8 missing sledders

Wildbill

OMG! how tragic :( My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families

Heard about this this morning on the radio.

Tragic!

Very sad.

And yes... I suspect that riding in avalanche prone mountains is like sledding on ice in unknown areas.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the families.

what is some of the details were they on a guided tour or on there own. were they familiar with the mountain. were they locals.??? it's sad to think that this mourning they heard beacons. so they thought some was still alive. :(

what is some of the details were they on a guided tour or on there own. were they familiar with the mountain. were they locals.??? it's sad to think that this mourning they heard beacons. so they thought some was still alive. :(

The best info is on the link more details to come .

More details :(

Unfortunately...............the last body has now been found :(

Working in television, I understand that bad news sells (as sick as it sounds). This story got a ton of air-play over the last few days. I can't count how many people have come up to me (cuz they know I love sledding hard) with negative comments. I just don't bother to answer them anymore. It's a waste of time. Mountain sledding has it's risks and they are accepted by those who choose to take part in the thrill. These guys were no idiots. They were very experienced riders with a zest for life and got caught by the odds. Not the time to fly-off with negative comments. Families are mourning and my heart goes out to them.... :cry:

Working in television, I understand that bad news sells (as sick as it sounds). This story got a ton of air-play over the last few days. I can't count how many people have come up to me (cuz they know I love sledding hard) with negative comments. I just don't bother to answer them anymore. It's a waste of time. Mountain sledding has it's risks and they are accepted by those who choose to take part in the thrill. These guys were no idiots. They were very experienced riders with a zest for life and got caught by the odds. Not the time to fly-off with negative comments. Families are mourning and my heart goes out to them.... :cry:

Amen brother the news folks are out of control trying to be stars.

Thank you for posting that - I am making a donation right now!

is that the same as riding on the lakes not knowing the ice conditions?

unfortunately yes,they have had avalache warnings here since the snow came,4 and more feet at a time.These kids,I say kids cause they were mostly in their 20's had stopped to talk when this disaster took place.They were all from the area.They all knew the area well,it is so sad,the town is 4000 pop so all are touched by this some way or another.I actually turned down a trip,prior to this avalanche,to Fernie in March in which my brother is going on with 14 guys.Reasons are plenty but my lack of exp in that area is one.I am going to stay in the lower elevation area's like Kamloops,Pemberton ice fields(guided tours) and perhaps the Coquihalla Lakes area.

Think twice before leaving shore next time you strike out across a lake you do not know,,,,,,,,

how many will drown this year on lakes that are familiar?

Archived