Idiots on the Trails

revrnd

could i please see some more opinions please.

Well, since you asked, despite what this thread would have you believe, there is no group of idiots on the trail, highway, or anywhere else. I have made mistakes, you have made mistakes, we have all made mistakes. If you have never misjudged a corner, accidentally went over the speed limit, failed to get traction, or anything else that makes someone an "idiot," you are either not human or you put no more than a couple of miles on your snowmobile each year. For every time you witness an idiot, there is another instance of someone else calling you the idiot. Thus is the nature of driving vehicles in close proximity to each other.

Proof positive that you DO NOT ride in southern Muskoka.

Being run off the trail by a "GROUP" of azzhats is a common occurence around there. Seeing the OPP on a ticket writing party for numbers or Licence stickers sitting at the road / trail intersections is almost as common.

Riding above the speed limit on trails is not the same as riding like a complete tool and endangering others. Not even close.

Cutting a corner where you CAN CLEARLY SEE that there is no oncoming traffic is one thing. Cutting every BLIND CORNER thru the woods where there is no way in h e l l that you can see oncoming traffic in VERY BUSY areas on the weekend is endangering other peoples lives.

If you truely believe that what I posted earlier isn't a problem, come on up to Gravenhurst on a Saturday and I'll let you lead up the D trail. After I help you out of the bush and watch you produce your "papers" 3 or 4 times, I will ask for your opinion on azzhats and the OPP again :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that those critical of the OPP trailside setups might consider things from the point of view of resources management.

If an officer is out on a sled on the trails, there is little possibility of rapid response to a child abduction, house invasion, large traffic accident etc. than there would be if officers are parked beside a trail. This is particularly aggravated in rural areas where personel are stretched thin. At least the stop checks stop some infractions.

Are those that are complaining about 'delays' no longer flying from airports or braving the roads of the province during 'construction season' in the summer?

So if two or more officers are sitting on a busy piece of trail with their ticket books on the seat of their OPP snowmobiles doing nothing but checking paper work and writing tickets all day, does this make the missing child safer? the victims of the home invasion? the people involved in the large traffic accident?

NO!

It also does nothing to make the trails safer either and in some cases ( and oh yes I have seen it personally when they set themselves up on a blind corner ) more dangerous to the users of the trail system.

Proof positive that you DO NOT ride in southern Muskoka.

I have in the past. I will concede that perhaps this a new development. Although I agree wholeheartedly with your points about the OPP. The snowmobile proudly displays virtually all of the information required for them to verify that the snowmobile has all of the proper paperwork in place at a quick glance. If they have to stop someone for another infraction, sure, take a closer look at the paperwork if you wish; otherwise, what is the point?

It doesn't matter what region you're riding in the "wannabes" are out there. When some areas have no snow, that areas that have snow see more than their share of azzhats on the trails. We see it whenever there are low snow conditions in the Ganny. They flock to Paudash. As soon as the Ganny gets dumped on, the parking lots along 35 & 115 are full of trailers & the Paudash trails are quiet.

I know a friend who was stopped on the Miskwabi Trail earlier this winter because he was approaching a corner & met 2 sleds that had cut the corner. The 3rd sledder in the group hit him head on. Friend's sled was a writeoff & charges were laid.

As the father of one newly licenced sledder, my 12 yr old daughter I CAN TELL YOU THAT MY DRIVING STYLE HAS BECOME SO DEFENSIVE ITS NOT FUNNY.

I have been sledding in Ontario for 40 years and have never seen the ABUSE of our trail system as bad as it is the last couple seasons.

I ride lead, always have for some unknown reason. I often find myself coming to a complete stop and using my sled as a buffer zone for my daughter and wife who rides sweep. More than once this season I have been tempted to repeat my infamous "clothes line" tactic on some jackazz who thinks the trail is his and his alone.

OK, now the rant part.

WTF is wrong with the police ??????????????????????????????????????

Why sit at some intersection checking paper work and writing stupid tickets for various MINOR technical offences when they should be ON THE TRAIL riding. The fact that some of the IDIOTS out there would surely end up coming at a OPP sled like a wannabe racer would lend to some REAL charges being laid, not just BS renenue generation tickets. Maybe a few well publicized dangerous driving or endangering public safety charges would wise up a few of the azzhats out there. Unfortunately, they know that if they have the right documents and their stickers of various design are in the correct spot, NOTHING is going to happen to them.

The whole "we are there promoting safety" is a big line of BS. Checking my registration and trail permit 3 or 4 times in one day does NOTHING to get the morons off the trail. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to claim its all about drinking riders? Set up a R.I.D.E. checkpoint and go to it BUT, not at the expence of actually PATROLLING the trails for menaces to the public safety.

I cannot remember the last time I actually saw OPP sleds actually driving on actual trails "promoting safe riding habits". No sir I cannot.

I have certainly seen lots of them parked at road crossings and trail intersections playing Guestappo ( papers, show me your papers) but why the h e l l are they not riding the trails nailing the idiots who come at them head on at stupid rates of speed in dangerous areas ?

Rant #2

Sled magazines and TV shows. They continually show us people riding like complete idiots on trails. Tail sliding corners while riding on the WRONG SIDE!!!, ripping the crap out of every corner exit, racing against each other. DOH!!!!!!!!!! who the h e l l do they think watches and reads that stuff?

Rant #3

Manufacturers promoting sleds to the "x generation" as personal race machines WITHOUT promoting the correct safety aspect of the sport.

Promo videos of riders breaking every law in the books and smiling while they do it.

Then we wonder why the trail system is going to h e l l in a hand basket.

OK, rant off...........for now.

By gosh we pretty much agree on all points. The only slight variance is that in our part of god's country I have seen an increased presence of the OPP on the trails and they were out riding not sitting stationary. The ones I saw that weren't were in a cruiser where the trail runs up the side of the road. They were checking for stolen permits.

As for the azzhats. I sent an email to a friend of mine yesterday to see if he was going out sledding this weekend. He told me his season is over and sent me a picture of his sled. One of those azzhats came around a blind corner like the proverbial bat out of hell crossed to the wrong side of the trail and tried to move back to his side but didn't succeed. My friends sled is in pitiful shape. The bumper is broken, the belly pan and the cowling are broken, the left ski and suspension are scrap and the windshield is broken. Fortunatley my friend wears a TEK vest. He had one ski catch in a crack on the ice once and spin him around launching him from the sled. Thanks to the vest he is still in one piece. The azzhat seems to think it was my friends fault. He should have seen the azzhat coming or heard him and stopped until he cleared the bend in the trail.

I just heard the other day that a couple OPP's on sleds chased down someone on there sled. Ran through a couple towns before they finely caught them. Don't know what started it all but that's the first time I've heard of a police chase on the trail. :coffeenose:

That is just plain dangerous and stupid of the OPP to initiate a chase on a snowmobile. They had (I assume) no audible warning systems, and could have seriously jeopardized the safety of other sledders! Would it not be better to radio to have a cruiser try to head off the other sledder instead of "chasing him/ her"? If they were going through towns then it would have made sense to try to intercept rather than chase! The OPP should know better. There is a huge liability (there is that word again), when operating an emergency vehicle..never mind a sled used in a chase. Come on.

After reading a few of these comments I got a little p'ed off. Everybody keep says "kids" "younger riders" "snowcross wannabe sleds". You are saying that everybody who has a sled with the "X" package, or has a low windshield and hand guards is a throttle jockey? And are wrecking the trails? And even worse that they are all young? I am 18, i drive a sled that looks like a race sled and so do my buddies. But it has nothing to do with the way we ride on the trails. 90% of the time i ride with my dad and stepmom and even when I am not, my riding style does not change. Ya when we are riding on our private fields we like to jump and play around but we respect the trails and other riders 100%.

Just really bothers me that you are catagorizing all these riders as kids. I see many 40+ riders on these types of sleds aswell, not all of them ride like idiots but some do. Just don't put labels on the younger riders and the people who aren't riding 2-ups. I see many a-holes on 2 ups who think they are on a race track aswell.

I do completely agree that this garbage needs to stop on the trails. It is pathetic to leave at 7am for a ride on a gfreshly groomed trail, come back the same trail around lunch and it is like the Barrie snow

X track, burms, bumps everywhere.

After reading a few of these comments I got a little p'ed off. Everybody keep says "kids" "younger riders" "snowcross wannabe sleds". You are saying that everybody who has a sled with the "X" package, or has a low windshield and hand guards is a throttle jockey? And are wrecking the trails? And even worse that they are all young? I am 18, i drive a sled that looks like a race sled and so do my buddies. But it has nothing to do with the way we ride on the trails. 90% of the time i ride with my dad and stepmom and even when I am not, my riding style does not change. Ya when we are riding on our private fields we like to jump and play around but we respect the trails and other riders 100%.

Just really bothers me that you are catagorizing all these riders as kids. I see many 40+ riders on these types of sleds aswell, not all of them ride like idiots but some do. Just don't put labels on the younger riders and the people who aren't riding 2-ups. I see many a-holes on 2 ups who think they are on a race track aswell.

I do completely agree that this garbage needs to stop on the trails. It is pathetic to leave at 7am for a ride on a gfreshly groomed trail, come back the same trail around lunch and it is like the Barrie snow

Good for you! Glad to see a responsible young rider. I agree with you. Don't paint all the younger riders with the same stick. There are just as many older riders who are like that too. We all need to ride accordingly. Ride aggressive when you can and you know traffic is light and conditions warrant, but ride with a little less enthusiasm when traffic and conditions dictate too.

Thank you, just want to make sure that at least my group of 5 friends are not going to get the one finger salute at an intersection or on a trail just because we are young and ride "wannabe" sleds. Although we do use them to their full capabilities on our private tracks/ fields.

Happy riding!

I saw both ends of this spectrum at the horseshoe lake radar run this past weekend. One guy was a 40+ "adult" who thought is was prudent to show everyone how fast his sled (Mach Zeeeee) went by wheelieing around the pit area and doing "drag launches" toward the guys waiting in line. In one instance/launch the sled actually jerked one of his hands off the bars (brake hand) and he squeezed the throttle (in an effort to keep himself on the sled) which jerked his helmet half way off his head...it was a sight lol. Now, there were a bunch of us waiting to run who all gave the guy the "WTF???" arm jesture...all to recieve the "stink eye" in return. Like what was OUR problem...he clearly meant to do that lol. There was also a younger guy ripping around the pits on an old zr...and there were more then one occasion where I thought the Mach Zeeee guy was going to get into him (meeting from different directions...converging at the lineup for the radar. The difference between them was outlook/attitude. If someone told the kid to go rip it up on the lake he would have gladly done so...the Mach Zeeee guy would have socked you in the eye. I'd deal with the younger guys anyday before old drunken baffoons.....

I saw both ends of this spectrum at the horseshoe lake radar run this past weekend. One guy was a 40+ "adult" who thought is was prudent to show everyone how fast his sled (Mach Zeeeee) went by wheelieing around the pit area and doing "drag launches" toward the guys waiting in line. In one instance/launch the sled actually jerked one of his hands off the bars (brake hand) and he squeezed the throttle (in an effort to keep himself on the sled) which jerked his helmet half way off his head...it was a sight lol. Now, there were a bunch of us waiting to run who all gave the guy the "WTF???" arm jesture...all to recieve the "stink eye" in return. Like what was OUR problem...he clearly meant to do that lol. There was also a younger guy ripping around the pits on an old zr...and there were more then one occasion where I thought the Mach Zeeee guy was going to get into him (meeting from different directions...converging at the lineup for the radar. The difference between them was outlook/attitude. If someone told the kid to go rip it up on the lake he would have gladly done so...the Mach Zeeee guy would have socked you in the eye. I'd deal with the younger guys anyday before old drunken baffoons.....

The drunk on the mach got the boot and his numbers and name given to the OPP

Time to wade in on this- coming back from Sundridge yesterday after a pretty good ride to Port Loring, we were coming around a bend and as usual I peek around the corner and what do I see - a moron on an older XC playing snowcross guy. This moron is totally out of control on my side and aimed right at my headlights. I'm pushed off the trail, moron guy almost rolls and dumps the sled on the rider behind me. Moron's buddies - there were 4 of them - sees whats happening and slows down. I give them the WTF look and the first buddy shrugs.

Unfortunately I'm a little shaken and don't get his numbers but I do know what he was wearing, what his sled looks like and even the colour of his eyes he was that close.

On the way back to Mag we were the only sleds on the trail and didn't meet anyone else, you could see where these morons blew most of the corners, tore up what little snow there was on the trail, leaving ruts and mogul starters everywhere.

These guys we don't need but what can be done about it? Enforcement doesn't seem to be working maybe its time we apply a little more peer pressure on the throttle jockeys and wannabe X crossers.

Sleddin' isn't about how big it is, the idjits have to learn to bring their brain along and not leave at home on the shelf. Snowmobiling can be and is an enjoyable sport and pass time for all.

Slow down there "son". I don't recall saying Kids or younger riders. I said "azzhats" and "Wannabe's". If the shoe fits, face the facts. If the shoe doesn't fit, then why be defensive?

Stupid knows no age limits. Period.

Where age does come into the picture is exactly what I stated. Marketing "race type sleds" is aimed squarely at the younger generation of riders.

Showing those sleds being ridden in unsafe fashions does NOT promote safe riding. It does exactly the opposite. We all know that younger people emmulate what they see. If that was untrue, I dare you to explain the idiotic look of pants hanging off your azz with the zipper between you knees and sideways ball caps with flat bills. :)

It is a known fact that younger MALES think for the most part that they are indestructible. Its fact, us "old guys" have been there, done that. the difference is that 40 yrs ago, our sleds were SLOW, our trails were exactly that, BUSH TRAILS and there was no possible way to ride them at the speeds they are ridden now. A head on collision in 1972 would have meant a little chipped paint, maybe a dented bumper and two guys apologizing to each other, not SEVERE INJURY OR DEATH!

If you are 18, then highschool math should still be fresh in you brain.

Two snowmobiles weighing 500 lbs travelling towards each other, one at 30 mph, the other at 60 mph meet head on on a trail. What is the combined force of impact?

Not sure, go drive your sled into a parked car at 90 mph and see what happens.

DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is a pretty good bet.

Age and maturity do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Thanks for being my math teacher, but trust me I fully understand the consequences of driving like an idiot, which is why after putting over 15,000 miles on my snowmobiling career I have yet to do any serious damage to my sleds or myself. The low pant sideways wearing hat kids you are referring to, well I would say 99% of that group of kids don't even know what a snowmobile is. Those are the stereotypical teenagers you see hanging out infront of a mall not doing anything with their lives.

I will agree that not all kids or teenagers are part of these snocross Wannabes on the trails..There is a group of young riders where I have a camp and they are very respectfull towards people fishing, other sledders etc.They were taught well and it's nice to see.. My son is 11 have been teaching him the RESPECTFULL way of riding, lower your speed to a crawl when ever you approach people walking, fishing, go slow on roads.. If you are in the back of the lake with noone around then give a bit of gas but becarefull and have fun..Next year he will be able to drive on the trails, alot of teaching to do there....If I see him break any of the rules I have taught him his sled is gone !!!!

Thanks for being my math teacher, but trust me I fully understand the consequences of driving like an idiot, which is why after putting over 15,000 miles on my snowmobiling career I have yet to do any serious damage to my sleds or myself. The low pant sideways wearing hat kids you are referring to, well I would say 99% of that group of kids don't even know what a snowmobile is. Those are the stereotypical teenagers you see hanging out infront of a mall not doing anything with their lives.

might want to change your pic..lol....

might want to change your pic..lol....

Who amounst us does'nt enjoy airing out our sleds in a controlled circumstance ? I think that the issue is out of control wingnuts not folks enjoying some freedom !

Why change it? I said I use my sled to its full capacities on our private tracks and little fields. Thats why I bought this kind of machine.

As for on the trails though I ride completely different.

Why change it? I said I use my sled to its full capacities on our private tracks and little fields. Thats why I bought this kind of machine.

As for on the trails though I ride completely different.

hey...just playing around, relax......lol...

I was in the Muskoka area this weekend and chatted with lots of great guys.

What really concerned me also was the wannabes.

Two guys (40-50ish) I was chatting with gave us great info on the trails.

When they left I was surprised the way they drove, to the bar for as long as we could hear them. :crazy:

Age does not = safe riding.

"MY IQ" you sound like a great kid!! Keep up the good riding. :right_on:

I was in the Muskoka area this weekend and chatted with lots of great guys.

What really concerned me also was the wannabes.

Two guys (40-50ish) I was chatting with gave us great info on the trails.

When they left I was surprised the way they drove, to the bar for as long as we could hear them. :crazy:

Age does not = safe riding.

"MY IQ" you sound like a great kid!! Keep up the good riding. :right_on:

sno jets rule Bear Ont.....what year is that one in your pic?? I have a 1970 Star Jet 292

Archived