Elliott Lake Trip

yamirider

We are thinking about a trip to Elliot Lake this March.  We have ridden out of Wawa numerous times, so are familiar with Ontario.  Looking for recommendations on lodging. What is the trial system like? Good loops? Any information on the area would be much appreciated. Thanks!!     

1 minute ago, yamirider said:

We are thinking about a trip to Elliot Lake this March.  We have ridden out of Wawa numerous times, so are familiar with Ontario.  Looking for recommendations on lodging. What is the trial system like? Good loops? Any information on the area would be much appreciated. Thanks!!     

you have likely already looked at the map but if not here is a link:     https://ofsc.evtrails.com/#          Lots of loops in that area. Dunlop Lake Lodge is a good place to stay.

• Like 1

You will get lots of seconders, including me, for Dunlop Lake Lodge on this forum. Its almost 10 miles north of Elliot Lake and very sled friendly. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn on one trip when DLL was fully booked. It was certainly acceptable and good restaurant was within walking distance, but I prefer the lodge. If everything is booked in Elliot Lake, you could consider Spanish or Blind River. I haven't stayed in either town, so can't give a personal recommendation on accommodation.  

9 hours ago, yamirider said:

Might want to go sooner then later. Not very many times I can remember Elliot lake being good in middle of March. First week is usually ok but can go down hill fast especially D trail and towns near highway. Too north usually lasts longer but not much happening that way this year, unfortunately. 

Just got back from Elliot Lake - rode Thursday to Sunday.

Stayed at Dunlop Lake Lodge.

There really are not a lot of options for accommodation. There is the Hampton Inn in town and Dunlop Lake which is great - ask for Tricia. They get booked fairly quick so you better look into it sooner or later.

Lots of great loops to do from there. Heads up - the trails up there - for the most part are not 100kmph trails. You work for most of your km's. So be wary of setting too lofty of a an agenda.

MS

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sevey said:

Just got back from Elliot Lake - rode Thursday to Sunday.

Stayed at Dunlop Lake Lodge.

There really are not a lot of options for accommodation. There is the Hampton Inn in town and Dunlop Lake which is great - ask for Tricia. They get booked fairly quick so you better look into it sooner or later.

Lots of great loops to do from there. Heads up - the trails up there - for the most part are not 100kmph trails. You work for most of your km's. So be wary of setting too lofty of a an agenda.

MS

That’s what makes it fun. Twisty, curvey and Hilley 😎. Only real fast trail is D trail. It’s pretty flat that way and they groom it nice if it has snow. Did you ride D too? Was restaurant open at Spanish River inn, when passing thru? 

We didnt make it to Spanish. We ended up going in other directions. Things improved as Saturday brought 6" of new snow.

With Dunlop Lake as our base camp:

Thursday afternoon - Rode south of town, took the F trail towards Spanish but didnt make it as we didnt get going until late afternoon and ran out of daylight.- out and back.

Friday - Took the D trail to Blind River. Came home on the BR4. I would not take this trail again, granted it is yellow, but very tight running. That day was freezing cold so it was a shorter day.

Saturday - F trail northwest to Blackcreek Outfitters. Tons of fun, half way out - that trail gets into logging roads where you can really increase your speeds easy cruise to 100kph.

Sunday - EL3 to the west - out and back  - powerline running. Lots of fun.

This was a father daughter trip so we were not crushing huge km's. Friday was -31C, so that slowed us down. Regardless, we clocked 700km so I was happy and so was she. Loved the terrain up there. Beautiful countryside.

MS

• Like 15

On 2/8/2023 at 6:02 PM, Sevey said:

We didnt make it to Spanish. We ended up going in other directions. Things improved as Saturday brought 6" of new snow.

With Dunlop Lake as our base camp:

Thursday afternoon - Rode south of town, took the F trail towards Spanish but didnt make it as we didnt get going until late afternoon and ran out of daylight.- out and back.

Friday - Took the D trail to Blind River. Came home on the BR4. I would not take this trail again, granted it is yellow, but very tight running. That day was freezing cold so it was a shorter day.

Saturday - F trail northwest to Blackcreek Outfitters. Tons of fun, half way out - that trail gets into logging roads where you can really increase your speeds easy cruise to 100kph.

Sunday - EL3 to the west - out and back  - powerline running. Lots of fun.

This was a father daughter trip so we were not crushing huge km's. Friday was -31C, so that slowed us down. Regardless, we clocked 700km so I was happy and so was she. Loved the terrain up there. Beautiful countryside.

MS

Nice. I remember most of those trails. F trail is best north of town. A few good hills especially when head backing back south seem so extreme not sure if you make it back up up or not from bottom. 
power line trail is good until wind picks up and gets blown in. I took it on way home one day and it was windy. Any food at black creek for lunch or just fuel? Spanish is a nice loop if you have time down F back on D with loop around town. I always wanted to go across to island but tree line is never open when I was there. 

On 2/10/2023 at 4:16 PM, Strong Farmer said:

Nice. I remember most of those trails. F trail is best north of town. A few good hills especially when head backing back south seem so extreme not sure if you make it back up up or not from bottom. 
power line trail is good until wind picks up and gets blown in. I took it on way home one day and it was windy. Any food at black creek for lunch or just fuel? Spanish is a nice loop if you have time down F back on D with loop around town. I always wanted to go across to island but tree line is never open when I was there. 

Black creek had food. They dont have a full menu but had enough choices to make it a worthwhile stop (not to mention there nothing else around). Definitely enjoyed being there, having never been in that area before.

MS

• Like 2

Does anyone know how/if the trails survived around Elliot Lake/ Bruce Mines area?

I can let you know tomorrow. I’m heading from espanola to Elliot lake tomorrow morning. We got about 4 to 5 inches last night but not sure how much Elliot lake got

4 hours ago, whits-end said:

We're booked into Dunlop on Monday and having a tough time deciding whether to cancel.  Lotta yellow.

DRJ, I'd really appreciate any update you can offer on the area.

Thanks in advance.

X2

I will post tomorrow late afternoon when I arrive. Also have another friend heading there as well in the early morning and he is going to be riding that area as well for 2 days. I’ll talk to him tomorrow night as well to see how his day was before I report

• Thanks 1

No need to cancel. The trails are good. The base  is a little bit hard but still lots of lube. Ithe trails are great. All the way right to Espinola. Obviously gets a little bit bumpy when you’re close to Elliot Lake, but other than that the trails are really good. I would not head down their trail to Spragge  as anything along  The highway is never good. . There’s not much in Spanish anymore so you’re better to go to Massey. The only issues at all or is that anywhere there is a creek or a swamp is it starting to come across the trail and it’s a little sketchy in  places so you just have to be aware of that. Other than that the trails are excellent. supposed to be fairly warm tomorrow but later in the week they’re calling for a bunch of snow. Anyway, if you’re looking to get some riding, I definitely would not cancel I would come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just thinking after I posted this that the best way to describe it is I’ve been on these trails many times when there green and they’re in a lot worse shape than they are now being yellow so that should give you some hope

• Like 1

Good report DRJ. Thanks.  Glad to hear trails are still good.   I'll be in Elliot Lake in mid-march for some cross-country and remote wilderness riding.

Thank you DRJ for the very useful report. Glad that you had a good day.