North of Superior loop

snow_girl

We will be trucking our sleds to Wawa and leave from there to head west towards Marathon and doing the north of Superior loop. Since this is the first time for the 4 of us taking this trip to ride in this area, I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations of places to stay. We are planning on staying in these towns during our trip: Wawa, Marathon, Beardmore, Mooseland, Hornepayne, and then of course back to Wawa. These may change as we have not set a specific route as of yet. We are leaving on February 18th and hoping to make this loop in 5 days. Therefore, recommendations for other towns along the way are also welcome.

Also, does anyone have any report on the trail conditions in that area. By looking at the OFSC website, it looks like the trails have just recently opened. I have been reading posts on this forum for the last couple of weeks, but haven't seen much from anyone reporting on this part of the country. This is my first time posting in this forum. By the way, I think this forum is great!

The Greenstone Area trails have been open for a while now. All of the trails around Greenstone have been groomed this week in preparation for the Greenstone Loop Poker Rally.

The Snowmobile trails to Beardmore and Jellicoe will be groomed again next week (February 11-15).

If you need updates for the Greenstone area visit:

Snow girl. If you are going to try to make Marathon to Beardmore in one day via Nipigon, I wouldn't recommend it. The trail from Marathon to Nipigon is 170 miles of the hilliest, tightest, curviest trail you have ever seen. It is a chore to get to Nipigon in one day from Marathon. The guys (and girls) in our group were so tired by the time we got to Nipigon we wished we would have broken up that stage of the trip. If you get a sunny day though, you won't believe the vistas. The views over the lake are outstanding. I don't know about Mooseland, I don't think they have accomodations, but I could be wrong. Below is the trip we did in 05. You need to double check the miles (as trails change) and places to stay, Northern lights is not open in the winter anymore so you need to find different accomodations in Wawa.

Saturday, March 19th, Thursday March 24th, and Friday March 25th.

Wawa

Northern Lights Motel

1-800-937-2414

Sunday, March 20th.

NL to Marathon

Via D7 - 166 Miles

Lunch at HC Lodge or White River

Marathon Harbor Inn

888-729-3404

Monday, March 21st.

Marathon to Nipigon

Via D Trail – 176 Miles

Lunch at Schreiber or Rossport

Pinecrest Motel (On D Trail)

807-887-2813

Tuesday, March 22nd.

Nipigon to Longlac

Via A Trail - 181 Miles

Lunch In Jellico

Woodlands Inn

807-876-2264

Wednesday, March 23rd.

Longlac to Hearst

Optional Morning ride to Nakina 100 miles round trip

Lunch in Longlac

Via A107A/A – 126 Miles

Companion Inn

1-888-468-9888 (Canadian access only)

1-705-362-4304

Thursday, March 23rd.

Hearst to NL Via A/D108A/Magpie – 232 Miles

Lunch in Hornepayne

Trip Total – 981 Miles

Others of interest on that loop would be:

Geraldton - Park Motel - 807-854-1716

Longlac - Loree Des Bois (Maybe that makes sence to you?) 807-876-2252 They are located on-trail - but I have never been there yet and I have no idea where I got the info.

Gravel River Resort (West of Schreiber) - 807-887-1842 (Been a few yrs since I have been there to know for sure if they are still there.)

Terrace Bay = Imperial Motel - 807-825-3226

Snow girl. If you are going to try to make Marathon to Beardmore in one day via Nipigon, I wouldn't recommend it. The trail from Marathon to Nipigon is 170 miles of the hilliest, tightest, curviest trail you have ever seen. It is a chore to get to Nipigon in one day from Marathon. The guys (and girls) in our group were so tired by the time we got to Nipigon we wished we would have broken up that stage of the trip. If you get a sunny day though, you won't believe the vistas. The views over the lake are outstanding.

Wawa to Nippigon via D trail is KILLER terrain and scenery!

This is a "MUST DOO" trip when there is good snow if you have never done it before!

"Good Snow" is the catch as they don't always have enough on the north shore. But when they doo.... :woot:

----------

EDIT

I forgot to add:

White River = Continental Motel / Husky = 807-822-2441 or 7343

Can git your machines inside to thaw there!

Snow girl. If you are going to try to make Marathon to Beardmore in one day via Nipigon, I wouldn't recommend it. The trail from Marathon to Nipigon is 170 miles of the hilliest, tightest, curviest trail you have ever seen. It is a chore to get to Nipigon in one day from Marathon. The guys (and girls) in our group were so tired by the time we got to Nipigon we wished we would have broken up that stage of the trip. If you get a sunny day though, you won't believe the vistas. The views over the lake are outstanding.

Wawa to Nippigon via D trail is KILLER terrain and scenery!

This is a "MUST DOO" trip when there is good snow if you have never done it before!

"Good Snow" is the catch as they don't always have enough on the north shore. But when they doo.... :woot:

Yes, awesome trail. Didn't mean to be negative, I loved it, it was just a long day so making Beardmore would be very tough. I also recommend studs on that trip. There is a hill West of Marathon where they have to take two groomers, one to pull the other groomer up with the drag.

There is nothing @ Mooseland, just a vacant building. Check the link in my signature for accommodation info.

On a personal note, the Continental in White River screwed me on a reservation (booked aroom & it wasn't there when I arrived) several years ago. The White River Motel is run by nice folks (they made it down to the Toronto Sled Show 1 year) & have stayed their several times.

Wow, thanks everyone for all your info. I will certainly take all this into consideration and share with my gang before we decide exactly how much mileage to do per day/where to stay. I certainly don't want to plan the impossible such as Marathon to Beardmore if it is that, impossible. I'd appreciate some time to enjoy the scenary and not be extremely tired that I won't want to continue the next day. And yes, our machines are studded, and I'll check with the other couple that is coming.

I am really looking forward to this trip. I have barely put any miles on my sled yet this year. Here in French River, the snow is very scarce and as a result trails are not really worth it.

We will certainly skip Mooseland if there is nothing there. I will check out all the places everyone recommended.

Has anyone been in those trails recently? How are the conditions of the north shore trails?

We will be trucking our sleds to Wawa and leave from there to head west towards Marathon and doing the north of Superior loop. Since this is the first time for the 4 of us taking this trip to ride in this area, I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations of places to stay. We are planning on staying in these towns during our trip: Wawa, Marathon, Beardmore, Mooseland, Hornepayne, and then of course back to Wawa. These may change as we have not set a specific route as of yet. We are leaving on February 18th and hoping to make this loop in 5 days. Therefore, recommendations for other towns along the way are also welcome.

Also, does anyone have any report on the trail conditions in that area. By looking at the OFSC website, it looks like the trails have just recently opened. I have been reading posts on this forum for the last couple of weeks, but haven't seen much from anyone reporting on this part of the country. This is my first time posting in this forum. By the way, I think this forum is great!

Welcome to the forum snow_girl! :wavey:

Sounds like you have a great trip planned, you'll love the trails up that way! Take some pics............

Snowgirl, we would love to have you stop in for gas/lunch/accommodations. We're on the A107A between Longlac and Hearst. We have gas, confections and wireless internet. What days were you planning on coming thru?

We are leaving from Wawa on February 18. Don't know which day we will be in your area yet. I've been on your website and will certainly add your place to my list of accomodations options. I hope to have our trip details finalize this weekend.

Let us know what you come up with, sometimes there is a hint or two that can make your trip more enjoyable. The board members here sure like to help. According to Marthon report on the ofsc site: "D" East - OPEN - Groomed from Marathon to White Lake. (about half way to White River) "D" West - Limited from Marathon to Neys. Closed west of Neys. D110A - Closed. Goodchild Trail - Closed. Local Access Trails - Open" You may want to check in again to see if that trail opened, sounds like the D was still closed at some point. But don't fear, if you want to see the terrain just ride a few miles East of Marathon you can see the overlooks, then turn around and head to Manitowadge. That is fun terrain also.

Welcome to OC.com, snow_girl. Glad you were able to get lots of information. Have a great trip ... make sure you take lots of pics!

Welcome.gif

Snow girl, there was a group headed around there that left here yesterday with one of my rentals, I will let you know what their opinion is when they get back on tuesday.

snow girl, we're leaving the 14th (v day), heading up to maintouwadge (driving straight there). they have a winter carnival going on at that time. we will be trail riding the area on and offtrail on friday. we are to be riding off trail only on saturday the 16th and monday the 18th (dan kelly from sled north is guiding us), sunday we'll probably do a mixture of on and off trail early in the day and headed back to the tv for the daytona 500. comming home on tuesday the 19th. if you see a group of yamahas say hi! no place to stay there in town any longer or i would ask you to stay in town and ride with us. ski

Snow girl, there was a group headed around there that left here yesterday with one of my rentals, I will let you know what their opinion is when they get back on tuesday.

That's good, thank you. Looking forward to their trail report. I'm counting down the days until the 18th.

Snow girl. If you are going to try to make Marathon to Beardmore in one day via Nipigon, I wouldn't recommend it. The trail from Marathon to Nipigon is 170 miles of the hilliest, tightest, curviest trail you have ever seen. It is a chore to get to Nipigon in one day from Marathon. The guys (and girls) in our group were so tired by the time we got to Nipigon we wished we would have broken up that stage of the trip. If you get a sunny day though, you won't believe the vistas. The views over the lake are outstanding. I don't know about Mooseland, I don't think they have accomodations, but I could be wrong. Below is the trip we did in 05. You need to double check the miles (as trails change) and places to stay, Northern lights is not open in the winter anymore so you need to find different accomodations in Wawa.

Wawa

Northern Lights Motel

1-800-937-2414

Sunday, March 20th.

NL to Marathon

Via D7 - 166 Miles

Marathon Harbor Inn

888-729-3404

The mileage shown of 166 miles, was this via Magpie River?

SG - Have a great trip. Look through the threads here about A107A if you're going from Longlac to Hearst. You'll need to get off the trail to get gas. If you need info about Longlac and that area contact the people at Klotz Lake, they have a nice place there, good food and a nice place to stay.

Good Luck,

AO

Wawa

Northern Lights Motel

1-800-937-2414

Sunday, March 20th.

NL to Marathon

Via D7 - 166 Miles

Marathon Harbor Inn

888-729-3404

The mileage shown of 166 miles, was this via Magpie River?

Yep, that is why I said to double check my mileages, good catch! That is a typo, is about 210 if you go up the D7. 166 is via the magpie.

Ge ready for Big Hills, There Big Major Ones!!!!! West of marathon is Very nice but there is Big Hills. I would recomend you take the D trail from Wawa or the magpie Reservoir, D-7 Is longer and a Bit more twisty.n If you take the Magpie, Please use Caution, the water level goes down and there is spots where the Ice goed down and creates big Humps,......or Jumps lol

Archived