& they say the trails are closed?

claudie

Just arrived @ the cottage (south of Parry Sound). Sleds are snarling all over around us - the "closed" trails we saw are packed from a lot of traffic, they're all over the lake, & I'm sitting here in the cottage planning to trailer to Waubashene in the morning? Why aren't the trails here at least listed as "limited"? Something's wrong with this picture.

Just arrived @ the cottage (south of Parry Sound). Sleds are snarling all over around us - the "closed" trails we saw are packed from a lot of traffic, they're all over the lake, & I'm sitting here in the cottage planning to trailer to Waubashene in the morning? Why aren't the trails here at least listed as "limited"? Something's wrong with this picture.

We are faced with several pond issues as well as swamps . The Seguin is limited from The Quality inn to Sprucedale The 201 is limited from North Sandy Plains road to the Seguin . Lakes are inconsistant ice thickness and many people are doing damage to thier sleds on rocks and stumps that are not well covered with snow.

So which is better list them as closed if they are not ready or list them as limited and draw people into an unsafe and unsavoury experience ? I have checked them personally. They are not ready.

Fair enough, but "closed" means I'm trespassing if I go there. "Limited" now means it's open, but rider beware. "Open" supposedly means "go for it - no problems". I'd rather go for a short ride, or slow ride, than not ride, or else risk a trespassing charge. If a trail is listed as limited, I understand that I might find a wet spot or other obstruction & need to turn around, but at least I can ride without fearing a day in court.

Fair enough, but "closed" means I'm trespassing if I go there. "Limited" now means it's open, but rider beware. "Open" supposedly means "go for it - no problems". I'd rather go for a short ride, or slow ride, than not ride, or else risk a trespassing charge. If a trail is listed as limited, I understand that I might find a wet spot or other obstruction & need to turn around, but at least I can ride without fearing a day in court.

you being the one rider out of ten that would be looking out and knowing what trails mean on a limited condition. not good for the next nine who think limited is time to giver

We are faced with several pond issues as well as swamps . The Seguin is limited from The Quality inn to Sprucedale The 201 is limited from North Sandy Plains road to the Seguin . Lakes are inconsistant ice thickness and many people are doing damage to thier sleds on rocks and stumps that are not well covered with snow.

So which is better list them as closed if they are not ready or list them as limited and draw people into an unsafe and unsavoury experience ? I have checked them personally. They are not ready.

201 Limited? It's "closed" according to the interactive trail guide. Where is it listed as "limited"?

you being the one rider out of ten that would be looking out and knowing what trails mean on a limited condition. not good for the next nine who think limited is time to giver

Your comment suggests that the trails should be listed as "open" or "closed" and nothing in between. I think that a$$holes that disregard conditions as they are don't even check the trail guide. If they meet with disaster, well, that's "natural selection" at its finest. Thin out the gene pool, as Darwin postulated.

The issue is not responsable sledders like you but jacka$$es that will sue if they get into trouble or hurt themselves by not riding smart and want thier day in court. If the province of Ontario would pass similar legislation to New Brunswick this would not be as big an issue. Inyears gone by we liked the sleds out there because they drove the frost in and made it easier to groom. My understanding is that before we can declare it even limited we must have made one pass with the groomer if this was done now the water areas truly would be a mess.

201 Limited? It's "closed" according to the interactive trail guide. Where is it listed as "limited"?

hmmmmmmm there seems to be a glitch I updated it as limited on Monday from North sandy plains to the Seguin .

I will send an e-mail to the appropriate authorities .

OK, here's the story. We left Little White today before noon. From the transfer site at #141, we went north on 201 all the way to the Seguin. After a stop at Tim's on #400, we con't south on C to Memories (yes we did). 201 to Sandy Plains Rd to #201 then across #141 to continue on 201 to Little White.

We packed, we widened, and WE PRUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our suits are inside out, drying from the sweating.

There are 3 places that need attention. On 201 going north from the transfer site on #141: about 1/2 km north is a fallen tree that needs a chainsaw. Then just past trail 204 to Horseshoe Lake (about 200 ft), there's a round rock about 16" in diameter frozen into the middle of the trail. This one needs a big crowbar. There are ski tracks on either side of it, and track tracks right across it, & I think the paint marks on the rock match Racer 12's sled (how's your pan, Racer?)

Other than that, there's a big rock in need of a crowbar on 201 midway between Memories & Sandy Plains Rd S.

We packed, widened, pruned, & removed most (but not all) of the visor slappers. Now we're drinking beer. A good day's work, plus fun on a stick (no, that should be fun on a sled).

OK, here's the story. We left Little White today before noon. From the transfer site at #141, we went north on 201 all the way to the Seguin. After a stop at Tim's on #400, we con't south on C to Memories (yes we did). 201 to Sandy Plains Rd to #201 then across #141 to continue on 201 to Little White.

We packed, we widened, and WE PRUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our suits are inside out, drying from the sweating.

There are 3 places that need attention. On 201 going north from the transfer site on #141: about 1/2 km north is a fallen tree that needs a chainsaw. Then just past trail 204 to Horseshoe Lake (about 200 ft), there's a round rock about 16" in diameter frozen into the middle of the trail. This one needs a big crowbar. There are ski tracks on either side of it, and track tracks right across it, & I think the paint marks on the rock match Racer 12's sled (how's your pan, Racer?)

Other than that, there's a big rock in need of a crowbar on 201 midway between Memories & Sandy Plains Rd S.

We packed, widened, pruned, & removed most (but not all) of the visor slappers. Now we're drinking beer. A good day's work, plus fun on a stick (no, that should be fun on a sled).

Thank you for your efforts today guys it was great talking to you this morning thanks for the help as club volunteers helping to get the trails ready and get rid of the face slappers :right_on:

Claudie, thank you and your team for your efforts. It's guys like you that make our trails ready and safe to ride. My hands off to you all.

Claudie, thank you and your team for your efforts. It's guys like you that make our trails ready and safe to ride. My hands off to you all.

Uh, RAM, if you ever saw the blonde hair streaming out from under that black helmet, you'd know that CLAUDIE wasn't a "guy". Nevertheless, I'm sure she'll appreciate the gratitudes.

We've been up at the cottage on Whitestone Lake since Wednesday. As we were driving up, we saw lots of 'Trail Closed' signs and lots of sleds riding the trails. I am very anxious to get out on the sled, but definitely don't want to head out on a closed trail ... I'm guessing it's closed for a reason. It frustrates me to see sledders ignoring these signs and probably wrecking the trails (as well as their sleds) because they can't wait a week or two.

Hoping the rain goes away soon and the snow is back ... would love to get some miles on the sled before the OC Ride for Kelly!

• 2 weeks later...

Wildbill, can you help me find the specific part of the law that says you're trespassing if an OFSC Club posts that their trail(s) is/are "CLOSED".

Is that in the MSVA?

I presume that doesn't apply to Crown Land, only to private property.

I am sorry I do not know. E-mail Yukon he may know where to send you.

Heard a rumor that ice fishermen can use OFSC trails with no permit, if they are packing fishing tackle. If that's the case, Sledders should be able to avoid trespassing charges by carrying a chain saw and machette. :-D

Heard a rumor that ice fishermen can use OFSC trails with no permit, if they are packing fishing tackle. If that's the case, Sledders should be able to avoid trespassing charges by carrying a chain saw and machette. :-D

That is true, with limitations. A fisherman can use the OFSC trail from the closest access point to the waterway that they are fishing. In other words, the fellow that we caught on the trail near Woodville that said he didn't need a permit because he was going fishing burned himself when he said he was going fishing on Lake Simcoe. (about 20 Km) :rotflmao:

had a guy try that in court he lost.

had a guy try that in court he lost.

Hunters and trappers don't need a trail permit either but they need to be able to demonstrate that intent. They need their equipment with them and need to be in an appropriate location for hunting and trapping. Running a trail through town really doesn't qualify. Maybe they are hunting A&W Root Bears.

I was just wondering how that leaves Club Directors and Volunteers who are out on the trails signing and brushing when they are still officially Closed.

I'll follow up with Yukon.

It is not in the MSVA but it is under the trespass charge. Club volunteers are there on behalf of the club (the legal agent of the owner) and therefore are not trespassing.

Hunters and trappers don't need a trail permit either but they need to be able to demonstrate that intent. They need their equipment with them and need to be in an appropriate location for hunting and trapping. Running a trail through town really doesn't qualify. Maybe they are hunting A&W Root Bears.

They also may NOT be on private property or club owned structures such as bridges As well it must be from the nearest point of egress only.

Archived