Sudbury Trail Conditions?

sonic blue

Planning to come up to Sudbury the weekend of March 5. Does any body have info on what trails are like right now. OFSC trail report is listing most trails limited to open, has anybody been on them, is worth coming up there. Really enjoyed riding there last year. Any info would appreciated

Planning to come up to Sudbury the weekend of March 5. Does any body have info on what trails are like right now. OFSC trail report is listing most trails limited to open, has anybody been on them, is worth coming up there. Really enjoyed riding there last year. Any info would appreciated

trails are not bad considering snow amounts, lotsa rocks in the city limits, if you do plan to ride, head north of the city

I highly suggest if you are coming to Sudbury, that you trailer to a place and offload outside of City Limits such as Capreol or Rocky's. This will give you access to the best trails. The "in town" riding isn't the best and I wouldn't leave from my yard to do the trails in the area. I'd be trailering to one of the above locations.

Evil

I rode east out of Coniston today, D is good as is 81, lots of snow on the trails, easy access out of here to anywhere north, park at the arena, have breakfast at the Colonial.Are you familiar with our trails, I can give you some great loops with distance and times depending on how far you want to ride. The forecast is calling for warmer temps over the next week but lows are goingto hol the snow, Wed is the worst day being that it will be 0 and sunny.

Thanks for the replys. It sounds better than what there is down south here. We'll have to keep to east and north as suggested. Thanks again. sonic :right_on:

Thanks for the replys. I sounds better than what there is down south here. We'll have to keep to east and north as suggested. Thanks again. sonic :right_on:

The weather looks to be getting very warm and some rain on the Week-end, you may want to reconsider your plans, hard to say, I hope they are wrong.

We'll be riding Fri & Sat and hopefully the rain will hold off til Sun. Saw your pics on FS and hope to get one last trip in this year. We're staying near Coniston, where's the arena from there? Thanks sonic

We just drove through Sudbury this afternoon on our way home...the trails we could see from the road ...all the way from the Sault through Sudbury to just north of North Bay are down to grass and dirt. I would suggest riding further north I think. The spring Sun has done a ton of damage with no new snow :cry:

We just drove down from Gowganda through New liskeard and although a bit thin near town just outside of town trails looked nice. Seen a group running through the trail in field moving along pretty quickly. The trails looked MINT heading out of Gowganda towards Elk Lake. Not a track down them.

We just drove through Sudbury this afternoon on our way home...the trails we could see from the road ...all the way from the Sault through Sudbury to just north of North Bay are down to grass and dirt. I would suggest riding further north I think. The spring Sun has done a ton of damage with no new snow :cry:

I'm sure the will be closing some of the trails around town; however trails from Capreol or Rocky's should still be in good shape. I'm leaving from Rockys Friday and heading to Timmins. Coming back on Saturday.

Evil

I'm sure the will be closing some of the trails around town; however trails from Capreol or Rocky's should still be in good shape. I'm leaving from Rockys Friday and heading to Timmins. Coming back on Saturday.

Evil

Picture on D just east of Coniston taken March 2nd 2pm, current weather is sunny and -3 thursday calls for high of -2 friday plus 4 and sat +6, I am riding to shining tree thursday morning from here and will report on conditions and route taken upon return.

Hey evil what about pinefalls lodge area have you heard anything from over there?

Evil

here is the best advice I can give you at this point from Coniston and around Pinefalls

Sudbury area- stay well north of 17 for the best riding. As Zoso says you could stay at the Chateau Guay or Colonial and head north from there on D and then C206D (Pinefalls is just off of D). The old rail bed is pretty thin but still Ok as of last night (but the slag bed will create problems shortly if this heay t wave continues) C206D should be good all around but be carefula as some of the snow bridges may start to open if it stays warm. C to Shinning Tree should be OK for some time to come as they have a good base. There is one section of this on the pole line that will have stones protruding due to low snow conditions. C111D to Cartier is in the best condition it has been in in years. trail 56 to Val Caron I am told is the same but when you get close to town and the streets they are bare

As of yesterday you could leave Coniston and go to Estaire and the trail was pretty good but the hill by Alice lake will be taking a beating in this heat.

Hope this helps

We just in from about a 260km run from Field to Pine Falls up to Sportsmans then up the C206D. Did the loop around Wolf MTN Chinigushi loop(not sure on spelling). Railbed was excellent. Most of the 206 was really nice. Odd stone stikin through. The wosrt part was from the turn off to Rockys down the 206D and again south of Kukagami lake. Oh ya, make sure to stop at Pine Falls.

Rode over 300 km today on some great trails, keep it on the railbed and north for the best running, chiniguchi is good, took it off trail for a change and found good running everywhere except the trils out of town are getting thin and 78 was not great, we only choose to run it today because the guys I was with needed to get to North Bay and they were running short of time. Here is a link to the route we rode.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103589573816647402998.00048116480a1434a2a85&z=10

Archived