Zrtkat & Crew the week of the 21st

zrtkat

We got +4 here yesterday with some sun. Lost some snow but not to bad. It's currently +4 outside was calling for rain but so far nothing. Overnight it's supposed to drop in temps and 2-4 cm. Temps to return to normal Friday on. We went up to the Canyon earlier this year here's the video.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e7b5phKjxMc

Ok... not to hijack the thread, or dis anybody... But whose the guy on the Renegade in your video? He was not having a good day :rotflmao:

What did it (the Renegade) look like when you got home??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kat you better check out john dee's forcast. we have a "storm" comming for this weekend. he is predicting a bunch of new snow in central lower michigan. depending on when it hits, it could slow your travel plans quite a bit. just get on the road and arrive earlier and safer.

here is the link, you can look at his forcast graphics. http://johndee.com/

ski

Ski

thanks will monitor the weather for Michigan we are loaded and ready to roll out for Ontario , we can leave anytime so if we have to we will leave earlier to miss the bad weather do not wan't to hit a storm on the way up.

will keep you posted on our trip

thanks again

zrtkat

Hmmm. High of -7C sat and -11C sunday. Maybe I'll do some riding for you LOL. It's been a couple of degrees above freezing yesterday and today buy no sunshine so no big deal, unless we get a monsoon or something that's not forcasted.

ttyl

Jonesy

thanks for the report we are coming your way this weekend the temps sound great :-D

should be up sunday sometime or we might have to come up earlier Skidooboy said they are calling for a storm on the way up.

zrtkat

Jonesy

thanks for the report we are coming your way this weekend the temps sound great :-D

should be up sunday sometime or we might have to come up earlier Skidooboy said they are calling for a storm on the way up.

zrtkat

This site ussually is more accurate.

shield's weather

Accurate isn't really a good word for weather forcasters though.

Just found out i'll be going on a 1.5 day sled trip this weekend. First time in a couple of years. Probably be in chapleau or Halfway Sat night.

Ok... not to hijack the thread, or dis anybody... But whose the guy on the Renegade in your video? He was not having a good day :rotflmao:

What did it (the Renegade) look like when you got home??

He only broke the windshield a little bit. Soft snow I guess. But your right he was not have a great day. First time riding steep technical terrain. He started understanding the sitting isn't a good thing when riding off trail.

Kat, Its snowing and blowing in Wawa right now, supposed to let up later today, -4c right now and forcasting -17 overnight. Heading out this afternoon would be the best if the weater is ok down there. You'll miss the blowing snow and be ready to enjoy the trails tomorrow. We got our D groomed end to end before it froze up, should be nice.

Kat, Its snowing and blowing in Wawa right now, supposed to let up later today, -4c right now and forcasting -17 overnight. Heading out this afternoon would be the best if the weater is ok down there. You'll miss the blowing snow and be ready to enjoy the trails tomorrow. We got our D groomed end to end before it froze up, should be nice.

Jonesy thanks for the update the weather looks good I see where they have a snow squall warning for sault ste marie we are hoping to launch from there this weekend.

will be up riding all next week will keep up-dated nightly

zrtkat& crew

Jonesy thanks for the update the weather looks good I see where they have a snow squall warning for sault ste marie we are hoping to launch from there this weekend.

will be up riding all next week will keep up-dated nightly

zrtkat& crew

I think they must have had some serious melting south of here as St. Joseph island has closed their trails. Haven't heard about the Soo yet.

I think they must have had some serious melting south of here as St. Joseph island has closed their trails. Haven't heard about the Soo yet.

Jonesy

will have to see how it looks when we get up there if it does not look good will keep on truckin up to wawa :-D

checking weather through Michigan they have weather advisories up it looks like we will be driving up through snow which makes for a long day.

either way we will be riding next week where? we do not know exactly, will adjust our plans as we go.

we cannot leave ohio until Saturday or sunday morning so will not be on the trails later this weekend should now better on how the trails are holding up by then.

See you sometime next week :woot:

I am sure I will need some oil for my Polaris

zrtkat

The trails in the Soo have survived, but they are not in the best shape. It is currently -10c Snowing and blowing really bad right now. Both east and north highways are closed down. They still have there annual Snowarama ride tomorrow ( 150km charity sled ride ). Hopefully we get some good snow and things will be good...

The trails in the Soo have survived, but they are not in the best shape. It is currently -10c Snowing and blowing really bad right now. Both east and north highways are closed down. They still have there annual Snowarama ride tomorrow ( 150km charity sled ride ). Hopefully we get some good snow and things will be good...

Kyzer

let me know how much snow you get overnight we cannot come up until sunday so we will be hitting the trails monday :right_on:

We will be waiting for your up-date we are planning on staying at the watertower inn if we stay at the soo thats what we are hoping to do rather be riding the snowmobiles than riding in the truck.

Thanks

Zrtkat & crew

Good mourning. I have just talked to a couple of guys that went to Goulais River for breakfast, they said the trails were ok, as in rough but very useable. They took a beating but are in decent shape. The trails north of Searchmont are as I was told in great shape. Right now it's -8c snowing pretty good and the wind has died down. If the groomers can get out tonight ( which I think they will ) the trails will be in great shape for your ride. Like I said earlier there is the big charity ride today, if the groomers don't get out tonight the trails will be really rough to Searchmont.Hope this helps a bit. I will update this afternoon, I have a couple of buddies riding to searchmont today. They are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow, all freezing temps. www.shieldsweather/soo.com ....

Any other questions don't hesitate to call

705-256-6845

Shawn

Good mourning. I have just talked to a couple of guys that went to Goulais River for breakfast, they said the trails were ok, as in rough but very useable. They took a beating but are in decent shape. The trails north of Searchmont are as I was told in great shape. Right now it's -8c snowing pretty good and the wind has died down. If the groomers can get out tonight ( which I think they will ) the trails will be in good shape for your ride. Like I said earlier there is the big charity ride today, if the groomers don't get out tonight the trails will be really rough to Searchmont.Hope this helps a bit. I will update this afternoon, I have a couple of buddies riding to searchmont today. They are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow, all freezing temps. www.shieldsweather/soo.com ....

Any other questions don't hesitate to call

705-256-6845

Shawn

Shawn

thanks for the up-date I was hoping to get a report I called the water tower inn and they acted like they did not get any snow .

Anyways our plan is to drive up Sunday morning and hit the trails Monday morning to Wawa.

Do you think we should launch from Searchmont ??????

We will be doing a big loop and returning to the soo Sunday The weather looks like it is going to be good.

thanks for all your help

will keep checking website for your up-dates

Greg

Shawn

thanks for the up-date I was hoping to get a report I called the water tower inn and they acted like they did not get any snow .

Anyways our plan is to drive up Sunday morning and hit the trails Monday morning to Wawa.

Do you think we should launch from Searchmont ??????

We will be doing a big loop and returning to the soo Sunday The weather looks like it is going to be good.

thanks for all your help

will keep checking website for your up-dates

Greg

Either Searchmont or Wawa would be a good start. If you want to ride I would start in Searchmont. But it's up to you. No reason not to start in Searchmont but it's entirely up to your crew. Will update later

kat, the extended forcast shows another warm up for the soo later in the week. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0603?ref=qlink_st_14day

they may have snow now but, why risk riding back to the water tower on asphalt and mud when you are in or near town?

i would at least start in searchmont then you are on the trail instead of needing to ride through town at all. you can still stay at the water tower, get up at a decent hour, drive the 30-40 minutes to searchmont, drop the truck, trailer and sleds at carls where they will be watched over and safe. and start your journey there.

even if there is a little warm up searchmonts trails will hold better in the bush than the soo's ever will. personally for me, i cant stand the sight of dirt or mud on the trail.

i guarantee it will take longer to ride the sleds to searchmont than it will in the trucks. and the sleds will thank you for it. LOL!

good luck in whatever you decide to do. travel safe, takes lots of pics, and keep us updated. ski

Either Searchmont or Wawa would be a good start. If you want to ride I would start in Searchmont. But it's up to you. No reason not to start in Searchmont but it's entirely up to your crew. Will update later

Shawn thanks

will check later for up-dates if we start in Searchmont Carl will let us leave truck and trailer there for a week ????? How much a day does he charge ?? or is it 1 price for all week ????

ok will let you go have to load trailer pack and get ready for tommorrow looks like a bad travel day through Michigan .

Thanks

Greg

Shawn thanks

will check later for up-dates if we start in Searchmont Carl will let us leave truck and trailer there for a week ????? How much a day does he charge ?? or is it 1 price for all week ????

ok will let you go have to load trailer pack and get ready for tommorrow looks like a bad travel day through Michigan .

Thanks

Greg

Usually he charges us $5 for a weekend. I am not sure but I have heard $15-$20 for the week depending on the size of your rig...

kat, the extended forcast shows another warm up for the soo later in the week. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0603?ref=qlink_st_14day

they may have snow now but, why risk riding back to the water tower on asphalt and mud when you are in or near town?

i would at least start in searchmont then you are on the trail instead of needing to ride through town at all. you can still stay at the water tower, get up at a decent hour, drive the 30-40 minutes to searchmont, drop the truck, trailer and sleds at carls where they will be watched over and safe. and start your journey there.

even if there is a little warm up searchmonts trails will hold better in the bush than the soo's ever will. personally for me, i cant stand the sight of dirt or mud on the trail.

i guarantee it will take longer to ride the sleds to searchmont than it will in the trucks. and the sleds will thank you for it. LOL!

good luck in whatever you decide to do. travel safe, takes lots of pics, and keep us updated. ski

ZRTKAT,

Ski is right! I left from the Blueberry Motel & Campgrounds yesterday and drove back to Michigan.

The rain and meltdown was bad and a Water Tower Inn launch would be brutal! I drove through town just west of the Water Tower. There was snow coming down, but with the winds it could not stay in the open areas. I also hate riding anything with color and there was a lot of black! The snow stopped about 5 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie in the U.P. and the temp. went back up to 39°F like someone flipped a switch! The roads were dry all the way back from there, but it was windy! No riding snow left anywhere that I saw in Michigan.

Trailer to Carl's in Searchmont and have a full tank of gas so you do not have to ride back to the Trading Post on that brutal scraped and sanded road from Carl's. It is bad enough to ride the distance to the start of the bypass trail because they are logging and the road is scrapped and sanded.

I am planning to go back up this Wednesday and I will be starting from Carl's in Searchmont (I used to give about $30 for the week to leave my stuff).

I hope the trails are groomed to beat down the hard chunks from this meltdown.

Have a great ride. The trail won't go away back to Seachmont, but the trail to the Water Tower is always a big risk if the weather turns.

ZRTKAT,

Ski is right! I left from the Blueberry Motel & Campgrounds yesterday and drove back to Michigan.

The rain and meltdown was bad and a Water Tower Inn launch would be brutal! I drove through town just west of the Water Tower. There was snow coming down, but with the winds it could not stay in the open areas. I also hate riding anything with color and there was a lot of black! The snow stopped about 5 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie in the U.P. and the temp. went back up to 39°F like someone flipped a switch! The roads were dry all the way back from there, but it was windy! No riding snow left anywhere that I saw in Michigan.

Trailer to Carl's in Searchmont and have a full tank of gas so you do not have to ride back to the Trading Post on that brutal scraped and sanded road from Carl's. It is bad enough to ride the distance to the start of the bypass trail because they are logging and the road is scrapped and sanded.

I am planning to go back up this Wednesday and I will be starting from Carl's in Searchmont (I used to give about $30 for the week to leave my stuff).

I hope the trails are groomed to beat down the hard chunks from this meltdown.

Have a great ride. The trail won't go away back to Seachmont, but the trail to the Water Tower is always a big risk if the weather turns.

'AC+YA'

Thanks for the up-date I think that is what we will do we are driving up Sunday and will see how things look when we get there , they are calling for snow sunday up that way .

Is that Carl there all the time?? , if we stay in the soo then get up in the morning drive to searchmont then leave from there.

Kyser is going to up-date me later today and I will see how the trails are in the area.

Thanks again for the info

zrtkat & crew

ZRTKAT,

Someone is usually around. There is a guy who also lives there in a cabin next to the parking. If you can ask how they want you to park or use your best judgement considering the others and possible snow plowing. I have just stuck a notr in the door on the house with a discription of my rig and my name. When I got back I paid.

Someone will probably be around. Just call and I am sure they will tell you what to do.

ZRTKAT,

Someone is usually around. There is a guy who also lives there in a cabin next to the parking. If you can ask how they want you to park or use your best judgement considering the others and possible snow plowing. I have just stuck a notr in the door on the house with a discription of my rig and my name. When I got back I paid.

Someone will probably be around. Just call and I am sure they will tell you what to do.

'AC+YA'

Thanks will keep you up-dated on the trails nightly

sounds like fun on the way up through Michigan sunday

thanks again

zrtkat

Glad to see you have come to your sences and driving to Carls.

You COULD git a cabin there too you know. I am sure that he will have one open for Sunday night. I think I posted his number on the first page of this thread. ???

Just git up in the morning and ride to Halfway for brunch and call it good. ????

Glad to see that your heading up in a "storm" and not shying away. I like the challanging drives! I never understood the guys that want to go ride a snowmachine, and then fuss about winter driving conditions. :crazy_grn:

Our most challanging was the time in March of '97 when I was in 4wd before I even hit Michigan! (It's only 10 miles away) Averaged 45mph all the way north in what started here as ice and turned to nigh blizzard about halfway up the LP. Both tanks empty when we got to Macinac and I really didn't want to risk the bridge on fumes. (Diesels don't doo well on fumes) But we were about 3 hrs later than expected and there was no gas stations open in Macinac, and had to risk the bridge. Made it to the truck stop on the other side, but had to go inside and git a hammer to break into my fuel tanks! There was about 3" of ice built up on the side of my truck!

14 yrs later and I remember it like it was only last week! All the uneventfull trips are long faded from memmory.

Made it to Blueberry Hill at 4:00 AM. About 3-4 hrs later than expected.

RigAtBlueBerryHillMarch97.jpg

Skidooboy

thats what we are going to do stay in the soo and drive to searchmont and launch from there.

will keep up-dating nightly on our journey

thanks for your help

zrtkat

Glad to see you have come to your sences and driving to Carls.

You COULD git a cabin there too you know. I am sure that he will have one open for Sunday night. I think I posted his number on the first page of this thread. ???

Just git up in the morning and ride to Halfway for brunch and call it good. ????

Glad to see that your heading up in a "storm" and not shying away. I like the challanging drives! I never understood the guys that want to go ride a snowmachine, and then fuss about winter driving conditions. :crazy_grn:

Our most challanging was the time in March of '97 when I was in 4wd before I even hit Michigan! (It's only 10 miles away) Averaged 45mph all the way north in what started here as ice and turned to nigh blizzard about halfway up the LP. Both tanks empty when we got to Macinac and I really didn't want to risk the bridge on fumes. (Diesels don't doo well on fumes) But we were about 3 hrs later than expected and there was no gas stations open in Macinac, and had to risk the bridge. Made it to the truck stop on the other side, but had to go inside and git a hammer to break into my fuel tanks! There was about 3" of ice built up on the side of my truck!

14 yrs later and I remember it like it was only last week! All the uneventfull trips are long faded from memmory.

Made it to Blueberry Hill at 4:00 AM. About 3-4 hrs later than expected.

RigAtBlueBerryHillMarch97.jpg

Ox

thanks for the number will call him on the way up maybe if he has a cabin for sunday night might just stay there.

Also I enjoy a challenge of driving in snowstorms as I drive a truck for a living have been in many a snowstorm on 70 going thru the mountains of colorado chaining up being towed up Vale to the tunnel have had many challenging journeys thru colorado.

u posted on our trip.

thanks for your help

zrtkat

Hope we have a easy day tommorrow will keep yo

depending on when you leave kat, you might not have that bad of a drive at all. our storm is supposed to start out with snow this afternoon. then switch over to sleet, rain, and freezing rain but, they dont know where the line will be exactly. sounds like somewhere from the m59 to the I69 corridor will be the temp line. then the storm is going to switch back over to all snow. could be all rain, could be 20" of snow. could be a mix. sounds like about 5-8" of snow here. i am hoping for no freezing rain because i am an insurance adjuster and my workload will skyrocket with a storm like that. people cant drive on rain or snow, let alone freezing rain. ah, i guess you can call it, job security. LOL

drive safe. have fun. wishing i was goin with you. but, with your updates, i am. and for that we ALL thank you! ski

Archived