THE CEDAR VILLAGE - PICKEREL RIVER MARINA

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Does anyone have experience with the lodging and food at The Cedar Village. It's located right at the Pickerel River bridge. We're looking at using it for a start /finish spot for a 7 day ride. Want to make sure the motel rooms and restaurant are decent for 2 nights of stay. Any info. would be appreciated.

I posted a review last year after visiting. We only stopped for lunch but the food was great and the owner was very welcoming. He is also a volunteer with the local club.

I bumped the original topic (Pickerel River)

Might be wise to check on gas times/availability...trying to recall exactly, but gas was only open at certain times and they ran out on occasion.

Might want to look ahead at other stops if heading north etc. as there have been a lot of changes/closures due to highway expansion in the area and tourism downturn. Revrnd's lists are a good place to start.

We'll be full when we get them to Cedar Village on the trailer. Intend to go across to Killarney and do the ice to Spanish. The 4 strokes shouldn't need gas till we get there.

The food is amazing. Portions are very generous. Priced accordingly and reasonable by most standards.

I was stopping in there for meals whenever possible this summer to try to support them.

My last trip mid October, the restaurant was closed as a restaurant for the general public. I think guests staying there could still eat there.

They are struggling to make ends meet with so few people actually stopping in there.

Unfortunately, unless you know they're there, the majority drive right by. That's too bad.

Once the highway gets widened and bypasses them all together, I doubt they'll survive.

That'll be our loss. The trail goes right across their property beside the restaurant.

The huge Pickerel River Bridge is based on their property.

They've done so much for the local club and sledders in general.

Jeff

The food is amazing. Portions are very generous. Priced accordingly and reasonable by most standards.

I was stopping in there for meals whenever possible this summer to try to support them.

My last trip mid October, the restaurant was closed as a restaurant for the general public. I think guests staying there could still eat there.

They are struggling to make ends meet with so few people actually stopping in there.

Unfortunately, unless you know they're there, the majority drive right by. That's too bad.

Once the highway gets widened and bypasses them all together, I doubt they'll survive.

That'll be our loss. The trail goes right across their property beside the restaurant.

The huge Pickerel River Bridge is based on their property.

They've done so much for the local club and sledders in general.

Jeff

We'll have to find a way to get there this winter.

Thanks for info.

• 2 weeks later...

But the MTO will probably allow a Tims/Petrocan to be built on the east side of the highway.

As someone posted on the other thread, so much for progress.

I know the businesses over in the Echo Bay area on Hwy. 17 were screaming last year after a bypass was built. The MTO wouldn't allow signs to be erected telling travellers about their services. The MTO says those kind of signs are prohibited on 4 lane highways.

If Cedar Village isn't going to be open this winter, I need to find another spot in that area to start and finish a 7 day ride from. Someplace with rooms & food for first + last night & a place to leave the truck/ trailer. If anybody out there knows of a decent spot, any information would be appreciated.

If Cedar Village isn't going to be open this winter, I need to find another spot in that area to start and finish a 7 day ride from. Someplace with rooms & food for first + last night & a place to leave the truck/ trailer. If anybody out there knows of a decent spot, any information would be appreciated.

20mins up the road is Alban......Owls Nest is there.

45-1hr up the is the Sportsman Lodge

both are good spots to leave from and they have no problems with leaving your trailer's etc there.

Cedar Village has an ad in this year's NNTA map. You should contact them directly for info about their plans for this season.

Thanks for the info. Tried calling Cedar Village a couple of times today but no answer. I'm going to try a few more times before booking elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. Tried calling Cedar Village a couple of times today but no answer. I'm going to try a few more times before booking elsewhere.

Good idea, I like the idea of giving them a chance. It's a shoulder season and they may be taking a little break right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got ahold of a lady on the phone at Cedar Village today. She said they haven't decided if they are going to be open this winter. They are waiting to see if the snowmobile clubs open the trails first. she didn't make me feel too optimistic about staying there.

Finally got ahold of a lady on the phone at Cedar Village today. She said they haven't decided if they are going to be open this winter. They are waiting to see if the snowmobile clubs open the trails first. she didn't make me feel too optimistic about staying there.

i can tell you for sure that the trail C

will be open.

we have been working on the c trail for about 4 weeks now, a new trail is being built on the north side of the pickeral river bridge to get up the hill, the swamp below the pic. bridge is also being worked on and rerouted and corduoried.

we are also rerouting along side of the 607 hwy to get off dry pine bay.

lots of work going on and we can use as much help as we can get, because we are a very small club and need all the help we can get.

over the next couple of years with the four lane hwy. we have to move lots of km of trail, but we will do our best to get it done, so when you buy your permit, think of the smaller clubs that need your help.

if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

as for places to stay.

french river inn, has food and rooms, located next to the french river bridge, lots of parking and a supporter of the club.

owles nest lodge, food gas and lots of parking, also a great supporter of the clubs, just north of alban off C trail

the beausejour, food lodging and gas also located just east of alban and just off c trail with parking.

hope this helps

as for cedar village, the last time i talked to steve he was not sure if he was going to stay open this winter, best to call ahead this winter, also if coming from the south, make sure you get fuel at the key river, last fuel stop if heading for killarney. petro on 69 may be closed by then.

I know the businesses over in the Echo Bay area on Hwy. 17 were screaming last year after a bypass was built. The MTO wouldn't allow signs to be erected telling travellers about their services. The MTO says those kind of signs are prohibited on 4 lane highways.

They couldn't find an old transport truck 55 foot trailer to park in vacant land next to the highway with a big sign painted on it? Seems to work in other locales..... :lol:

Archived