Abitibi Canyon?????

ipgreen

Hey All,

Planning on a trip to Cochrane the weekend of March 5,6th. Want to run from Cochrane to Smooth Rock, up to Canyon, back to Cocrane. Any info would be appreciated. Direction of travel, fuel, trail conditions, etc.

Thanks.

We were up two yrs ago, stayed at Lillabelle Lodge ( great spot) ran the A103 from the east to the canyon.(about 154km) gas is availible up there. You can then go west and run the A103 back down to Smoothrock. The run down to Smoothrock is shorter and faster. Gas at Smoothrock and then back on the "A" I believe to Cochrane.

Conditions, not sure but there is enough sledders up there right now we should be getting reports anytime.

Purely from a gas fill-up standpoint I would suggest going clockwise. The trip from Smooth Rock to the Canyon is shorter. So, Cochrane to Smooth Rock, and fill up with gas in Smooth Rock. SRF to the canyon where you'll need gas again, and then the trip south on the east side to Cochrane. That way you're filling up at the canyon having gone a shorter distance than up the east side.

x2 on Lillabelle Lodge. Great Hosts, great food, all 'round great. I'd say it was great. In fact, if someone asked, "what do you think about staying at Lillabelle Lodge in Cochrane, the first word that would spring to my lips would be 'Great!' " :-D

Purely from a gas fill-up standpoint I would suggest going clockwise. The trip from Smooth Rock to the Canyon is shorter. So, Cochrane to Smooth Rock, and fill up with gas in Smooth Rock. SRF to the canyon where you'll need gas again, and then the trip south on the east side to Cochrane. That way you're filling up at the canyon having gone a shorter distance than up the east side.

x2 on Lillabelle Lodge. Great Hosts, great food, all 'round great. I'd say it was great. In fact, if someone asked, "what do you think about staying at Lillabelle Lodge in Cochrane, the first word that would spring to my lips would be 'Great!' " :-D

Absolutely! :right_on::right_on:

I agree with STG regarding the direction. Gas at the canyon is $2.40 cash.

The trails are great up there. Just rode there Monday. There is a section that is ploughed coming south from the canyon for about 20 Km but the trail was fine on Monday. There may be less snow on there now.

I understand that the Westway isn't too bad a place to stay either.

Just thinking about getting one more ride in this season. Not sure if this is possible or not.

I would be trailing from Fergus to Timmins (or Elliot Lake) thursday then sledding to Cochrane Friday

Saturday would be Abitibi Canyon and back to Cochrane. Sunday Sled to TImmins and trailer home.

I'd be sledding with my wife she is a more aggressive rider than a lot guys but not crazy.

Any idea on the mileage of those sections.

Is that just way too ambitious? I always prefer riding to trailering so the sooner I can drop the sled the better. From what I hear you can pin the throttle on those Northern trails so maybe we can make better time on the sleds than the truck.

Also saw some video of the Canyon. Looks great. We are flat land riders though and it will be just the two of us with 121 sleds. Are there sections of the Canyon that will give us a taste of the ride but not have us stuck in a bowl with our sleds buried?

thank for any info.

I just saw that it's only 150 km from Timmins to Cochrane so if there is snow we'd hopefully only trailer to Kirkland Lake Or New Liskeard.

Any news on how far it would be to sled from those spots to Cochrane? Is there snow?

How many clicks from Cochrane around Abitibi loop?

Thanks

I just saw that it's only 150 km from Timmins to Cochrane so if there is snow we'd hopefully only trailer to Kirkland Lake Or New Liskeard.

Any news on how far it would be to sled from those spots to Cochrane? Is there snow?

Thanks

I'm writing from Sudbury and snow conditions are minimal around Sudbury. Better off to go up highway 11 to Kirkland Lake and start there, or just go to Timmins or Cochrane as a base. KL to Cochrane by sled is about 200KM and a nice ride. Conditions are pretty good up there, even with less snow than normal. Calling for some snow this week.............hopefully.

Thanks

Just got back yesterday from that area.We left the truck in New Liskeard,rode the first day through Timmins to Cochrane,280 miles.Second day,over to Smooth Rock Falls and the canyon loop,roughly 200 miles.third day,A trail all the way to NL.240 miles.NL is very low on snow,Kirkland Lake is probably a better option.Snow gets much better there than NL.All the trails up there are flat and fast with lots of snow.No BS,the only bumps we hit north of Timmins were on the east side of the canyon loop where the trail has been plowed,its not terrible but not great.Dont worry about the high mileage,we only rode 5 or 6 hours a day.Very little traffic.Any specific questions fire away.

Just got back yesterday from that area.We left the truck in New Liskeard,rode the first day through Timmins to Cochrane,280 miles.Second day,over to Smooth Rock Falls and the canyon loop,roughly 200 miles.third day,A trail all the way to NL.240 miles.NL is very low on snow,Kirkland Lake is probably a better option.Snow gets much better there than NL.All the trails up there are flat and fast with lots of snow.No BS,the only bumps we hit north of Timmins were on the east side of the canyon loop where the trail has been plowed,its not terrible but not great.Dont worry about the high mileage,we only rode 5 or 6 hours a day.Very little traffic.Any specific questions fire away.

Great, thanks for the answers. So is the loop around the Canyon, all trails? Then you just drop into the Canyon to play?

Also Google maps shows 600km from Fergus to Kirkland Lake but it shows 8 hours. I'm thinking 100 -110kph should make it a much faster trip. Are the roads pretty rough after North Bay or are the cops all over it?

Great, thanks for the answers. So is the loop around the Canyon, all trails? Then you just drop into the Canyon to play?

Also Google maps shows 600km from Fergus to Kirkland Lake but it shows 8 hours. I'm thinking 100 -110kph should make it a much faster trip. Are the roads pretty rough after North Bay or are the cops all over it?

KL to North Bay is about 2 2 1/2 hours, I'm not sure of Fergus. North Bay to Barrie is about 2 2 1/2 hours if this helps. The OFSC trail to the canyon is all OFSC groomed trails. Smooth Rock falls up is a straight shot follows the Hydro line. Some people have nicknamed it Piston Alley because of the long straight stretches. Once you arrive at the dam site head over across the dam and get fuel warmer up. From the dam site stay on the OFSC trail maybe 1 km north you will see Hydro lines heading north thats where the Canyon starts. There are two hydro lines that head north but the first hydro line has the bigger hills. Here's a couple of photos from this year and past years

Dam site

P1020417.jpg

P1020416.jpg

First big hill

P1020384.jpg

different angle

DSC_0208Medium.jpg

P1020396.jpg

The road is actually not too bad,seemed better this year than years past.It is 2 lane,though with alot of semis.

Well from what I've read, it looks like 6-7 hours max for me to trailer to Kirkland lake which would be great.

Are the km's on http://tourbuddies.ca/ fairly accurate?

If so and adding the info I've read, It's only 200km from KL to Cochrane which considering how flat and straight the trail is won't take much time.

Where should we ride to on the way to Cochrane to round the day out more?

It also sounds like we can spend a full day doing the Loop from Cochrane into the Canyon and back Saturday.

Then on Sunday a straight run back to Kirkland lake to trailer home.

What's the fastest trail back from Cochrane to KL for Sunday and where can we get gas on the way?

BTW: Pictures look great Jigger.

B)B) I find that area completely amazing as there aint so much as an ant hill for 100's of clicks in any direction from there.

I have only been there on the train, and I wasn't expecting that view when peering out the winder. All of a sudden there was a big hole next to the R/R!

.... and then it was gone....

Didn't see enything even remotely indicating that even from the truck. Sure the big drop at the Hydro, but those hills are a different matter. B)

sweet video...headin there sat...will find those hills...looks like sum damage was done..

Well from what I've read, it looks like 6-7 hours max for me to trailer to Kirkland lake which would be great.

Are the km's on http://tourbuddies.ca/ fairly accurate?

If so and adding the info I've read, It's only 200km from KL to Cochrane which considering how flat and straight the trail is won't take much time.

Where should we ride to on the way to Cochrane to round the day out more?

It also sounds like we can spend a full day doing the Loop from Cochrane into the Canyon and back Saturday.

Then on Sunday a straight run back to Kirkland lake to trailer home.

What's the fastest trail back from Cochrane to KL for Sunday and where can we get gas on the way?

BTW: Pictures look great Jigger.

We took the A111C trail through Timmins on our way to Cochrane to make for a longer day.That trail ends at the C trail then take the A106C to Cochrane.Make sure you get a TATA map,when you come to a highway bridge in Timmins,keep going straight underneath it.The trail is kind of confusing there if youve never been there.If you dont play too long in the canyon,that loop wont take too long.We rode the L103 trail after we did the canyon.L103 is an awesome trail with very wide sweeping turns and a bridge with some awesome rapids.Does have some road riding,though.Take the A trail to A108 to KL.There are several small towns on that route to get gas.Let us know how your trip goes.Youll have a blast.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm just logging off to leave work early and head up there.

I don't think we'll be the only ones.

Lillabelle, Northway, and Best Western were all booked so it might be a little crowded.

Hope that guys at Abitibi have plenty of gasoline ready.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We had a great trip.

Stayed at the Comfort inn at Kirkland Lake. Perhaps the most expensive comfort inn around at $149.00 per night but the room was clean and I don't think there is another show in town. We were going to ride out of New Liskeard but where told the snow was thin. It was on Thursday but on our drive home Sunday the trails looked fine.

Friday Morning KL to Timmins for Lunch at the East Side Mario's Then up the C trail to Cochrane.

Trails were not really easy to figure out in KL a bunch of sleds were driving around lost. We finally went back to the skidoo dealer and got some clarificiation. Great trails just sparse markings. It was between 10 & 10:30 by the time we were on the right trail and heading North. We were in Cochrane by 4;30 180 miles in total. Driving around Timmins took an hour at least to find East Sides and Gas.

Saturday we left Cochrane to Smooth Rock and took part in their Poker run also got to check out and antique sled display.

Poker Run was to the abitibi Canyon and Back. After that we headed back to Cochrane 200 easy miles. Super flat trails. We rode into the power lines a little ways to check it out. No fresh snow but we got a decent look at it. We'll be back to do it right.

Sunday Cochrane to KL via the A trail. 9:00 until 12:30 with a gas stop at Matheson. 120miles Great trails, great signage.

I liked the A trail more than the C trail because there were more trees, corners and hills vs the C trail hydro line or hydro line to the Canyon.

People were really friendly everywhere we went. I think half the serious sledders in Ontario were in Cochrane.

First four places I called for a place were booked. We tried the Westway and were worried since it seemed like people preferred the other places. Westway was great. Very reasonable. Nice size room with a fridge. Bathroom had been updated recently with tile and a nice tub. Rooms were really clean and the owners were very nice people. Gas and Tim Hortons really close. Also an easy walk to JR's for dinner. Great food and 90% of the people in there were sledders. Great atmoshpere.

Thanks for the info on here it made the trip so much easier.

Archived