TRAIL REPORT "update" for GOWGANDA, ELK LAKE, & MATACHEWAN

Gowganda Lake Camp

TRAIL UPDATE - FEB. 04 2010

A" trail through Elk Lake - Open (river is staked)

C106A from "A" trail to matach - Open

C106A from Matachewan to Shining tree connection - Closed ( opening soon ) Re-route already groomed ,finishing signage

A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree - Open - ( low snow condititions ) some brush sticking up in sections

A107C from Elk Lake to Gowganda - Limited - Rough section for approx. 2 km

L136 - Closed ( Opening Soon)

It's coming , trails are shaping up pretty good for the snow. :headbang: Actually snowing pretty good right now - keep it coming

Will post a few pics tonight.

Ron

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure looks nice!

Ron

Those trails look great , I hope to get up in 2 weeks :mrgreen:

Looking good Ron, but it sure looks like you could use more snow. Just like the rest of the province.

Sure looks nice!

wow. Looks awesome Ron!!

Its about time. What have you been doing up there? How hard can it be to get it to snow? Maybe I can get up there and tear up them trails again on that Tundra. Giver, Maybe we can do some more drag racing, hope all is well, just got back from up, had a beer at pine stump, thinking of old times.

Here are a few pictures of how things are shaping up .. Sorry didn't get too many shots as much of the time was after dark ...

Looks good Ron. Thank you for all of your updates.

We're coming through in a couple of weeks after the ride for Kelly. How is the ride in from New Liskeard?

Here are a few pictures of how things are shaping up .. Sorry didn't get too many shots as much of the time was after dark ...

post-19905-126533805459.jpg

post-19905-126533806659.jpg

post-19905-126533809299.jpg

post-19905-126533810795.jpg

post-19905-126533815828.jpg

We're coming through in a couple of weeks after the ride for Kelly. How is the ride in from New Liskeard?

the ride in from liskeard is about the best trails you will ever ride. Liskeard has a very organized club and so does club echo ,[the traials before ours] the trail blazers. We have some sledders in now that have travelled most of these trails thi week and had great riding.

Stop in and say hi. Just follow the signs

Ron

the ride in from liskeard is about the best trails you will ever ride. Liskeard has a very organized club and so does club echo ,[the traials before ours] the trail blazers. We have some sledders in now that have travelled most of these trails thi week and had great riding.

Ron

Will do.

Ron

Glad to hear that things sound like they are shaping up. :)

Ron

Glad to hear that things sound like they are shaping up. :)

Hi 1 4

Spent the day cutting some of the brush that grows up through the trails between Elk lake and Gowganda today. There are a few sections that are a little rolly in the bush sections but I was really impressed how the trail is . Most is flat and double wide. The new section from Beauty lake road to Gowganda is sweet .

Everyone coming through is giving great reviews on the trails this week ...

Supposed to get snow starting sunday so lets hope..

Ron

Trail Update Feb. 11

A few changes coming tomorrow. This is how it will look

Top A trail through Elk lake - OPEN

A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree - OPEN

A107C from Gowgand to Elk Lake - will be changed to OPEN tommorrow

C106A from Top A to Matachewan - OPEN

C10cA from Matachewan to C Trail - opening tommorrow ( already groomed an signed )

L136 is groomed but not opening yet - some signing still to do.

Will take some more pics while out tomorrow.

Time to ride :right_on:

Ron

:woot: well it is finally snowing. Hope it keeps up like this all week.

Ron - a couple of us are heading up to your area later this week. Can you tell me what is the re-route betweem Matachewan and Campbell Lake? Is it due to the mine or what? I hope it's still snowing up there!!!

Ron - a couple of us are heading up to your area later this week. Can you tell me what is the re-route betweem Matachewan and Campbell Lake? Is it due to the mine or what? I hope it's still snowing up there!!!

Hello Scagburner

(that's a different name) lol

After tomorrow there should not be a re-route. The bridge is back in and we are signing the original trail. Keep an eye on the ofsc and here. You should see things change tomorrow or the next day. It was due to the bridge being pulled out . Didn't snow much today but coming down heavy right now..... Fingers crossed... We will be sending groomers out starting tomorrow night or wed. depending on snow.. Trails should be sweet for the weekend.

Ron

How much snow have you got so far? How much are they calling for?

Only a few inches up to today but snowing hard right now... Supposed to get 1-3 cm's per day every day this week.. Every little bit helps.. We will take what we get. Great base but need this extra to make trails better. :wavey:

Hello Scagburner

After tomorrow there should not be a re-route. The bridge is back in and we are signing the original trail. Keep an eye on the ofsc and here. You should see things change tomorrow or the next day. It was due to the bridge being pulled out . Didn't snow much today but coming down heavy right now..... Fingers crossed... We will be sending groomers out starting tomorrow night or wed. depending on snow.. Trails should be sweet for the weekend.

Ron

Thanks for the update!

I’m the president of the Scagburner’s Snowmobile club here in Central Pennsylvania – hence the name… The club was chartered in the early 70’s when runners were known as scags rather than carbides. You have to admit, it’s kinda catchy…

We should be arriving to Matachewan Saturday morning for what is our 11th annual trip. Unfortunately, our group has dwindled from 17 down to a handful over the years for various reasons but I’ll still be there. We have had several trips over the years when the snow was marginal but somehow always seem to get it in time to make great riding.

Will there be permits available in Matachewan?

Thanks,

John

Hello Scagburner

Ron

Thanks for the update!

I’m the president of the Scagburner’s Snowmobile club here in Central Pennsylvania – hence the name… The club was chartered in the early 70’s when runners were known as scags rather than carbides. You have to admit, it’s kinda catchy…

We should be arriving to Matachewan Saturday morning for what is our 11th annual trip. Unfortunately, our group has dwindled from 17 down to a handful over the years for various reasons but I’ll still be there. We have had several trips over the years when the snow was marginal but somehow always seem to get it in time to make great riding.

Thanks,

John

Hey Scagburner,

Where are you starting?

We'll be riding through Sunday also. Look for 6 sleds with NY registrations on the side.

Ride safe,

Hello Scagburner

Ron

Thanks for the update!

Thanks,

John

I assume you are looking for 7 day passes? If so how many and what dates. Currently there are season permits in matach but I would have to get 7 day ones there if that is what you need.

Let me know

Ron

Trail Report Feb. 17.

We did end up with approx. 10 cm of snow over the last couple of days so now we have a little to work with . Both groomers started last night and will be out every night up to the weekend.

A107C from Gowganda to shining tree - open - groomed last night

A107C from Gowganda to Elk lake - open - grooming tonight and tomorrow night.

Top A trail through Elk Lake - open - Half Groomed last night , returning tonight.

C106A - from A trail through Matachewan to Shining tree junction - open

grooming thursday night.

L136 - Still closed - Groomed and signed , waiting for more snow to cover

small rocky section.

Will post some pictures tomorrow of trails.

Ron

Archived