death on the D trail saturday

brucebob

we were on the D trail near southriver saturday evening.

then we came across the fire and rescue trucks.

they told us there was a fatal about 5 minutes down the trail.

that the trail was still open and a police unit was at the site.

this is link to the info.

Another tragedy! Condolences to the family and friends.

Very sad. Condolences to the family. :(

I just talked to my buddy from orangeville this morning. they coached hockey together. my buddy said that the guy hit a tree. :(

my condolence to the family.

Since condolenaces to the friends and family

Ya know, I'm a single father with 3 kids (11,14,17). All of us are avid snowmobilers and my kids have been riding since they were 5 (Bravo on the lake). I just picked up a 300 Freestyle for my 11 yr. old as he will be old enough to get his license soon. The older ones were taught to ride with me in back and my Ex in front to control speed, protect them and offer advice at each stop. This year, I've been riding up front with the two older ones behind me (I'm single now) and my youngest on the back of mine on a 1+1. Now I'm not going to rail anyone for speeding (beyond 50Km/hr.) 'cuz admittedly, I do it myself when I'm not with the kids as do most that I see on the trails. I've had the usual number of close calls this year, some my fault, some not...The thrill is what drives my love of snowmobiling but the risk factor has me re-thinking letting my kids ride. Just thinking out loud...My condolences to the family. I don't know how families survive such a loss...

Ditto to what you said KennyBoy. My son called last night, he is coming home from out west on Saturday and wanted to know what the conditions are like up at the cottage cause he really wants to get a ride on his new sled. All I could say is Please, please be careful when your riding, conditions aren't great right now, trails are icy, ect, ect. This is a new sled to you and waaaay more powerful than the one you are used to riding! And he is 21!! lol... once a parent always a parent! Scarey how we have to worry about our lives and the lives of our children every time one of us gets on the sled! I can't tell you how many times I think to myself "why am I doing this". Of course once I am out on the sled and smiling I totally forget the question "why".

My deepest sympathy to the family who has experienced this loss.

However, we can't always keep our kids and loved ones sheltered from life if we think it is too dangerous or you might get hurt. We can educate our kids on safety in sledding, emergency preparedness on the trail, pre-ride inspection, proper trail manners. Most of all we can teach them that as most things in life...sledding is a privellege and not a right! Then we all can practise what we preach. I too have had a close call this year. On a dangerous curve I was nearly sideswiped because some moron decided he should be able to ride right across the width of the trail so that he could show his buddies what an ACE (Ass Causing Emergencies) he is. Thank god I saw his sled well before he saw me and I was pulled over, almost off the trail and stopped.

Hopefully our education with our families and places like this forum will make people wise up a little and save a life! When we see an dangerous rider, report them. You might be saving their life. When we see dangerous conditions, report them to the club, so that they can post them on their websited or if it is a bad section of trail, perhaps things can be changed in the future.

Again, my deepest condolences.

My condolences as well. I had first hand experience with this just last week as we had our first trail fatality since I became involved with the club in 96. It was on trail B102 15k east of Barry Bay. I was at the accident scene taking pics and measurements etc for the ORS report, It just leaves a bad feeling knowing that we maintain these trails for people to have fun on, not to DIE on.

bmax

It really is a shame that there have been deaths this year, especially those that were truly an accident.

I feel whole heartedly for the loved ones left behind.

And more often then not its the innocent ones who get hurt or killed.

Archived