Idiots on the Trails

revrnd

From the Paudash Trailblazers website:

The past weekend proved to be a very fun weekend with the Paudash Annual Barbecue turning out to be a complete success again. Thank you to everyone that attended and enjoyed the day.

Unfortunately the weekend also proved to be a fatal one in other areas of the province with further snowmobile related fatalities reported over the weekend. This is a fact that disturbs us greatly and unfortunately we also saw an unusually high amount of aggressive riding occurring on our trail system. We had numerous reports from concerned riders that were ran off the trail by aggressive riders riding on the wrong side of the trail, at an excessive rate of speed. One of the complaints that came in this morning was from a local resident in Harcourt who’s kids and pets were almost hit by an aggressive rider that didn’t stay on the trail through town or stop at the stop signs at each road crossing. The second concern that was really disappointing to hear was about a young rider that had just completed his driver training course. On his first ride out he met one of these aggressive riders on a corner and was scared to death. Now he is afraid to ride and doesn’t want to go sledding again. Point is the trail system has been setup and is maintained for safe family snowmobiling. It is not a race course. If you’re one of those riders that is riding in such a fashion we would encourage you to contact the CSRA at www.snowcross.com. They have a place for you to race that won’t endanger the safety and well being of the families that are using the trail system on a weekly basis. Next weekend is family weekend and we’re getting the trails ready for families to use. The speed limit is 50 km/h and local police will be enforcing it this coming weekend.

It's too bad we have to endure this. Over the years I've met a lot of "riders" running nose to tail that think they're "Joe Snowcrosser" oblivious to the other sledders out there. Until the OFSC says something about this behaviour, I can't see anything changing.

Hopefully the youngster overcomes his fear of these hooligans/idgits & continues on a lifelong enjoyment of the sport. The nephew has been out riding a few times since getting his licence as well. He rides @ the back so hopefully the hooligans will have slowed down by the time they meet him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant even ride on our trail system here in Bracebridge on weekends because of all of the contestants from the Dakar Rally that have come here to race and totally boil the trails and go home and let the groomers spend the week fixing the trails , i really like the ones who stop in the middle of the trail hold it wide open and leave a huge bump for the next guy :headbang:

My wife and I wanted to go for a ride up to Pickeral Lake for lunch today but seen the mass confusion of sleds at the Canadian Tire gas bar and looked at each other and said lets stay home and watch the Olympics . There seems to be more of these Warriors around than ever

I've seen in years past where the snow is so bermed up, you'd think it was a MX track. It's hard to stay on the outside of the turn, so what do people do? Stay low & take the inside line (wrong) around the corner (shaking my head).

I don't think these wannabes stand a chance on the track aginst riders that follow the circuit.

My mom who is not a sledder asked me the other day ,Are the sledders supposed to stop a road crossings , because they either roll through or dont stop at all , and they ride down the sidewalks , I think we need to put signs at road crossings saying DONT STOP HERE and then they will stop :rotflmao:

well as long as the opp is out there checking paperwork, all should be safe. They are defiantly making a difference.

You're being sarcastic I hope? IMO, sitting in a cruiser @ a road crossing doesn't help 1 bit. On A Channel last Sunday they had a report about the OPP making their presence known after the 3 fatalities on the trails in the Huronia area. Guess where they were? Out on the ice near Penetang & Midland.

We did see the police on the Paudash trails last weekend.

the annoying part is that they are crappy car drivers too (bad habits ... speeding/failing to stop/aggressive) ... and seem to think that safety rules don't apply on the trails so they drive even worse there

You're being sarcastic I hope? IMO, sitting in a cruiser @ a road crossing doesn't help 1 bit. On A Channel last Sunday they had a report about the OPP making their presence known after the 3 fatalities on the trails in the Huronia area. Guess where they were? Out on the ice near Penetang & Midland.

Ya, I was being sarcastic, and if they are out of the cruiser they are shooting fish in a barrel.

Did you see that deal where the wrecker was winching the car off the river and the young sledder got clotheslined and lost his life?. Opp watched from the cruiser, they had put out flares though.

the annoying part is that they are crappy car drivers too (bad habits ... speeding/failing to stop/aggressive) ... and seem to think that safety rules don't apply on the trails so they drive even worse there

I've always thought the same thing.

Do you cut corners when you're on a highway? Oh I forgot, there's a yellow line in the middle to tell you which side is yours.

I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to this "riding" if you want to call it that. I can put on almost 3000 miles a season & don't have to drive dangerously to enjoy myself. I always say that I've had my own sleds longer (since '81) than some of these idgits have been alive.

I see people walk there dog on D-Trail in Bracebridge :crazy: they would be safer on the 407 , one day there is going to be a issue that is for sure , 1 beer + 1 retard = trouble

Ya, I was being sarcastic, and if they are out of the cruiser they are shooting fish in a barrel.

Did you see that deal where the wrecker was winching the car off the river and the young sledder got clotheslined and lost his life?. Opp watched from the cruiser, they had put out flares though.

where and when was this ?

OOOOpppps, I messed up, it wasn't opp, was state police. I was reading it on another board. They also changed the story in the link, when I first read it, a witness said the police where just sitting in the car. The chief said it was too dangerous to be near the ice.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20100210/NEWS05/100210016/1002/rss

OOOOpppps, I messed up, it wasn't opp, was state police. I was reading it on another board. They also changed the story in the link, when I first read it, a witness said the police where just sitting in the car. The chief said it was too dangerous to be near the ice.

passed many many idiots on our run this weekend around Owen Sound....counted over 50 guys or gals we passed that did not sign and just as many running stop signs at the road crossings....not to mention the dorks who are flying through the bush trails and cutting corners .....3 or 4 times I had to almost go into the bush to avoid them....and my favorite , the guys who pin it every chance they get ripping the crap out od every corner....Thanks all you dorks for wrecking it for everyone...Diceman

People not signalling doesn't bother me. If it's a case where they don't feel comfortable taking a hand of the bar due to their ability or the trail condition, that's better for the rest of us. If I'm on a corner or the trail is rough & narrow, I don't signal either.

On the other hand recently I saw someone give me the "last sled in line" signal when there was a sled right behind them.

People not signalling doesn't bother me. If it's a case where they don't feel comfortable taking a hand of the bar due to their ability or the trail condition, that's better for the rst of us. If I'm on a corner or the trail is rough & narrow, I don't signal either.

On the other hand recently I saw someone give me the "last sled in line" signal when there was a sled right behind them.

that is why we should not be relying on those hand signals

Just be aware there will always be a sled around the next bend on over the next hill

passed many many idiots on our run this weekend around Owen Sound....counted over 50 guys or gals we passed that did not sign and just as many running stop signs at the road crossings....not to mention the dorks who are flying through the bush trails and cutting corners .....3 or 4 times I had to almost go into the bush to avoid them....and my favorite , the guys who pin it every chance they get ripping the crap out od every corner....Thanks all you dorks for wrecking it for everyone...Diceman

well I always slow down when on coming traffic approaches so pretty easy to give a sign....or in the bush will just stop and let group go by....safer that way Diceman

I have seen everyone cut corners slow riders fast riders whoever, If anyone say's they have never done this they are liars. Pay close attention next time you ride and I bet you will realize that you cut the inside more than you think. Just like last weekend I was alomost taken out by someone with a touring sled with his kid in the front and someone on the 2 up seat can you imagine? Funny thing was he was going slow and good thing we were too, he wave his hands and it looked like he was saying sorry if you know you were doing it why did you? This happens a least a few times a year. It gets furstrating being in the front of the pack so sometimes I need a break cause I just get angry. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I try to respect others on the trail I don't want to be another statistic or make someone else one.

Our group are not throttle jockeys by any means but tend to ride a bit more aggresive from time to time as most riders do I usually am the leader so I control the speed of the whole group. We always use hand signals and slow right down when traffic is approaching and slow down in corners common courtesy. Not signling is probably my biggest pet peeve.

People not signalling doesn't bother me. If it's a case where they don't feel comfortable taking a hand of the bar due to their ability or the trail condition, that's better for the rest of us. If I'm on a corner or the trail is rough & narrow, I don't signal either.

Im sure it was because he did not have a mirror :unsure: or doesnt use them

I have seen everyone cut corners slow riders fast riders whoever, If anyone say's they have never done this they are liars. Pay close attention next time you ride and I bet you will realize that you cut the inside more than you think. Just like last weekend I was alomost taken out by someone with a touring sled with his kid in the front and someone on the 2 up seat can you imagine? Funny thing was he was going slow and good thing we were too, he wave his hands and it looked like he was saying sorry if you know you were doing it why did you? This happens a least a few times a year. It gets furstrating being in the front of the pack so sometimes I need a break cause I just get angry. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I try to respect others on the trail I don't want to be another statistic or make someone else one.

Our group are not throttle jockeys by any means but tend to ride a bit more aggresive from time to time as most riders do I usually am the leader so I control the speed of the whole group. We always use hand signals and slow right down when traffic is approaching and slow down in corners common courtesy. Not signling is probably my biggest pet peeve.

guess I am a liar....I will admit that if I am in a field or wide open area and I can 100% see way ahead of me I will cut it but never in the bush....as for riding a bit more aggressive isn't that the same as being just a little pregnant ....lol...Diceman

This situation is only going to get worse !! All the snowmobile manufactures are making faster,lighter sleds..What do you think someone that has a race replica 160hp sled that weighs 400lbs is going to do with it ???

This situation is only going to get worse !! All the snowmobile manufactures are making faster,lighter sleds..What do you think someone that has a race replica 160hp sled that weighs 400lbs is going to do with it ???

You are absolutely right, but everybody still has to be under control. And as 2fast4u states, everybody is bad for cutting to the inside of corners at times. I will come off the inside of the corner, if I can see no one is coming towards me, other than that I keep tight right. You are suppose to be under control......make sure you are.

- Chances are the A-Holes that do all of this type of riding probably don't read these forums.

- They're too busy drinking energy drinks and playing X-box!

- Chances are the A-Holes that do all of this type of riding probably don't read these forums.

- They're too busy drinking energy drinks and playing X-box!

If they ride a Cat, putting Monster Energy stickers on their sled.

You're assuming they have the ability to read. :crazy:

That was going to be part of my response, we have created the mentality of snow cross sleds and riders, nothing wrong with that but not on the trails, its unfortunate this fad is doing more harm than good.

This olde geiser and his touring sled will sit back now....

Archived