HWY400

Doonut

So who got stuck in the giant mess on the 400 yesterday?

A buddy left Gravenhurst before noon and by 3pm was getting near the off ramp at 89 where he was forced off.

I left at 5:30 and bailed off at Innisfil rd then cut south on sideroad 5 down to HWY88 and bypassed the closure. I got home just over an hour after him after leaving 5 hrs later.

I left Gravenhurst at about 5:30 also but decided to take 169 through Washago and take 12 and 48 to Newmarket. Thought I stay away from everything on the west side of Lake Simcoe. This route took alot longer but there were not highway or weather problems.

So who got stuck in the giant mess on the 400 yesterday?

A buddy left Gravenhurst before noon and by 3pm was getting near the off ramp at 89 where he was forced off.

I left at 5:30 and bailed off at Innisfil rd then cut south on sideroad 5 down to HWY88 and bypassed the closure. I got home just over an hour after him after leaving 5 hrs later.

Left Nottawasaga Inn about 1:00pm yesterday. Took a few hours to get back. Had to head down 27 ... tractor trailers getting stuck going up hills, etc. What a mess!

Good news that no one was hurt in that mess.

Maintenance of roads is apparently now contracted out (look at large signs on Hwy.. this portion maintained by ...Co.)

Based on numerous 680 News reports this winter of accidents, etc.... query whether they are being maintained to the standards we recall.

Some would argue that drivers are worse. Whereas once you had folks going slow and easy to the cottage, now you have individuals rushing to work, etc. Barrie has huge population, etc. and more people on roads. One road servicing Barrie, Orillia and points north.

But - it comes down to maintenance. And I don't think 400 north is getting the maintenance it deserves.

I left Gravenhurst at about 5:30 also but decided to take 169 through Washago and take 12 and 48 to Newmarket. Thought I stay away from everything on the west side of Lake Simcoe. This route took alot longer but there were not highway or weather problems.

It wasn't that long if you turned left instead of right and that first turn ;)

Left Huntsville at 1:15...luckily, heard the radio news reports about the mess and closure on 400, so we did the Washago turn-off to 169 and then 12 route as well, and eventually worked our way across country from Sunderland to the top end of 404, managed to get south on 404 only to Aurora Rd, then got shunted off there due to bad white-outs and a multi-vehicle accident closure as well (same thing as 400, but on much smaller scale)...ended up going south on Woodbine and then Leslie until we could get back on 404 south at Major Mack, and from there down to 401...pulled in the driveway at 401/Avenue Rd exactly 3 hours later, compared to our usual trip of about 2 hours and 10 minutes...not bad, all things considered.

We consider ourselves very fortunate...if we'd left earlier in the day, who knows what might have happened...

I took hwy #12 home from Port Severn right down to Hwy#7 and got to Burlington in 3hrs. A little squall line around 407 and mc cowan road but besides that smooth sailing. I just opted to avoid the whole 400/hwy 27 Cluster ****, hope everyone made it home safe.

Yukon

I took hwy #12 home from Port Severn right down to Hwy#7 and got to Burlington in 3hrs. A little squall line around 407 and mc cowan road but besides that smooth sailing. I just opted to avoid the whole 400/hwy 27 Cluster ****, hope everyone made it home safe.

Yukon

I did, Thanks! :D

Yukon

can't win em all :mrgreen:

Yukon

Ouch ! :P :P

Yukon

:(:shock::evil:

I think that if alot of people knew that there wasn't a trophy waiting for them at home for being 1st and $50,000, there'd be alot less problems.

Some people say that there's not enough maintenance are just making excuses for outdriving the conditions.

If you knew that there was low maintenence on certain roads, why would you drive like there was? It baffles me and it costs alot of innocent people alot of money.

Not trying to rant or accuse, but this is the reason why I can't work anymore! Brainless people go to fast for the conditions just to get somewhere that does'nt make a bloody difference in the long run.

Been There, hit by one

I don't know what it is with the 400 between 88 and 89??? I was stuck there for four hours when that poor trucker got killed in the Summer. Seems that every time the 400 get's closed it is in proximity to 88 and 89.

I left Haliburton that day around 4 P.M. and made it home in just under 3 hours. I took 35 to the 115 and then 401 to Burlington. No issues.

I am beginning to doubt the convenience of the 400 and considering taking more side routes. Hope everyone travelling got home safe and without too much hassle.

Archived