Is a permit required to ride on a lake but not on the OFSC trail?

gojetsgo

The lake that we have a cabin on has an OFSC trail on it. Do we need an OFSC permit to snowmobile on the lake but away from the trail?

We have no need to ride on the trail (on lake or on land), nor cross the trail while we ride on the lake. We have other road and through bush access points to get where we wish to go.

Thanks in advance.

Nope

I think there is even an acception that if you are going to said lake to fish, you can use the OFSC trail to get to lake in order to fish witghout a trail pass.....or if yuo have a cabin that is accessed by an OFSC trail.

I am sure someone will be able to corect or clarify this, but I recall this was always an exception, with certain guidelines applied.

But sounds like you have an alternate way to get to lake anyways, so not applicable.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, gojetsgo said:

The lake that we have a cabin on has an OFSC trail on it. Do we need an OFSC permit to snowmobile on the lake but away from the trail?

We have no need to ride on the trail (on lake or on land), nor cross the trail while we ride on the lake. We have other road and through bush access points to get where we wish to go.

Thanks in advance.

There are no rules on a lake as I understand it, OFSC stakes or not. A stake line is not a trail and is not maintained as a trail.

• Like 6

No need for a permit on the lake.  You do need everything else though (proof of insurance, ownership, drivers license, up to date val tag, etc.)  I'd avoid the stake line.  It's a grey area if you meet the cops.  Not likely to get fined for permits on it, but always a chance (whether the cop is right or not).  Cross it at 90 degrees and there shouldn't be anything to argue over.

8 hours ago, stoney said:

I think there is even an acception that if you are going to said lake to fish, you can use the OFSC trail to get to lake in order to fish witghout a trail pass.....or if yuo have a cabin that is accessed by an OFSC trail.

I am sure someone will be able to corect or clarify this, but I recall this was always an exception, with certain guidelines applied.

But sounds like you have an alternate way to get to lake anyways, so not applicable.

this is the regulation from the MSVA which outlines the angling exception to trail permits. Note the bold highlight. This is often ignored by many who claim the exemption. 

Licensed anglers.

While engaged in angling activities during open season, as defined in the Ontario Fishery Regulations made under the Fisheries Act(Canada), pursuant to a valid fishing or hunting/fishing outdoors card and a valid sport fishing validation tag, both issued under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, and while travelling on Crown or other public land directly to or from the area open for angling, within the meaning of the Fisheries Act(Canada), if the trail is the only access route from the closest road to the area open for angling or is the only safe access route to the area open for angling.

A valid fishing or hunting/fishing outdoors card and a valid sport fishing validation tag, both issued under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997. 

13b.

Anglers 65 years old or older or under 18 years old.

While engaged in angling activities during open season, as defined in the Ontario Fishery Regulations made under the Fisheries Act(Canada), pursuant to a valid fishing or hunting/fishing outdoors card and a valid sport fishing validation tag, both issued under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, and while travelling on Crown or other public land directly to or from the area open for angling, within the meaning of the Fisheries Act(Canada), if the trail is the only access route from the closest road to the area open for angling or is the only safe access route to the area open for angling.

A valid fishing or hunting/fishing outdoors card issued under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997 or,

(i) a driver’s licence,

(ii) a motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence, or

(iii) a birth certificate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1