Catching the ACR Train in the Sault

revrnd

Recently I saw a news item in a railfan magazine (which I can't locate) about changes to catching the train in the Sault. Apparently instead of going to the depot on the waterfront, passengers board the train in Steelton north of the Algoma Steel Mill.

I'm not really familiar w/ that part of the Sault, but what is it like there for access, parking & vehicle security?

The opinion of people concerned w/ passenger service in the Algoma Region is that the CNR is trying to make passenger train usage inconvenient resulting in lessened use, therefore giving them a reason to discontinue the trains.

Can anyone from the Sault area elaborate? I don't know how the change will affect folks doing the Tracks to Trails excursion to go sledding.

I an not too sure how well you know the Soo, but the loading place is right by the under pass ( the Soo has only two underpasses one is leaving town the other by Algoma Steel) .. It's pretty much on the corner of Carmin's way and Wellinton street west. Acess isn't bad it's a little confusung when you first pull off Carmins way. Security is better there than at the water front. It's a Industrail place not alot of Riff Raff..Lots of parking space ..

If you are coming in from the North highway follow highway to Second Line turn RIGHT proceed west for approx. 3kms you will go down a hill. At the bottom of the hill there is a set of lights TURN LEFT on to Carmins Way, follow Carmins way for approx. 2 kms. You will arive at a set of lights, STRAIGHT THREW and it's the first drivway, 50 yards from the lights pull in and stay slighly to your left.

East highway once in city limits heading southwest untill you hit the turnoff to Black Dirt road or to take you to highway 17 north. follow signs . Once you are on Second line head west . Approx 7 kms and follow directions from north highway..Let me know if that helps I can email you directions from google earth to make it a little more clear for you..

A few questions as I try to get my bearings

If you are coming in from the North highway follow highway to Second Line turn RIGHT proceed west for approx. 3kms you will go down a hill. Bawating Hill? At the bottom of the hill there is a set of lights TURN LEFT on to Carmins Way (is that what was People's Road? or John Street?, follow Carmins way for approx. 2 kms. You will arive at a set of lights, STRAIGHT THREW and it's the first drivway, 50 yards from the lights pull in and stay slighly to your left. Is that near where the old Dominion Bridge plant was on Conmee or the old Lyon's Building Supplies?

I knew the whole area around the underpass was being changed but I haven't been back for a while.

Thanks

Yes, it is the Bawating Hill that you go down. The turn off at the bottom of the hill is now actually Carmen's way, was orignally John st. but John st. exits onto Carmen's way now. Peoples road is another block past this intersection. Carmen's way travels between the old Dominion Bridge and the railway tracks, that are in fact right behind Lyons Timbermart. The old underpass is still there and the driveway for the loading area is just past the underpass heading south west. Hope this helps ...

I believe that CN is not really trying to make train travel inconvenient. But they are showing how bad things are( ha ha ha ) so that it can get people together to help get free monies from the government. It's working pretty good right now, Sault tourism and a couple other groups have rallied the provincial government for funding. Sayiing that we can't loose the train it would be devasting and CN has no more money to operate. They have just aquired a newer engine and newer cars to there fleet..You know same BS as GM...

Kyzer, if you can keep us updated it would be great. I think 1 of the groups that are keeping up the pressure is CPAT. I guess anyone that has an interest in keeping the service going is involved.

We had a great trip in '06 up to Hearst by train then rode back to the Sault.

We took the 'Bud' car from Sudbury north, loaded with canoes, a few summers ago.

The conductor mentioned that they were trying to close these 'recreational use' trains. Only reason they couldn't close the Bud car was that folks have cottages along the route. Services (ie frequency) were being cut back, however.

Therefore - the trick to keeping the Snow Train going is for more 'camps'* to use the service.

Shame if either of these routes were closed.

There are a few things that are killing the train. Of course there is the price to run and maintain the business. The loggers are moving deeper into the forests to find there wood and making roads to places that were only accessible by train. Seems like every second person has a ATV now, where 10 years ago they weren't as popular. ATV makes traveling back roads and even brushing trails to your camp alot easier now. And now a days snowmobiles are more reliable, fuel efficient and can pull just about anything you need to camp.

The price of taking the train might not seem like much to someone that uses it once or twice a year, but to the camper using it every weekend or every second weekend it's gets very expensive. So they will look for another ( cheaper ) way to camp. I used the train when I was young and my dad was building are camp. Heck most of the camp was hauled up by train. The nearest truck accessible road was 6 miles away. Now you can drive to the door...

I know they are working on ways to build up there business, last year my sons class took the train from the Soo to Searchmont Ski hill for a day of sking. All the kids loved the train ( made them a little motion sick ) LOL but they loved it..

Yes, it is the Bawating Hill that you go down. The turn off at the bottom of the hill is now actually Carmen's way, was orignally John st. but John st. exits onto Carmen's way now. Peoples road is another block past this intersection. Carmen's way travels between the old Dominion Bridge and the railway tracks, that are in fact right behind Lyons Timbermart. The old underpass is still there and the driveway for the loading area is just past the underpass heading south west. Hope this helps ...

I believe that CN is not really trying to make train travel inconvenient. But they are showing how bad things are( ha ha ha ) so that it can get people together to help get free monies from the government. It's working pretty good right now, Sault tourism and a couple other groups have rallied the provincial government for funding. Sayiing that we can't loose the train it would be devasting and CN has no more money to operate. They have just aquired a newer engine and newer cars to there fleet..You know same BS as GM...

Thanks. I thought the description sounded familiar.

so where do you park the trucks and trailers for the snowtrain? easy access for sleds to the train? ski

This is a neat idea, first I've heard of it.

What they SHOULD do is have it so you can park somewhere that you can ride back to... so you board the train, go north, and ride back... no problems getting back to your trailers. I've always wondered how people do it when they get back "home"... catch a cab? haha

One great location would be Odena, up on Sixth line. It is a log yard though, not owned by the ACR, so there would be some technicalities there.

Either that or they can make a trail system that runs downtown...that would be the best solution...that will be the day though.

like your thinking CJ!

be nice if you could just catch it in searchmont. then you can ride to the train without having to ride downtown, or catch a cab bus, ect.. to get to your trailer. ski

You know...Searchmont couuuuld be doable. The passenger train will stop anywhere along the line, and there is still somewhat of a station in Searchmont. They've used it for school trips, ski trips, and other events just for passengers coming from the Soo. I'm sure if someone were to prearrange it, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Only downside is that takes a good chunk of trails out of the equation, mind you, when you've just spent the past 2-3 days riding south from Hearst, I don't think it would be that much of a biggie haha.

Or on second thought, you could park somewhere in town accessable by snowmobile (staging area, trading post, etc.)...THEN ride to Searchmont, board the train, and ride all the way back.

Now we're cooking!!! hah.

You know...Searchmont couuuuld be doable. The passenger train will stop anywhere along the line, and there is still somewhat of a station in Searchmont. They've used it for school trips, ski trips, and other events just for passengers coming from the Soo. I'm sure if someone were to prearrange it, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Only downside is that takes a good chunk of trails out of the equation, mind you, when you've just spent the past 2-3 days riding south from Hearst, I don't think it would be that much of a biggie haha.

Or on second thought, you could park somewhere in town accessable by snowmobile (staging area, trading post, etc.)...THEN ride to Searchmont, board the train, and ride all the way back.

Now we're cooking!!! hah.

Or do it the other way around. Park and ride north. Get all your riding done and take the train south to the tow vehicles. Arrive rested and ready to drive.

Or do it the other way around. Park and ride north. Get all your riding done and take the train south to the tow vehicles. Arrive rested and ready to drive.

Assuming you haven't spent the day in the Bar Car :cheers::cheers:

Assuming you haven't spent the day in the Bar Car :cheers::cheers:

Then you'd have to drive - heck, if you can't walk....................

really you dont miss much trail, trailering to searchmont. it is a 40 mile trail ride to the soo's downtown district. with ALOT of roads and parking lots to cross. (read, hard on the sleds). you really dont start "riding" till you get out of town. but the staging area idea could be doable. another option might be to start at echo bay (have done that before) trail ride to searchmont, and get on there.

i wonder if you can get on the train in searchmont with a sled and say, train to hawk or dubreuilville (franz), without the train peeps getting up in arms???

maybe we will have to contact them and post the answers? ski

We stayed @ the Ambassador on 17 when we took the train in '06. Very little if any road running from Heyden down to the motel. It's on the west side of 17, so you don't have to cross the 4 or 5 lanes.

really you dont miss much trail, trailering to searchmont. it is a 40 mile trail ride to the soo's downtown district. with ALOT of roads and parking lots to cross. (read, hard on the sleds). you really dont start "riding" till you get out of town. but the staging area idea could be doable. another option might be to start at echo bay (have done that before) trail ride to searchmont, and get on there.

i wonder if you can get on the train in searchmont with a sled and say, train to hawk or dubreuilville (franz), without the train peeps getting up in arms???

maybe we will have to contact them and post the answers? ski

This is why we always stage at the truck stop in Heyden. Right on the trail. Gas if you need it, and not to far out of the Sault.

No way of riding downtown without it being illegal. trail aren't even close. There ia alot of things happening north part of town. There are more restraunts and hotels going up. And they will be accessible by snowmobile.. The Water Tower Inn is not a bad place to leave from the trail, gas, food, Timmies, and booze is right there. Lots of options all depends on what suits your needs. The groom trail is a 5 min ride from my back yard, so that is my starting point.

No way of riding downtown without it being illegal. trail aren't even close.

True enough.

I'd like to see a legal trail system implemented, however.

I believe it could be done...perhaps from the groomed trail to third line (the gulley, where they are extending it), then through fort creek, follow beside carmens way.... then not sure, but youre damn near there by now anyways.

With the right people and the right effort it could be done...but I doubt that will ever happen. Not to mention I imagine residents would complain... there would be many obstacles to overcome.

It would add so much business to the downtown though, and add a nice urban section of trail.

Sault Michigan has done a very nice job with their downtown trail, they even give a whole lane of the road to the trail in parts.

No way of riding downtown without it being illegal. trail aren't even close. There ia alot of things happening north part of town. There are more restraunts and hotels going up. And they will be accessible by snowmobile.. The Water Tower Inn is not a bad place to leave from the trail, gas, food, Timmies, and booze is right there. Lots of options all depends on what suits your needs. The groom trail is a 5 min ride from my back yard, so that is my starting point.

First time in Sault Ste. Marie last year.

A 'little' tricky getting in from the north. Joined 40 sledders from Hamilton 2 km north of town, and basically rode to the Water Tower Inn on side of road. Fortunately, snowed all day.

Definitely a 'big city' feel to it.

Ya coming in from the North goes a bit out of the way but you shouldn't have to ride the sides of any streets if you are just going to the Water Tower Inn. The groom trail ends right there. They tried the groomed trail throught Fort Creek but it's a Conservation Area ( no motorized vechicles ) so that was thrown out the window, don't really blame them. There are other ways to do it but snowmobiles don't have a great reputation so it's hard to get anything accomplished ...I totally agree Soo Michigan has done a great job with it's trails downtown, I wish the same would happen here..

Archived