interactive trail guide

apeXMAN

OFSC posted via their FaceBook page back in April or May, that the iPhone app was going to get a complete rewrite and their would also be BlackBerry and Android version available at the start of the season this year as well.

jeez, so in addition to fighting my way through their web site byte by byte, I've also got to check a facebook page to get sledding news?

Am I over reacting here?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeez, so in addition to fighting my way through their web site byte by byte, I've also got to check a facebook page to get sledding news?

Am I over reacting here?

I wouldn't worry about it, most of time whoever runs the page will not answer most questions. Its more like a fan site just run by the OFSC

OFSC posted via their FaceBook page back in April or May, that the iPhone app was going to get a complete rewrite and their would also be BlackBerry and Android version available at the start of the season this year as well.

You know, it kind of fascinating to watch the OFSC transition into a software business. I imagine much of the work is outsourced, but it won't be long until it will necessitate the need for the OFSC manage their own programmers on staff as the core competency of the business moves into the digital realm. We know it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to deliver a polished app on a single platform, even on the simple end of the spectrum, so the OFSC wouldn't be jumping on these massive expenditures if they didn't see it as a sustainable business to be in.

This raises some interesting questions. The official OFSC forum spokesman has posted in the past that volunteers are not allowed to touch the software end of the organization. As software starts to dominate, will the OFSC see a move away from its volunteer roots to be managed like a for-profit business? There will still be a need for people to pound stakes, but when the bulk of the work is to paid employees, will people continue to feel the same passion for helping out?

Anyway, something we should be thinking about now before it is too late.

You know, it kind of fascinating to watch the OFSC transition into a software business. I imagine much of the work is outsourced, but it won't be long until it will necessitate the need for the OFSC manage their own programmers on staff as the core competency of the business moves into the digital realm. We know it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to deliver a polished app on a single platform, even on the simple end of the spectrum, so the OFSC wouldn't be jumping on these massive expenditures if they didn't see it as a sustainable business to be in.

This raises some interesting questions. The official OFSC forum spokesman has posted in the past that volunteers are not allowed to touch the software end of the organization. As software starts to dominate, will the OFSC see a move away from its volunteer roots to be managed like a for-profit business? There will still be a need for people to pound stakes, but when the bulk of the work is to paid employees, will people continue to feel the same passion for helping out?

Anyway, something we should be thinking about now before it is too late.

Yup its something that really need to be looked at, maybe a company will give them a discount or something. It is really to bad you can't trust volunteers with things like this. It could save so much money.

How is the trail status updated now, if not by volunteers?

(i.e. Green, yellow, red).

____

Interesting point, Skidooer. I was 'recycling' some old issues of OSM, and flipped through a few issues (Lime Green heading, back then. Damm Cat Guys :-D) The movement away from 'clubs' to a central organization was worrisome to many.

Anyhow, looking forward to this year's version of the Interactive Guide.

It is really to bad you can't trust volunteers with things like this.

Which is funny because you would be hard pressed today to find any computer system that wasn't created, at least in part, by volunteers.

There is one valid concern, and that is that there are not enough volunteers willing to get the job done in a timely manner. It is a completely fair point, but that does not explain the complete 180 degree shift to "paid employes only." There are several high profile projects, many which we all use daily, that are written by both paid and volunteer help.

I don't think there is anything wrong with paid employees driving the projects (assuming the clubs aren't running out of money as a result). What is concerning for a volunteer organization is that volunteers cannot step in and participate when they are willing.

How is the trail status updated now, if not by volunteers?

(i.e. Green, yellow, red).

Clubs report to the District Operations director or District administrator who then update the status ... Some clubs can do this themselves , but for the most part aren't computer savy enough to do so or are still on dial-up so updating can be difficult ...

I would like to see the OFSC run as a profit making enterpise.

Give it time. As the software division becomes increasingly profitable, that income and expertise will turn to automation in the rest of the organization. Autonomous trail groomers will replace the need for the volunteer hands, and therefore the individual clubs. At that point you will be left with a few people in Barrie running the entire show. For-profit will be the natural transition from that.

Be careful what you wish for though. No for-profit organization does anything of value without competition pushing their hand. It is a basic fact of commerce. Rising rent costs as landowners want in on the venture will send permit prices sky high, with absolutely no improvement to your experience.

My concern is that the OFSC is already behaving like a for-profit organization. As technology starts to mature, your vision will soon become reality to the determent of the rest of us. We need to see the OFSC turn back towards its roots so that we can still shape and direct it in the future when volunteers are unnecessary. It is not about today, it is about 5 to 10 to 20 years from now. A time when I, for one, still hope to be riding.

I would like to see the OFSC run as a profit making enterpise.

They should never make a profit, break even with any left over being sent back to the clubs. Don't save for a rainy day.

I've been a part of a not-for profit group that made money and saved it for the so called rainy day. You end up with money in the bank and being afraid to spend it on the here and now because of the so called rainy day everyone is worried is going to come and never does.

They should never make a profit, break even with any left over being sent back to the clubs. Don't save for a rainy day.

I've been a part of a not-for profit group that made money and saved it for the so called rainy day. You end up with money in the bank and being afraid to spend it on the here and now because of the so called rainy day everyone is worried is going to come and never does.

Sorry, I don't agree with that.

It is critical that any organization's management try to bridge the lean years. In this case, the lean years do not come with significantly reduced expenses and the organization would fold in the first bad winter.

Add to that the huge cost of equipment in the event of catastrophic failures and the organization MUST be able to sustain itself.

A Not For Profit organization does not mean that it cannot make a profit, but rather that its prime motivation is not to make a profit. Reasonable profits that are reinvested into sustaining the organization are, IMO, not only justified, but required. One of the principal responsibilities of the officers and directors is to ensure the continuing survival of the corporation.

Having said that, I also do not agree with the concept of the "sustain the 'rainy day fund' at the expense of all else" philosophy. There is a balancing act in play and while the reserve is necessary to be protected, you cannot jeopardize the corporation to sustain that fund.

Just my opinion.

Ya I guess that's what I met, its always good to have extra cash on hand but figure out how much is a good safety net, and when you reach it, spend the over and above on new upgrades. Don't continue to hord money away year after year, just waiting for the rainy day.

The question will be, how do you 'monetize' the Interactive Guide. It's only a matter of time before ads will appear on smart phones, based on your location (it may already be available - I still use my phone to make calls, and little else). Canadian Tire will pay 'somebody' to let the rider know that the gas bar is 100 metres to the right as you enter Bracebridge. Hopefully, some money will flow back to the clubs.

Canadian Tire will pay 'somebody' to let the rider know that the gas bar is 100 metres to the right as you enter Bracebridge. Hopefully, some money will flow back to the clubs.

That is one great avenue. The next big thing will be integration with the snowmobiler's equipment. The manufacturers will want to include the interactive guides in the dash of their snowmobiles, augmented reality maps in the helmets, etc. The OFSC is sitting on a potential goldmine.

Watch Google for direction. They are investing heavily in the automobile industry to support their Maps application income stream. Their plan seems, from an outsider's view, to have Google Maps in every car some day.

I think staging Locations marked on the interactive would be useful. As the snowfall seems to vary from county to county we find our selves trailering more often and it's always a pain finding a safe place to leave the truck and trailer. A calulator for determining distances from point A to B would also be useful. We have high speed net so no problim accessing the interactive but I can appreciate the problems one could incur with slower net access. Having stated this, I still find this forum(OC) the best for any information we need before traveling to new areas.

The question will be, how do you 'monetize' the Interactive Guide. It's only a matter of time before ads will appear on smart phones, based on your location (it may already be available - I still use my phone to make calls, and little else). Canadian Tire will pay 'somebody' to let the rider know that the gas bar is 100 metres to the right as you enter Bracebridge. Hopefully, some money will flow back to the clubs.

You make voice calls on your cell phone??? is there an app for it? :rotflmao:

You know the popup gas thing isn't that bad of an idea. My GPS on the bike does it. You tell if how far you can go on a tank of gas and 50km before you reach that value a gas pump shows up on the GPS push it and if shows you the closest 10 gas stations to your current locations.

You know the popup gas thing isn't that bad of an idea. My GPS on the bike does it. You tell if how far you can go on a tank of gas and 50km before you reach that value a gas pump shows up on the GPS push it and if shows you the closest 10 gas stations to your current locations.

Are they open though?

:phonecall:

:icon_that:

(will you accept my collect call? :-D )

Are they open though?

LOL not all, found that out 2 years ago in New York state. Looked like it hadn't been open for about 10years

Mabel will put your call through, 2 long and 1 short, after she finishes sorting the mail. Stand by and she'll ring you when she has a connection.

.....says the guy who still has a party line at his cottage :)

(and the yoots ask 'what's a party line?)

.....says the guy who still has a party line at his cottage :)

(and the yoots ask 'what's a party line?)

There she be ! If it's your ring you pick it up.

If it's a boring afternoon you pick up anytime and listen in on the township "news". There's no "app for that" these days. :-D

Black%20rotary%20dial%20phone.jpg

200 Bucks ! :-o

When I was in my teens I paid less than that for a fully operational, abeit used, car !

What was it like to negotiate with Henry Ford?

:-D

Archived