Conditions

Hey Bill

How is the club making out with trail?

A Big thanks to you and all volunteers and a very Marry Xmas and Happy new year. :right_on:

As a club director the OFSC has asked us to refer everyone to the OFSC official site for any trail conditions except through the OFSC website. Please feel free to phone me . Also feel free to contact the OFSC and let them know how pleased that you are with this new direction.

As a club director the OFSC has asked us to refer everyone to the OFSC official site for any trail conditions except through the OFSC website. Please feel free to phone me . Also feel free to contact the OFSC and let them know how pleased that you are with this new direction.

There is another post about this in the "General Discussion" forum.

This is extremely disapointing news. I personally love this website for the accurate trail update posts and conditions from various OFSC club representatives, volunteers and other sledders from the area. Although the new OFSC interactive trail guide is convenient, I have always counted on the narrative trail updates from the local clubs... Mostly found on this website. "Limited" trails mean different things to different people. Narrative descriptons are a valuable resourse from the hard-working volunteers who actually KNOW these trail conditions. I understand the liability concerns, but isn't more information better than less? Especially it it comes from the very people who put their sweat, blood and pride into our amazing trail system?

Hey Bill

A Big thanks to you and all volunteers and a very Marry Xmas and Happy new year. :right_on:

If Mother Christmas or Racer12 are not club directors perhaps they could start posting the conditions for your area.

They, or if you know someone else in the area who could give us updates, that would be much appreciated.

There is another post about this in the "General Discussion" forum.

This is extremely disapointing news. I personally love this website for the accurate trail update posts and conditions from various OFSC club representatives, volunteers and other sledders from the area. Although the new OFSC interactive trail guide is convenient, I have always counted on the narrative trail updates from the local clubs... Mostly found on this website. "Limited" trails mean different things to different people. Narrative descriptons are a valuable resourse from the hard-working volunteers who actually KNOW these trail conditions. I understand the liability concerns, but isn't more information better than less? Especially it it comes from the very people who put their sweat, blood and pride into our amazing trail system?

Well-said, NIGHTFIRE. :right_on:

This whole OFSC position on eliminating absolutely ANY local details from trail conditions reporting has gone from sublime to ridiculous, when the very club volunteers and personnel who do (or oversee) the actual trail work aren't even officially allowed to share (on web-sites like this) additional more specific trail information, where/when warranted...for instance, about hazards such as logging start-ups, temporary wash-outs after a storm, etc. :mad:

This is "liability chill" taken to a ludicrous extreme, IMO. As NIGHTFIRE says, isn't MORE information better than less??? :banghead: Where in God's name is the common sense in this approach??? That old sardonic saying about the legal system seems to be increasingly coming true..."What's common sense got to do with the law?"

Next we'll be told that there will be only two categories of trail condition...CLOSED and OPEN...and the trails won't be rated as OPEN unless conditions are seen to be virtually perfect.

What has the Ontario snowmobiling world come to?

:soapbox:

I couldn't agree more. This site has always been better than the OFSC site.

Hey Bill

Well I let them know how pleased I am with there new direction.

Here is their reply :wtf:

Thanks for your email.

For many good reasons text information is a thing of the past.

The text comments were often inconsistent, irregular and impossible to pinpoint on a paper map.

From a risk management perspective, the text comments significantly increased potential liability concerns due to the above reasons.

With the new system, all a rider needs to know is that a trail is Green (open and ready to ride), Yellow (available to ride with caution) or Red (closed) – and these colours will show as they may apply to various and very specific sections of trail.

So does it really matter why a trail shows Yellow? What you need to know is that whatever section of trail that applies to should be travelled with heightened caution.

The new site is challenging if you are on dial up, are using an old version browser or have firewall restrictions.

Otherwise, it should work fine and fast, as it does for most users we hear from.

For optimum functionality, use Internet Explorer 7 or later, Google Chrome or the latest version of Firefox.

· To have your district of choice display on the guide, click that district on the map provided on the Interactive opening page.

· As with Goggle maps, use the tool in the top left corner of the Interactive Trail Guide to pan & zoom in/out.

· If you know which area you want a closer look at, zoom in by double-clicking on that section of the map face (repeat double click to zoom in more).

· Have the guide zoom into any specific location with a place name (i.e. – town, river, road) by entering: (proper name), Ontario in the Search Box located at the top right of the guide face and then clicking the magnifying glass icon.

· Move to any section of the guide face by clicking & holding the cursor on the guide face, then dragging in whatever direction you choose.

Safe riding and have great winter on OFSC trails!

Craig Nicholson

OFSC Communications

Interesting reply, and for the most part it makes sense.... but they didn't offer any explanation as to why people aren't allowed to conditions on other forums...If they want to keep it away from their own website all the power to them. But don't try to keep people's mouths shut. If somebody asks me what certain trails are like I think I should give them an honest review.

Would anybody here buy a sled if someone's description of that sled was somewhere between not bad and decent?

Guess I just like to rant sometimes... :banghead:

Interesting reply, and for the most part it makes sense.... but they didn't offer any explanation as to why people aren't allowed to conditions on other forums...If they want to keep it away from their own website all the power to them. But don't try to keep people's mouths shut. If somebody asks me what certain trails are like I think I should give them an honest review.

Would anybody here buy a sled if someone's description of that sled was somewhere between not bad and decent?

As I see it there is the official channel of status which is the OFSC categories of Closed Limited and Open and does make sense from a liability perspective. If someone were in an "official capacity" tell someone that the trails were in great shape then that rider gets injured there would likely be a question of liability.

This is however a free country where people are able to speak freely. Just not as a representative of the OFSC or associated clubs. If I was to go for a ride in ie. the London area and report back on a forum or even to a friend on the phone that the ride was great and the trails were in great shape however watch out for a couple of wet spots I can do that as an individual reporting on my personal experience for that ride, not as a representative of that club or the OFSC which I would not be.

As I see it there is the official channel of status which is the OFSC categories of Closed Limited and Open and does make sense from a liability perspective. If someone were in an "official capacity" tell someone that the trails were in great shape then that rider gets injured there would likely be a question of liability.

This is however a free country where people are able to speak freely. Just not as a representative of the OFSC or associated clubs. If I was to go for a ride in ie. the London area and report back on a forum or even to a friend on the phone that the ride was great and the trails were in great shape however watch out for a couple of wet spots I can do that as an individual reporting on my personal experience for that ride, not as a representative of that club or the OFSC which I would not be.

I agree but wonder where the line is drawn if I were to give my opinion of the trail conditions in my local area. As a member of the executive, would my opinion affect the club's liability? I would hope not, as I am merely stating my unofficial opinion. However, I would not want to have to test that in court.

Maybe we have to have disclaimers tattooed on our foreheads stating that anything we say is our opinion only and not an official statement. :banghead::banghead:

But as a club Exec you are putting people in harms way if someone encounters something different than what you posted

Archived