manitouwadge offtrail part deux

skidooboy

sorry for the delay in the trip report, hectic few days of work, after returning home from 3 days of riding.

the drive up was scarey at times to say the least. freezing rain, sleet and then snow made it interesting several times. i couldnt sleep much the night before we were to leave, the forcast was ugly, and i kept getting up to check our local conditions, and the radar. i finally just stayed up about 400am.

lynne and i left before the rest of the crew and really made good time as we didnt stop much other than for fuel or food. lynne and i were unpacked and relaxing by 700pm friday night at sled north vacation home rentals once again. the rest of the group arrived about 1100pm or so, we really dont know, we were sleeping LOL!

dan and carole showed up ready to ride about 930 am or so on saturday that was blue bird sunny, and not a cloud in the sky. dan had a great plan for the day so, we set out for more offtrail, bush road, and donkey trail riding. armed with even more colorful clothing for a few of the group... LOL! we pounded the deepest snow we could find. the further north we traveled, the deeper it became. we had a great mix of bush roads, two tracks, lakes, rivers, swamps and abandoned railway riding, with a few gravel pits thrown in for good measure. a few times we had to be reminded we had a short track with us, and some lesser skilled riders, and we needed to track the trail straight periodicly v.s riding for ourselves, and only cutting ribbons.

we started running out of daylight and we made the choice to start heading back before it became too dark, or too cold. we had a great day of riding, lots of stucks, laughs, a great HOT trail side lunch, from the muffpots, lots of laughs and a great meal to finish the day.

pics and more to follow.....

sunday dawned colder and if you can believe it, even sunnier. dan had to work so we were on our own. he gave us a good idea where to go, and where to find the deep untracked bounty we were in search of. we started the day in a HUGE open pit with lots of cornices, and hills to jump, climb, and side hill on. again, lots of fun, and lots of stucks for some of the group.

we went searching for an old loop we had found a few years ago, it had grown in quite a bit, but we found it, and made it through, with one large cattail swamp area claiming the majority of the group in the "i'm stuck" cry out on the helmet communicators. after sweating, swearing, digging, getting out, and getting stuck and unstuck again.... we finally got the entire group to the pit, and roadway for a late lunch.

we continued on trying to find the old unused portion of the trail from years ago, and came up empty but, we managed to find the north end of the trail after making a circle, and could track back south if we needed/wanted to. we found another HUGE pit but, this area had rec'd alot of wind, and freezing rain so, the snow was crusted for the most part making powder riding interesting unless you were in a drifted/protected area.

it started getting late and we were at our fuel window but, someone found an untracked road and the group said, why not, a few miles of more fun cant hurt right???? this is where the adventure began for us. we rode out only 4-5 miles finding some great snow, and untracked areas and reluctantly we made the call to head back toward home. saving this area for tomorrow for us.

4 out of the 7 of us carry 3 extra gallons of fuel so we figure we are good to go. we were way north of manitouwadge so decided to run the industrial rd south to make some time, and conserve fuel. for the most part the edge had more than enough fluff to help cooling and hyfax life, even for the mountain sleds we had in the group. but some hills, and curves were heavily plowed and sanded and caused some grief for those of us anal about our sleds. i finally had enough, and picked up the next cross road heading east that would get us near where we rode yesterday, and the real trail/trail and even though ungroomed, there "should be tracks, and easier to navigate. "YEAH RIGHT"!!!!!

more to follow......

upon making it to the cross road we stopped and looked at the gps and map to verify our plan of attack. we arrive at where the d109a crosses this road right at o' dark thirty. the good news was, we found the trail, the bad news was no one had been on it all year, it was dark, and we were out of options, and fuel and had to break the trail, to get to where we knew the trail had been ridden on (by us the previous trip) and that would get us home the fastest.

we all knew we had no business breaking trail in the dark but, the long way home, or the industrial road option might see more than one person not making it on fuel... and no one wanted to spend the night in the bush. so, off we went.

we did our best with navigation only missing one turn, needing to backtrack a few hundred yards. there were many large trees down on the trail, and for me leading... it was easy. the snow was deep so i would hop right over them. but, by the time the 4,5,6th and 7th sleds got to them it was alittle more than tough.

i feel real bad leaving grapeape to clean up the mess in the back with the stuck sleds but, he, and the others depended on me breaking, and tracking a decent trail for them, and they also entrust me to navigate, and find them a safe way to the trail and then home. i felt like i was letting them down, giving all of us more than we bargined for, especially at that time of the night, after a HUGE TIRING DAY ALREADY.

i started having that sick feeling this is going to be a long night, and we are all going to be out of gas and needing to camp out, sending one or two to town to bring fuel back to the rest of the group. i stopped and check my fuel tank, thank god the cats have a HUGE tank opening i can look right into. unfortunately when i looked in mine, the front pick up was not covered with gas like it should be so... in i dumped about 2 of my 3 gallons of fuel, saving some for someone else if needed in an emergency.

i let the others know i was going to go ahead again and scout for more trail signs and look out for obstacles. i didnt go very far and i found a significant log we had to cross. at that point while waiting for the group, i opted to call sled north and let them know what was going on, and thankfully the one bar on the cell was enough for dan and i to talk. both of us couldnt beleive no one had been on this portion of the trail yet this season. while talking to dan, i noticed movement, and sticks breaking in the bush..... "i gotta go dan"!!!!! call ya when we get closer to town.

i was unsure if it was a cat, fox, or a wolf. 2 of the 3 are no big deal but, i wasnt comfortable being alone. about that time, lynne and matt showed up, i pulled out my hand chainsaw, and the 3 of us cut the log in two sections, so the others could cross easier. after getting everyone accross that, we found that was our last big test for the night. a few hundred feet later we came accross older sled tracks and the going got ALOT easier. we had been on this portion the previous trip, so we "knew" there was nothing to stop us. WRONG AGAIN!!!!

about 2 miles into the "tracked trail" we came accross a large pine that had fallen since our last trip. out comes the sandvik (bush axe), i make short work of it, and we wander into town and to the house. we made it home about 10pm, all of our sleds on vapors and prayers of not running out of fuel. and we were all hoping the petro-can was still open so we could top off and finish riding the town roads to the house. not our idea of getting in at a reasonable hour but, we were home and safe.

what i was really proud of was, the way the whole group upped their riding levels in the dark, helped each other for one common goal, to get home safe, all together. this is what makes our group so special. most groups that get into a situation like this end up, fighting and bickering the whole time and there after.... and most never ride together as a group again. for us, we step up and want to help make it better for each other.

it was quite the experience AGAIN, and it gives us another great story and memory.

more.....

monday we all slept in, it was near -15f so we were in no hurry to start riding early. and after yesterday and last night we needed a break. we were split up in our thoughts of what to do for the last day. mark and i were happy to go to the beer store, play cards and watch dvds and rest and relax. our girls had bigger and better plans for us. the rest of the group would go with the flow.

after a few heated moments, and discussions we decided to trailer out to the area we were at, and ride for a few hours and trailer to the house again before dark if at all possible. truely, i did not want to ride, and i let the group know my feelings whole heartedly.

after shaking out the pains and cobwebs from the day before we trailered out about 40 miles, unloaded and started on the old trail finding some of the deepest snow we have ridden in a long time. the area we were at had some significant elevation changes, and some techincal climbing, and down hill manuvers to be made. but again, the group upped their levels and stucks were to a minimum.

we had a lynx cross in front of us, then we made a circle, and came out to the road. then our little cat buddy started playing hide and seek with us. we saw it cross the road from the ditch a few times, trying to figure out what we were doing, and what he or she was going to do after the fact. unfortunatley no pics were taken, but, we did what we could do to tread lightly, and not stress the animal.

we made a short loop, found a few smaller meadows, then headed back past the trailers to the untracked road we turned around on late yesterday. we had to ride our own tracks for a bit, but we stopped at a pit we somehow managed to pass up the day before. (not sure how that happened). we continued on, it soon turned untracked, smooth and fun again.

near the end of our ride, the road T'd, we took the wider of the two out to a beaver dam and had a late lunch/snack from the muff pots again. hot wings on the snow in the bush, hard to beat!!!

we finished the day with a quick ride back to the trucks and trailers. loaded them up, and watched an awesome sunset while trailering down the industrial rd. i was glad the group forced us to ride today. would have been a shame to end the last day sitting in the house, with another blue bird day burning away, and the snow calling us.

we made it into town before dark, packed up, and had another great meal with the group, reliving the weekend a story at at time.

all in all, we had ANOTHER GREAT TRIP. 2.5 days of riding in some of the best weather, best snow we have had in a long time. this region is known for deep snow but, they need system snow to have it get deep. they dont get the lake effect snows like some areas so, it can be hit or miss. this year was spectacular for the north of superior region.

if any of you want the offtrail; non groomed riding experience of a lifetime. contact dan and carole at sled north vacation home rentals in manitouwadge. dan will take you to get stuck, have fun, and make ALOT of memories.

finally, here are the pics, thanks for reading the adventure. hope you enjoy it!

i really want to thank the group for putting up with the excursions, short cuts, "we can do this" type of riding. i know it is hard sometimes but, you all are comming so far in your riding abilities. everyday, EVERYONE, gets better and better. i hope you will all stay with it, and not say it is too hard, we dont want to ride like this any longer. ski

http://www.mook-photo.com/webs/sumo/canada%20march%202011/

Great story..I enjoyed reading about your sled trip..that 2nd day was quite the adventure..bet the beer tasted good when you finally got in.

Another great trip report and super pics!

great pics...great story...looks like alot of fun...

Been real busy and didn't take time yet to read "part unn" (or however it's spelled.)

Sounds like a pretty big group, but that helps to make short work of the obsticals too. We drove a sled onto the truck a few yrs ago that I know had'ta been running on fumes and high hopes for at least a mile! No worries of being in the bush when your within walking distance of the truck, but it can make a LONG night!

As for your "movement in the bush":

I have a chumm that was waiting in the bush with a dead sled for a while in the dark before I got to him. He was loaded up with enough gear to camp for a few days, so not like he was in any real danger. But as I am barreling down the bush road I see lights from up yonder. Much more than just his reflectors.

I git up there and find that he lit a flare and stuffed it in the trail ahead of his sled.

??? You didn't think I'd see you or what? Think I'm gunna run ratt into you?

No - that wasn't for your benefit. It was for mine.... I was sitting here in the dark, and quiet, and ...let me tell yuh, when your alone - the bush AINT quiet! He said - I'm sure that was just snow sluffing off the trees, but you just never know eh? With the flare going he could see the boogy man should he come out of the dark, and as well - those things aint quiet, so he could no longer hear the wookie in the bush either. :icon_doh:

He is not a skittish fella. If I were in the trenches - I would want him beside me. And I am by no means making fun of him! But it can git a bit un-nerving when your alone in the bush - in the dark. (It was -30C too, but I don't think that was an issue) Unless of course your sicker'n a dog - puking your guts out. One time after eating some HotPockets off of my "Hotdogger" I was sick within a klick! I then realized my mistake. My sammiches were in my black tank bag, on a warm day - with the sun beating down on them all day! I heard noises in the bush as I'm 1/2 passed out ... and I couldn't have cared less! COME GIT ME! Just please - put me out of my misery quickly if you doo! Of course - the Wookie in the bush left me be as I wasn't scared of him. ... I mean - what's the point then?

As for breaking trail after dark:

I love breaking trail! But breaking after dark is a balance between a werk of art, and a PIA! One hand on the trigger, one hand wipeing snow from the headlight. :headbang:

Then I got a "LeadDog" light! Straps on your helmet and plugs in to your sled. OH BOY! The heartaches this thing would have saved me 15 yrs ago! Everyone in our group has them now. We will go anywhere after dark! You can see after dark better than during a flat light day for sure! Well ... all except that one pine bow that I somehow missed comming off the mtn in Col a few yrs ago.... Somehow I missed that one. It first got me in the nads, then it broke and then got me in the gut, then broke aggin, and then it took me in the chest. By this time I'm git'n back to some pretty good sized branch by now.. and it took me ratt off the back of my machine.

My chumm behind me said he didn't know what he was gunna find when he got up there. All he saw was my headlight shine strait up in the air - and then it all went dark. :oops:

Changed my undies and then continued on back to town. :rolleyes:

If you aint got one of those yet, you should check them out! Just leave the bigger pine boughs for the moose to rub on. :blush:

I would say Ski summed up the trip almost perfectly in a manner that fits all who were there. We all had a part to play when we were breaking trail in the dark, and everyone stepped up their game. Getting sleds un-stuck in the dark is as much fun as breaking trail up hills, over trees and cutting other trees in a manner that provided the entire group a easier path out. Dont think that I didnt notice all the work that was done in the front to make life easier for us in the back. I can say the sno-bunjie has never seen that kind of workout in 2.5 days of riding. My scariest moment was when I thought the sno-bunjie broke. It ended up being the metal bumper on the Nytro is not nearly as strong as it looks. I would do it all over again with a little more Advil.

Every one had a awseome trip, and tht Lynx didnt like me, as every time I would walk out to the road, it would hide.

for the most part ox, i am not skiddish either. i hunt, fish, cut my own game up ect... country boy can survive type of person. ive been on archery bear hunts, had bears climb the trees i was in, with no side arm to protect me other than the stick and string... you git the picture.

i had my strobe on, (the flashing upsets your focus when no other real light sources are on, i found out.) i was talking on the phone, and my gps was on the dash with its feeble light source, and looking at it effected your eyes ability to adjust and see what was walking around me too. i wasnt freaked out like i was going to be ett but, i was very alert to the movement and noises made around me.

the lead dog light would have helped a bunch i am sure. i carry multiple little maglights but, was too tired, and lazy to pull them out. if i would have heard growlin, or jaws poppin, i would have got out the axe, fired up the lights, and got my feet planted for an all out assault on the trail. LOL! but it never came to that point. nor did i beleive it was going to.

and beleive me... between the purple guy, the wife and myself, the amount of over night or multiple day stay stuff we carry in our packs, would make the ENTIRE group comfortable... IF we had to stay awhile in the bush, needing help sent to our location. water, food, tarps, wire, fire starters, bivy bags (good ones, not the cheap space blanket type), frs/gmrs radios, axe, hand saw, chainsaw, strobes, lights, gps, cell phone, whistle, signaling mirror, maps (good topo, and logging road style), compass ect.... everything to stay comfortable, both high and low tech stuff with back ups. havent broke down and bought a spot yet. but i figure by the time they find us, i'll have a cabin built. if they give us enough time i'll have running water and lights too. LOL!

there are another set of pics floating around, i am sure mook will post em up when he has time.

our group is a little big for off trail but, not bad. 4-5 is about perfect. we usually have 6-7 (3 couples, and the grapeape unsticker machine), sometimes we add dan and or carole, and that takes us to 8-9. which still isnt really bad because kayla and carole usually ride out back, and watch the carnage. by the time they get to where we opened the trail, it is like it has been cleared with a dozer. so the going is easier the further back you ride in the group.

disclaimer..... quote: "so the going is easier the further back you ride in the group". as long as you are not the 3rd, 4th, or 5th person, and have limited powder ride skills. LOL! sometimes, that person can feel like a pinball in a pinball machine, or a coin stuck in the dryer on high. LOL!

i am dissappointed chad, no comments on my new "jammies"????? i thought i knew ya better din dat.

ski

ski

as always you made my morning cup of coffee enjoyable reading your post and checking out your awesome pics.

thanks for taking the time to share your adventure

zrtkat

Wow. That's a helluva story Ski ! Thanks for letting us all experience it with you - albeit dryer, warmer, and more comfortable for us on this side of the monitor.

Glad you're all safe !!

Archived