Bobcaygeon to Sharbot Lake

Nicole

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the BEST way to get to Sharbot Lake from Bobcaygeon? We're thinking about going the first or second week of January. Also how long would it take to get there? Can you do it in one day or will we need to stay overnight. If we will need to stay over what place would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

:woot:

Call the club(s) responsible for that area. Then, look at a map...the old fashioned way. That is part of the fun.Planning YOUR own ride. I am not being rude here, just suggesting that what might be great directions from somebody, might be lousy to somebody else.

When you plan your own ride, you plan the stops, detours and points of interest that you want to see. have fun.

Thank you for the reply... I understand what your saying , but we did look a the map and it looks like you have to go so far out of your way instead of being able to just go straight across lol... plus it's always good to hear from people that have sled to sharbot lake and get their experience from the trip..

Oh and yes we will have fun for sure!!! no matter where we end up lol..

:rotflmao:

There must be one person on here that has done it before.. :(

Now that I think about it, not many folks have posted about Eastern Ontario.

I only recently discovered Haliburton Forest, and on the way, was very surprised at the riders on the trail systems (along Hwy 35, just north of 401).

Anyhow - many folks on this forum are Southwest ontario or central/northern Ontario.

Hopefully someone can assist, but don't take it personally if no one pipes in.

Hi Nicole,

When you leave Bobcaygeon take E-108 and go east to the E trail, follow E to where it meets B106E. This is just east of Ormsby. You will turn right (south) on the E trail ,which is an old rail bed that is a great trail. Soon after, the E will turn left (east), but you can continue south on the railbed E106 down toward Marmora. The trail will change to E112 after Marmora but is still rail bed. Follow this as it turns and heads east toward Tweed. The trail changes to E108 even though it is the same rail bed. E 108 will bring you past Kaladar and right into Sharbot Lake.

This is easy to follow and is a pretty fast route. You can check your TOP trail guide map to see the route. There are alternatives if you don't want to run that much rail line. E101 between Kaladar and Bon Echo is a great trail, you could go to Sharbot Lake one way and come back another. E107 Through Havelock and Apsley is another option you could take to change things up. These are all nice rides.I would check conditions and go with the best snow.

As far as accommodations in Sharbot Lake, there is only one place that I am aware of. The Sharbot Lake Country Inn. It is just off the trail as you come into the village. Nice place with a restaurant on site. I would call ahead to check availability 613-279-2198.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the information~ :D I can't wait to go on our trip.. I don't really like the railbeds though:(... I find them really slippery at times. I would rather the nice trails that have lots of room on either side.. Being a new sledder I still have a lot to learn ha-ha... I dumped my sled last year :rotflmao: going up a VERY small sled made hill.. :rotflmao: i was told i never leaned properly into the turn.. and tipped it over.. I was VERY embarrassed since everyone in the parking-lot came running.. I just happened to tip the sled where everyone parks to get on the trails... so as you can see , I'm a new sledder (like last year new) but, I'm catching on and loving every minute of it.. :woot: maybe we'll see you on the trails this winter if not ride safe and Merry Christmas!!

AP, is pretty well got it nailed. Yes you do have to head a bit north out of your way. CH212 is a shortcut from the Eldorado area thru Madoc that bypasses Marmora.

Make sure when you leave Bobcaygeon your sleds are full. The first gas stop is in Coe Hill.

I'm not sure about gas in Madoc, but there's a gas station just north of the trail on the main street in Tweed.

Check the the link in my signature, there's accommodation info there.

I would think a full day of riding. Once you get on the railbed @ Coe Hill you should be able to make pretty good time. When I rode the railbed from Marmora to Tweed it was in decent shape. I'm not familiar w/ the area east of there, so I can't help you in that respect.

After Coe Hill the rail trail is pretty easy. Its not elevated like many so its pretty low stress all the way to Mamora however you will be certain to see some high speed traffic.

Get gas whenever possible, Coe Hill ran out several times last year he doesn't have real big tanks. Premium runs out 1st as this tank is small.

Likely safe on Saturdays but later in the day Sunday you never know.

If Coe Hill is out you may find gas in Glen Alda as it appears he's open again (narrow hours tho not exactly sure yet this year). A trail leads off top E into Glen Alda if needed.

Next chance would be Trudy's (south on B106E).

Now I'm even signing on at work.. This site is addicting lol.. anyhooo .....

Ya think! :o I've been stuck here for three friggin' years.... I can't leave, I can't sleep, I can't stop......

And, as for OC.com, great place to be, good times had by all. If you don't get banned in the first 60 days, your probably alright ;):rotflmao:

Lol.... I won't get banned i promise :o I was telling Rick he should get on here but he sucks at computers ha-ha... He does want to meet everyone though... if his shoulder is good to go we will try to make it for the Kelly run.. If not maybe we can organize a ride in bobcaygeon?

bobcaygeon to bancroft is an easy days ride 4-6 hours depending if you stop or not, or how fast you want to go. last year the twin mtn trails were in good shape early, but buckhorns sucked, once through buckhorns, paudash are great again, if we get some snow i'll be in bobcaygeon monday sledding.

The Best Western in Bancroft would be a good place to stay midway to Sharbot Lake. Snowmobile friendly, just off the trail with a bridge leading you to their parking lot so you don't have to run any streets to get there. Most rooms allow you to park your sleds right out front (request first floor). Restaurant and pool on site and a few other restaurants within wasy walking distance.

Now I'm even signing on at work.. This site is addicting lol.. anyhooo .....

Ya think! :o I've been stuck here for three friggin' years.... I can't leave, I can't sleep, I can't stop......

And, as for OC.com, great place to be, good times had by all. If you don't get banned in the first 60 days, your probably alright ;):rotflmao:

In fact he missed it so much he fixed it when it broke.

I thought it took CJ awhile and one totally idiotic post to get banned.

Archived