SkiDoo Recall (Sept. 2008)

Canuck

(my purpose is to inform, not annoy :roll: )

SkiDoo is recalling some sleds for drive shaft issues. Cracks may be developing in the welded joints of the drive axle assembly and may lead to a complete breakage of the component. This may cause the track of the vehicle to suddenly lock.

Not sure how many are affected, so get sled in early if you're "Team Yellow" and are on the list. I recall talking to some riders last year who were 'back ordered' on parts.

Notice below and link attached

YEAR MODEL MODEL NUMBER SERIAL NUMBER

2009 MX Z TNT MJ9A ALL

2008 MX Z X BB8A / BB8B / BB8C / BB8D / BB8E / BK8A / BK8B /BK8C / BK8D / BK8E

MX Z Adrenaline BD8A / BD8B / BD8C / BD8D / BL8A / BL8B / BL8C /BL8D

MX Z TNT MJ9A /MF8A / MF8B / MF8C

MX Z Trail BH8A / BH8B

MX Z Renegade BU8A / BU8B / BU8C / BU8D / BX8A / BX8B / BX8C / BX8D / BX8E

MX Z Renegade X BS8A / BS8B / BS8C / BS8D / BS8E / BW8C /BW8D /BW8E / BW8F

MX Z X 600RS BM8A / BM8B

Summit X CP8C / CP8D / CP8E / CP8F / CP8G / CP8H / CG8A /CG8B / CG8C / CG8D / CG8E / CG8F / CG8G / CG8H /

CG8J / CH8C / CH8D / CH8E / CH8F / CH8G / CH8H

Summit Everest CT8A / CT8B / CU8A / CU8B

GSX Limited Touring DJ8A

GSX Limited DA8A / DD8A

GSX Sport DC8A

What is the potential problem? Cracks may be developing in the welded joints of the drive axle assembly and may lead to a complete breakage of the component. This may cause the track of the vehicle to suddenly lock. If this occurs riders may be ejected off the vehicle or loose control and collide with bystanders, a fixed object or other vehicles potentially resulting in serious injuries and/or death.

What should you do? Immediately stop using your vehicle, call an authorized BRP dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. He will replace the drive axle assembly. The dealer will perform this work at no charge to you.

If you have questions, need assistance, or to find your nearest authorized BRP dealer: • Visit

No idea where axles are made.

But, you'll love this WB, dealers get 1.5 shop hours for repair (1.7 if electric start), according to a dealer post.

Dealer basically said - "Don't get mad at me. I don't want or need this problem, and I'm not getting paid too much to fix it."

This is straight from my buddy who is a Doo tech at a dealership. If it is a 08 or 09 XP, it's getting a new driveshaft, any hydro-formed shaft must be replaced. All the new sleds at their dealership will obviously be replaced before they are delivered to the customer.

Wildbill, I can re and re a track in a Rev in a hour and a half, it's almost too easy! My buddy says he does it in under an hour on a XP, but he had plenty of practice replacing shafts on XPs last year. :wtf:

This is straight from my buddy who is a Doo tech at a dealership. If it is a 08 or 09 XP, it's getting a new driveshaft, any hydro-formed shaft must be replaced. All the new sleds at their dealership will obviously be replaced before they are delivered to the customer.

Wildbill, I can re and re a track in a Rev in a hour and a half, it's almost too easy! My buddy says he does it in under an hour on a XP, but he had plenty of practice replacing shafts on XPs last year. :wtf:

He got a lot of practice on mine!! I guess I need a new shaft. Have him hold one for me!!

He got a lot of practice on mine!! I guess I need a new shaft. Have him hold one for me!!

Oh god please give me strength not to type what I have to.................................Im going to slam myhand in the drawer! :P :P :P :P

Oh god please give me strength not to type what I have to.................................Im going to slam myhand in the drawer! :P :P :P :P

Go ahead ... I dare ya!

I guess I need a new shaft. Have him hold one for me!!

foot.gif:coffeespit::rotflmao:

Looks like every sled they make is being recalled. I guess thats what happens when you have 300 companies building parts to make 1 vehicle. Ahhem General Motors Corp.

Somebody's getting the "shaft" on this one! :o Guess I better get mine in earlier than usual this year :wavey:

Somebody's getting the "shaft" on this one! :o Guess I better get mine in earlier than usual this year :wavey:

Oh god. Now I have to slam my other hand in the drawer.......................................AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now who pays for the time to move the sled in and out of the shop as well as the time to order and recieve parts ,process the claim and shipping to and from doo.

Now who pays for the time to move the sled in and out of the shop as well as the time to order and recieve parts ,process the claim and shipping to and from doo.

Stir the pot, stir the pot, stir the pot....... :poke: :rotflmao:

I'd be glad that they are fixing it before the snow flies! :right_on:

My point is to be grateful to your dealer for although your sled is getting a new shaft they are giving a very well used shaft to the dealer :o

My point is to be grateful to your dealer for although your sled is getting a new shaft they are giving a very well used shaft to the dealer :o

Agreed. Tough game to be involved with anymore! :banghead:

I'm sure they can't be losing money. It's service work and keeps the shop busy..... I hope.

I hope there's a shaft left for me when I get there :)

I'm sure they can't be losing money. It's service work and keeps the shop busy..... I hope.

The OEM's are very clear on this that the dealer is NOT to make money on warranty work it is the price that they pay for being a dealer ! :puke: Indeed they track the warranty volume per dealer versus sales volume and penalize dealers for doing too much warranty work . Be grateful to your dealer for your coverage as it is likely losing them money.Dom I am sure that the dealer that fought the gremlin in your sled last year lost alot of money at it as usually diagnostic time is not covered and certainly the test riding is not covered . Your dealer did an excellent job of serviceing your needs.

The OEM's are very clear on this that the dealer is NOT to make money on warranty work it is the price that they pay for being a dealer ! :puke: Indeed they track the warranty volume per dealer versus sales volume and penalize dealers for doing too much warranty work . Be grateful to your dealer for your coverage as it is likely losing them money.Dom I am sure that the dealer that fought the gremlin in your sled last year lost alot of money at it as usually diagnostic time is not covered and certainly the test riding is not covered . Your dealer did an excellent job of serviceing your needs.

Oh, I agree they did a great job and I was very appreciative considering they were not the selling dealer.

My point was that this type of work keeps the shop working, so its hopefully not all a loss. I think the philosophy of OEM's not believing they should pay dealers enough for warranty work as to make them a profit is CRAP. It has been proven already with BRP that there only concern is themselves. Unless they will lose sales and see an outcry from the public, they will not react.

Large corporations have become desensitized to the human factor. They look at numbers and forget who got them there. People got them there, the dealers, the service techs, the corporate employees, and the CUSTOMERS!!!!

Baboons is what they are.......and they call me a monkey :whatever:

P.S. I got my letter in the mail yesterday. BRP says they want to give the shaft....

Free of charge

Archived