plus I figured always safer on iced/snowy roads with the sled weight on the truck rather then on a trailer.

All in all a good buy.

I think you made a wise choice. If you cover the sled lightly and put a blanket underneath it, the sled will stay mint.

Archived