TRAIL REPORT "update" for GOWGANDA, ELK LAKE, & MATACHEWAN

Gowganda Lake Camp

Hi Everyone, :wavey:

Just wanted to wish you all a safe and Happy Holiday season and to let you know where are trails are at right now.

Like many clubs this year we received some financial help for upgrading , brushing our trail system. We have been very busy widening where we can and brushing the badly needed sections. To anyone that has riden on the Beauty Lake Road section between Elk Lake & Gowganda in the last few seasons while there was logging going on will be glad to know that the club has worked on a re-route to keep the trail off of the road. We are not 100 % complete yet but so far 20 km's of the 26 km trail is off of the road . We hope to have the rest completed soon. The new trail will parallel the road until approx. the 9km mark and then turns due west toward Gowganda, bringing you out at the base of the L136 and in to town. ( NO more crossing Stumpy Lake) .

If we get the snow they are predicting on the weekend the groomers will be out . As of now Trails are packed and awaiting more snow.

Will keep you posted ;)

Have a great holiday

Ron

Thanks to everyone that supported the Elk Lake Trail Blazers by purchasing your permit from us.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news on the re-route Ron , keep us posted on the trail conditions and book me a room for the opening ,Merry Christmas to you Giselle and the Boys , My buddy Lee says Hi from the St Lawrence Seaway

MM

Hi Ron. Good to see your report, sounds promissing. Hope we can get back up this year. Have a great holiday season. By the way, I"ve now got 3km on my new sled, almost broke in!

Shawn.

Hi Ron, Good news on the re-route and trail improvements. Beauty Lake Road was bad last year.... What's the re-route like? I assume it is better now that the trail if off stumpy lake and that tough to groom land section between Stumpy & Gowganda Lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Trail Update Jan. 6

We have had the groomers out on most of the trails at least once so far and the signing is going on this week. We are hoping to have trails starting to open next week as "limited" if all goes well.

The C106A from matach toward Shining tree (C trail) is going to have a re-route. The bridge on the existing trail has been removed and will not be back in until the end of Feb. Once the Re-route is 100% I will let you know .

Pray for snow ;)

Ron

Sounds like you have be busy with the new re-Routes , how did things turn out with the one from Beauty to gowganda ? thanks for the updates , see you soon ,

MM

Sounds like you have be busy with the new re-Routes , how did things turn out with the one from Beauty to gowganda ? thanks for the updates , see you soon ,

MM

Hi MM

The re-route is going to be a work in progress throughout the winter , but most is already finished. I groomed from gowganda through to Longpoint and most of the way back yesterday and today. Unfortunatly my tractor broke a few hours ago. The same shaft as last year. I think they used too hard of shaft material to repair it because it snapped for no reason today on a nice smooth logging road. I took some pictures of different parts of the re-route. I will see if I can remember how to put them on here. :( A drag about the tractor but it shouldn't be down for long.

Ron

Nice pics Ron , any idea when you will list your area as limited or open , to me your trails look ready to roll :D

MM

Nice pics Ron , any idea when you will list your area as limited or open , to me your trails look ready to roll :D

MM

Should be by the end of the upcoming week. Still some signing to do. There are a few rough sections still but not too bad . Another 12 inch's ( of snow) would help .

Trail Update Jan 16 2010

A107C from Gowganda to Elk Lake - Limited

A107c from Gowganda toward Shining Tree - Limited

Lake not staked yet ( Ice good , supposed to be staked this weekend)

"A" Trail from Elk Lake toward Earlton/Liskeard - Limited

"A" Trail from Elk Lake toward Englehart River/Kirkland - Limited

Note: The Ice is not staked in Elk Lake ( Waiting until weather turns cold again) Route through town'

C106A from "A" Trail to Matachewan - Limited

C106A from Matachewan toward Shining tree/Timmins - Closed ( Working on Re-route)

L136 - Closed

Low snow conditions use extra caution - + 1 celcius today

Ron :wavey:

Thanks for the update Ron. We might be going through your neck of the woods this coming weekend, you mentioned we would have to go through elk lake, is it hard to navigate where to go? Plus is the lake in gowganda staked now? also is that plowed sandy lake road a problem going from sudbury to gowganda? Thanks alot for any info. Look forward to coming up.

Thanks for the update Ron. We might be going through your neck of the woods this coming weekend, you mentioned we would have to go through elk lake, is it hard to navigate where to go? Plus is the lake in gowganda staked now? also is that plowed sandy lake road a problem going from sudbury to gowganda? Thanks alot for any info. Look forward to coming up.

Hey Flash

It is pretty easy to make it through Elk Lake ( small town) , could use a little more snow on the roads. If the lake is not staked by the weekend I will make sure town is marked well. I will have to get you an update on the Sandy lake road before I say for sure , but there were some sledders around last week and the sandy was in good shape. If you can push the trip off for one week looks like snow coming this weekend which will make conditions much better.

Ron

I will get you updates asap.

your right, we really should be pushing it back some but........this......uncontrollable......feeling keeps gettin the best of me. Thanks for the update Ron, much appreciated.

Trail Update Jan 23

trail conditions pretty much the same as last update

- Gowganda Lake is now staked !

- Still using by-pass through Elk Lake (ice not staked) waiting for more cold weather.

- Tractor is fixed , groomed home to Gowganda from Longpoint last night

- Depending on the weather , hoping to have the re-route C106a from Matach toward Shining tree open early next week.

I hope they are wrong about the freezing rain sunday. :|

Happy Sleddin

Ron

Trail Update Jan 23

- Still using by-pass through Elk Lake (ice not staked) waiting for more cold weather.

- Depending on the weather , hoping to have the re-route C106a from Matach toward Shining tree open early next week.

Happy Sleddin

Any sleds coming through yet Ron ?

Trail Update Jan 23

Happy Sleddin

Any sleds coming through yet Ron ?

Hey MM

Yes there have been a few. There were 5 or 6 pass me last night just as I was getting close to Gowganda in the Groomer. They fueled up on there way to shining tree. First review of the new trail by passing Stumpy lake and most of Beauty lake road was a thumbs up... Still need more snow to make the hilly section nicer.

Ron

Nice pics,the trail looks great,have to ride this season.Thanks for your hard work.

Trail Report Jan.31 2010

A few changes

"A" trail from Elk lake to Englehart river groomed - limited

"A" trail from Elk lake to Earlton/liskeard groomed - limited

River in elk lake will be staked soon , finally getting cold weather

C106a from A trail to Matach groomed - limited

C106a from Matach to Campbell lake - Closed - Groomer did re-route , just have to sign ( opening soon)

A107C from Elk Lake to Gowganda - Limited - Still working on improvements to re-route

A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree- limited

L136 :right_on: - Closed - working on this week- opening soon

Will be spending alot of time on trails this coming week - will post new pictures

Ron

That is great news Ron , Thanks for your hard work , cant wait to try the new re-routes , the trails here are in great shape and still snowing but there just not the same as your TATA trails , cant wait to see your pics

MM

That is great news Ron , Thanks for your hard work , cant wait to try the new re-routes , the trails here are in great shape and still snowing but there just not the same as your TATA trails , cant wait to see your pics

MM

Thanks MM

I will definatly post pics as we go. We are down in T.O right now. The boys and I had some time to kill today plus pick up a few things so we did a tour . We left this morning , and hit Barrie,Stayner,Wasaga,Collingwood,Angus,Alliston,Cookstown and probably a few more.

Couldn't believe the difference in snow between Collingwood and Alliston. Brought back memories , used to sled around Wasaga/collingwood. Different trails but always a good time. Looked like alot of sledding action today.

Will be back early tomorrow, so should see updates daily starting tomorrow / tues.

Ron :right_on:

Archived