Elliot Lake - Chapleau - D'Ville/Wawa - Sault Ste. Marie- EL

Canuck

Just a quick report – half way through a father and son 4 day trip..

Algoma Loop

Elliot Lake

Chapleau

Wawa (with a stop in Dubreaville )

Sault Ste. Marie

Elliot Lake.

Sun Feb 15/09 - Elliot Lake to Chapleau – We stayed at Dunlop Lake Lodge (awesome!) and were fortunate to catch the trail at our front door. F trail north .

Recently groomed, but hard packed snow most others have noted. Wonderful riding out of Elliot Lake – wide trails, magnificent vistas. Trail was top notch until the midway gas stop to Chapleau (Black Bear ??). Writing this from hotel lobby in Wawa, so no time to check - will give full report once home.

Trails directy south and north of Chapleau have had one pass by groomer and are generally beat. No idea why – other areas with similar terrain and snow cover seem to do a better job.

On a positive note, stayed at Valentine’s Bed and Breakfast in Chapleau on Monday night. There was a group of 6 out of Timmins, and 4 sledders from US. They were all return customers, and I can see why.

Monday Feb 16, 09 – Awoke to wonderful breakfast at Valentines B & B. Ungroomed trail to Ernie’s and then heaven – met Ernie, had great burgers, and crossed the lake to another grooming system. Dubreaville. What a diffence, simply on the other side of the lake. Rode awesome trails to D’ville, had a coffee with Groomer Guy. Then, back along the widest, best track to the Wawa system. Wawa trails also wonderfully groomed. Great trails, right to the door.

Saw 3 moose. Usual moose siting position - coming over a crest, trail dipping to right, moose ahead. Sledding at a manageable speed, so both of us stopped and observed. Large, yet graceful as they took off through the forest.

Two wonderful days of sledding ahead, and with light snow next 2 days, it will only get better.

Sounds like a great time.

I am green with envy :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sounds like you gased up at Black Creek. Yes.

Was Aubrey Falls open just North of Black Creek? No. From talking to others, sporadic hours.

Skidooing

AND - three days after us, 45 sledders passed through Black Creek as part of Bobcat Tour out of Hamilton. Black Creek only has 1000 litre tank according to riders in that group, and they had to co-ordinate gas delivery. I believe they had to co-ordinate with Halfway Haven as well.

Something to keep in mind if we ever do an oc.com run (Good/Evil and Trax will get gas as they will arrive first ... Slomo, STG and I will arrive 2 days later, and will also have fuel. Others in between, you're on your own :lol: )

Well, had some time tonight to download photos, and will start with ..

Day 1 - Elliot Lake to Chapleau.

We chose Elliot Lake as a launching point due to the relatively short drive from Toronto (6.5 hours); the fact that our sleds were on the Hwy 400 corridor, and I could leave them in that area for the oc4Kelly ride on Saturday of that week.

This was a father - son trip. The son is 18, the dad a fossil.

It was Valentine's Day at Dunlop Lake cottages. The resort had a Valentine's Day menu (here's where Ox, et al stop reading.. sorry, no 'sled stuck in snowbank' pictures :lol:)

Dinner was great (Lamb), and they even had a 'barbershop' chorus sing for the guests. Hoaky, yes. Fun, wow. Dunlop Lodge appears to have really gone after sledders this year, and is facing 'issues' with long standing lodging operators in the area who traditionally catered to sledders. Signs that existed when we left were gone when we returned - adding 50 kms to our last day. By then, I was in a "hakuna matada' state of mind, and enjoyed the extra riding.

Interesting, the 45 sledders that I mentioned above also launched from there.

No need to go into snow conditions as they have changed (for the better) since then. I will, however, mention that the trails are wide, well marked and the scenery is beautiful. The resort is on a hill north of Elliot Lake and the vistas from the start of our ride were marvelous.

The sleds for the trip were a 2006 Yamaha Attak and a 2007 Yamaha Venture

DSC_0464-1.jpg

(this photo is from later in the trip, where trail was groomed north east of Sault Ste. Marie, but it's one of my favourite of the sleds)

Dunlop Lodge is a 'cinder block' style motel with an attached tavern and dining room.

DSC_0344.jpg

Now, the best part - the trails themselves.

Entering the trail system from Dunlop Lodge - north to Chapleau, or south to Elliot Lake. Away we go to Chapleau.

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

You can see what you're in for - gentle dips, steady climbs. Breathtaking vistas.

We stayed at Valentine Farms Bed and Breakfast that evening. The host, Ross was wonderful. The room cost $59 and includes breakfast. Indoor sled parking. The hot tub is in the actual residence, as is a communal television room. I believe that 2 rooms have conventional 'tv in room set-up' and those rooms are $75.

DSC_0383.jpg

One group of 4 from Michigan and another group of 8 who launched in Timmins shared the B and B with us. A great experience for an 18 year old. Sled talk, and more sled talk :lol: Equally important, the yoot was taught how to improvise. All sleds ran hot that day, and two Ski-doos in the larger group were overheating. The sled owners had moditifed their flaps by cutting them in half (did not want to run over them in reverse). Well, it appears that sleds require a 'closed loop' cooling system, and snow flying out the rear of a sled via a half flap does not cool a sled.

The solution .............

DSC_0380.jpg

Laughter, improvisation, hot tub, sled talk and discussions of past trips and journeys ahead. A wonderful day.

Day 2 - Chapleau to Wawa

Woke up, had breakfast (bacon and eggs) and headed back south to town (Chapleau) to get gas. If you're arriving from the south, you should gas up at Esso before arriving at your lodging, since you're doubling back for fuel.

The trail north was brutal. It was only groomed once, and branches/trees were everywhere. Not sure whether they simply 'missed the golden opportunity' to groom again before the rain/thaw like everyone else in the region did, or whether as some folks have suggested, they're letting it go to waste to support their idea for cutting off the northern loop. In any event, a shame.

Arriving at Ernie's, we fueled up and had the best burgers we've ever tasted.

DSC_0391.jpg

For those keeping score, it's bacon and eggs for breakfast and a burger for lunch. :shock::lol:

From there, it was a fast run along mint trails to Dubreuilville to see Groomer Guy. An awesome fellow, and a huge asset to northern snowmobiling.

We travelled to Wawa for the evening and stayed at the Wawa Motor Inn. With only 2 in our group, it did not make sense to rent a house in D'Ville.

The rooms at the Wawa Motor Inn were clean, updated and the hotel had sled parking at the door.

This was day 2 of 'dry running' (basically sledding on trail base) but the next morning the forecast snow landed.... :woot:

DSC_0412.jpg

Day 3- Wawa to Sault Ste. Marie

Woke up to fresh snow.

Met the neighbours next door, who had 'packed it in' due to burning sliders. Interestingly, they were also riding Yamaha's, and I'm not sure what the issue was. We had put a lot of weight/transfer onto our skis, and perhaps took some pressure off our sliders. Dumb luck on our part?

In any event, I did not see how they could pack it in with this view from the hotel room door...

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

We had breakfast in town at The Emerald Restaurant, stopped at Canadian Tire for a bungy cord, and I realized that you could see both ends of town from the centre.

To the right..

DSC_0415.jpg

To the left ..

DSC_0416.jpg

A few other comments about Wawa :

1. You arrive in Wawa from the north via a large lake, and on a first ride, I'd suggest you arrive in daylight.

2. The town does not allow any riding on the main street. The side streets were bare upon arrival on day 2. Taxis into town are expensive since (as were were told) there is only once company in town.. It was $6.50 from the hotel to town - a distance of about one km. In any other city/town, it would have been $3.

3. As you leave Wawa, you pass "Jones Motorsports" right on the trail. The sign says "Last service for 200 miles". They aren't kidding. The next stop is Halfway Haven, and they're not really set up for repairs. I can't comment on their service, as we didn't stop, but it's something to consider.

The journey from Wawa to Halfway Haven (like D'Ville to Wawa the day before) is full of wide trails and wonderful views.

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0424.jpg

I actually took this photo in the hydro lines, thinking 'this is as good as it gets', when actually, the best riding is right after the hydro lines.

DSC_0432.jpg

Arriving at the famous Halfway Haven, we refueled and took in the scenery. It's a spot that serves an important function in Ontario sledding (seemingly in the middle of nowhere, it provides rest, fuel, food and lodging to sledders).

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

The front door

DSC_0442.jpg

Departing HH, it's more wonderful trails and the 'ski hill' territory of Searchmount

DSC_0443.jpg

We refueled there, and continued to Sault Ste. Marie. En route, we saw 12 sledders heading our way and joined them. Imagine our surprise when they arrived at the hotel to join 33 of their friends - they were a group of 45. :shock:

The WaterTower Inn 'absorbed' the large group, and it was fun talking to them when I bumped into them at various times throughout the evening.

As we checked in at Sault Ste. Marie, I was tapped on the shoulder by the sledders we left in Wawa that morning (sliders burning...). They trailered south, and had dinner at the Water Tower Inn before continuing. Small world, we sledded/they trailered - arrived at the same time.

They asked how the trails were. I looked them in the eye and said...

"They were awesome. You should have been there."

8-)

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you and your son had a good experience!

Great report Canuck! Our group was going to do parts of this trip this year - but now is scheduled for next year's trip instead. Outstanding pics! Looking forward to DOOing it!

Sounds like you gased up at Black Creek. Yes.

Was Aubrey Falls open just North of Black Creek? No. From talking to others, sporadic hours.

Skidooing

AND - three days after us, 45 sledders passed through Black Creek as part of Bobcat Tour out of Hamilton. Black Creek only has 1000 litre tank according to riders in that group, and they had to co-ordinate gas delivery. I believe they had to co-ordinate with Halfway Haven as well.

Something to keep in mind if we ever do an oc.com run (Good/Evil and Trax will get gas as they will arrive first ... Slomo, STG and I will arrive 2 days later, and will also have fuel. Others in between, you're on your own :lol: )

LOL!

Heck - No worries here - I won't make it that far enyhow. I would have been side-tracked by some hydroline down by Tunnel Lake and found a perfectly good snowbank to go git stuck in to ever make it that far. :coffeespit:

Besides - I got my own fuel. ;)

Well done Canuck!! We were a day ahead of you on the same loop....My camera batteries (both sets) were dead on day 2 so I'm glad you got some pictures to share!

I absolutely love it up there. The scenery is spectacular!!!

What happened to the first group of pictures? I can't see any of them.

Re-doing tonight

:oops: I created sub-directories in Photobucket for the pictures after posting . You're not supposed to change the path. It's like DOS. Don't mess with it.

OH NO!

I need to make some sub cats there as well one day - but I didn't realize that will muck up all my links from then on.

:banghead:

OH NO!

I need to make some sub cats there as well one day - but I didn't realize that will muck up all my links from then on.

:banghead:

Yep.

You're stuck with one big 'main' file, unless someone on the board has advice.

I will now copy photos from disc, categorize, then post.

The photos above exist - I'll just grab them from the sub-directory.

Once you know the path, you can edit the links in the previous post and it should work.

I just went through that to fix the thread about my KL trip last April.

Archived