Kirkland Lake Microtel

snowgirl

Has anyone stayed at the Microtel in Kirkland Lake?  It does not show up on the interactive map, so I'm wondering if it's easy to access by trail?

29 minutes ago, snowgirl said:

Has anyone stayed at the Microtel in Kirkland Lake?  It does not show up on the interactive map, so I'm wondering if it's easy to access by trail?

L108. Across from the Comfort Inn, which also isn't showing up this season. I have never stayed there, but I've seen sledders there in the past.  Always good to call ahead these days.

KL.JPG

• Like 1

Only downside is you cant park in front of your room like you can at the Comfort Inn, but it is a newer more modern motel. Access is fine from either place. We found there was a limited selection in terms of food in Kirkland Lake last time we were there, maybe that has changed recently

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Turbo Tim said:

Only downside is you cant park in from of your room like you can at the Comfort Inn, but it is a newer more modern motel. Access is fine from either place. We found there was a limited selection in terms of food in Kirkland Lake last time we were there, maybe that has changed recently

Agreed about the sled parking. There's actually more food in town then you think.  We generally like to ask at the front desk for recommendations..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Turbo Tim said:

Love the trails around Kirkland Lake, some good riding there.

My Dad was from Kirkland Lake.  Growing up we would head up for 3-4 days (up to a week) to hunt grouse in all his old hunting spots.  Now I bring my girls up for a short trip to hunt birds too (amazing how even forests change over 35 years).  I still have not had the opportunity to go sledding up there yet.. but it's certainly on my to do list!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, paulslund said:

My Dad was from Kirkland Lake.  Growing up we would head up for 3-4 days (up to a week) to hunt grouse in all his old hunting spots.  Now I bring my girls up for a short trip to hunt birds too (amazing how even forests change over 35 years).  I still have not had the opportunity to go sledding up there yet.. but it's certainly on my to do list!

Your Dad almost certainly had my cousin as a High School teacher - Frank Zidar Jr., as Sr was my Uncle. It was a lively place in the middle 70's. I drove up there from Toronto on a motorcycle one weekend, just for Saturday night at the bars..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulslund said:

I’ve been up there a handful of times over my 20 years of riding and it never disappoints!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Your Dad almost certainly had my cousin as a High School teacher - Frank Zidar Jr., as Sr was my Uncle. It was a lively place in the middle 70's. I drove up there from Toronto on a motorcycle one weekend, just for Saturday night at the bars..

I unfortunately can't confirm.. the only claim to fame Dad mentioned about KL was the gold mines and the fact that Alan Thicke was from there as well (although I think they missed each other by about 10 years or something)..  I think Dad moved to Ottawa around the late 50's..

My aunt/uncle had a cottage on Butler Lake that we used to stay at..  It's no longer in the family unfortunately, but have great memories...

We stayed at the Comfort Inn a few weeks ago in KL. I like to park at my door. The front desk had a menu of a local restaurant. Food was amazing. Would definitely order from there again. 

• Like 5