2012 Farmers’ Almanac Forecast

LuvMyViper

I just found this.. A nice start to the winter forecasts :)

2012-CAN-Farmers-Almanac-Winter-Map-Large-e1314390569307.jpg

For the last several months, many of you have been emailing us, leaving comments on our articles, and asking us on our Facebook page, “What’s in store for the coming winter?” Not, at long last, the wait is over! The 2012 Canadian Farmers’ Almanac is on shelves, and our much-awaited long-range forecast for the coming year is no longer a secret. Last winter, the Canadian Farmers’ Almanac suggested that after the unusually mild and dry winter of 2009–10, Old Man Winter would stage a comeback and traditional winter weather would be a “reality” once again. In our long-range outlook, we predicted colder-than-normal winter temperatures for the eastern provinces and milder-than-normal conditions for the western provinces.

And, though winter got off to a bit of a slow start, that’s eventually how things panned out. In contrast to its balmy December, some eastern provinces, including Newfoundland, averaged 2.5°C below normal.

So what’s in store for the coming winter?

(The following overview is for Canada. To read our predictions for the United States, click here).

For the winter of 2011–12, the Canadian Farmers’ Almanac is forecasting unusually cold and stormy weather. For some parts of the country that means a frigid climate; while for others, it’s lots of rain and snow.

This will be a winter of “clime and punishment.” We are forecasting the upcoming winter will be cold to very cold, from Alberta east across Saskatchewan and Manitoba into western Ontario. Meanwhile, we predict temperatures will average above normal for much of Nova Scotia and, possibly, southern New Brunswick. Near-normal temperatures are expected elsewhere. A very active storm track will bring copious precipitation through the Great Lakes into central and eastern Ontario, Quebec, and much of the Maritimes. Another active storm track over the Pacific Ocean will guide systems into southern and central British Columbia and western Alberta, giving them a wetter-than-normal winter.

To see a more detailed long-range forecast for your area, pick up a copy of the 2012 Canadian Farmers’ Almanac today!

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-canadian-winter-forecast/

Get Ready for a Wet, Wild Winter in 2012! USA

2012-US-Farmers-Almanac-Winter-Map-Large-e1314389863213.jpg

For the last several months, many of you have been emailing us, leaving comments on our articles, and asking us on our Facebook page, “What’s in store for the coming winter?” Not, at long last, the wait is over! The 2012 Farmers’ Almanac is on shelves, and our much-awaited long-range forecast for the coming year is no longer a secret. Last year, the Farmers’ Almanac predicted that the winter would exhibit a split personality, with harsh conditions for the eastern half of the U.S., and milder weather to the west. That prediction came through, as residents of the Northeast and Great Lakes regions, especially, got pounded with many heavy storms throughout the season.

So what’s in store for the coming winter?

(The following overview is for the United States. To read our predictions for Canada, click here).

For the winter of 2011–12, the Farmers’ Almanac is forecasting “clime and punishment,” a season of unusually cold and stormy weather. For some parts of the country, that means a frigid climate; while for others, it will mean lots of rain and snow.

The upcoming winter looks to be cold to very cold for the Northern Plains, parts of the Northern Rockies, and the western Great Lakes. In contrast, above-normal temperatures are expected across most of the southern and eastern U.S. Near-normal temperatures are expected in the Midwest and Far West, and in southern

Florida.

A very active storm track will bring much heavier-than-normal precipitation from the Southern Plains through Tennessee into Ohio, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast. Because of above normal temperatures, much of the precipitation will likely be rain or mixed precipitation, although, during February, some potent East Coast storms could leave heavy snow, albeit of a wet and slushy consistency.

An active Pacific Storm track will guide storm systems into the Pacific Northwest, giving it a wetter-than-normal winter.

Drier-than-normal weather will occur in the Southwest and Southeast corners of the nation.

To see a more detailed long-range forecast for your area, pick up a copy of the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac today!

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-us-winter-forecast/

news report said georgian bay hit record warm temps this summer & will take longer to freeze over resulting in lots lake effect snow....lets hope

news report said georgian bay hit record warm temps this summer & will take longer to freeze over resulting in lots lake effect snow....lets hope

That usually means warmer temps too, epsecially during the early part of the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's just hope we get some cold and some frost in the ground as well as some good solid ice before the lake effect snow comes. Not a good news story if thin ice gets blanketed with lots of snow.

it is what it is,,,,,there will be snow somewhere,,,,trust me on that,,,, :smil9: :smil9: :snow-141: :snow-141:

Fingers crossed.

Hopefully the traditional snow belts / wind patterns will return.

Would love to give RAP (Round Algonquin Park) a try this year.

There will be snow....it will then rain...then melt...then re-freeze. After that..more snow, another thaw or rain...a couple good snowfalls, then more mild and in betwen mild spells, severe cold. That is the story of the last few winters. I doubt this year will be any different. Snow..yes...inconsistent...yes. That is my bet.

There will be snow....it will then rain...then melt...then re-freeze. After that..more snow, another thaw or rain...a couple good snowfalls, then more mild and in betwen mild spells, severe cold. That is the story of the last few winters. I doubt this year will be any different. Snow..yes...inconsistent...yes. That is my bet.

Fred you just descibed a typical SWOntario winter, hopefully you are correct about the snowfalls. I think it would help if the ground would really freeze but it never seems to. Guess we'll have to take whatever mother nature provides. Have Trailer Will Travel.

I'm getting the itch... keep talking snow and get the momentum going. Last night after work got the wife's sled ready to go. New carbides, everything greased, battery checked and installed, a bit of a touch up on the polishing. All it needs now is the trail permit that will be picked up at the show. As soon as the next dry day comes along I'll do my sled.

Hopefully the forecasts are correct. Start praying to the great snow god my friends.

Archived