Take the test OC.com ride - answers inside & the winner..

slomo

:) How Canadian Are You? :)

Won't be able to participate in the fun run due to family stuff...however wish to contribute - and is my nature - have a little fun doing it! Over the years I've collected little tidbits about our great country while travelling around and have collected a series of questions. Some forum members actually live in the communities that are answers! These are posted in the 'test' section of the forum (oddly enough) the thread is entitled 'test' (posted by me - slomo)

Here's the challenge:

-find the post (you must be logged in as a member)

-copy and paste the test into a text document

-answer the questions, putting the answers under the questions. (someone has left a good example there, but all the answers are incorrect)

-repaste questions and answers into a forum reply box

-post to forum

Contest is open for 24 hours from the date stamp of this post. Person with the most number of answers right, gets $50 contributed to the OC.com Ride for Kelly and Austin in their name (as well as the tax receipt)

I will be the final judge as to the correct answers.

Winner will be notified by PM.

Have Fun! Good Luck! :P

:)How Canadian Are You? :)

Won't be able to participate in the fun run due to family stuff...however wish to contribute - and is my nature - have a little fun doing it! Over the years I've collected little tidbits about our great country while travelling around and have collected a series of questions. Some forum members actually live in the communities that are answers! These are posted in the 'test' section of the forum (oddly enough) the thread is entitled 'test' (posted by me - slomo)

Here's the challenge:

-find the post (you must be logged in as a member)

-copy and paste the test into a text document

-answer the questions, putting the answers under the questions. (someone has left a good example there, but all the answers are incorrect)

-repaste questions and answers into a forum reply box

-post to forum

Contest is open for 24 hours from the date stamp of this post. Person with the most number of answers right, gets $50 contributed to the OC.com Ride for Kelly and Austin in their name (as well as the tax receipt)

I will be the final judge as to the correct answers.

Winner will be notified by PM.

Have Fun! Good Luck! :P

Thanks, Slomo ... that's very generous of you! You can bet I'll be entering this one!

[with (hopefully) the correct answers this time] :oops:

I want to win!!!

I want to win!!!

I want to win!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Slomo!!!! :P

Well, with about 12 hours to the deadline, excellent responses so far...

Keep in mind that even if you're not going on the ride, if you win, a donation is sent to the organizers in your name and a tax receipt mailed to you :P

Test Answers:

1. The community closest to the geographic center of Canada is Baker Lake, NU . Keep in mind we go from sea to sea, from the USA border to the North Pole.

I have sledded here while on a work trip - for a short brisk time: http://www.bakerlakehotel.com/

------------------------------------------------

2. On November 7, 1885, the last spike was driven for the first railway to span the Dominion of Canada. Where did this take place? Craigellachie, B.C.

Supplementary - The name of this railway was:

a) The Canadian National Railway

B) The Great Northern Railway

c) The Canadian Pacific Railway

d) The Grand Funk Railroad

The correct answer is 'Canadian Pacific Railway'. In true Canadian fashion, the CPR was built accompanied by plenty of political scandal, government bailouts,and contracts to 'friends'. The Great Northern and Canadian National came later to connect towns that the CPR missed. Grand Funk Railroad certainly hadn't had a hit at this time - this would come during the 1970's with 'We're An American Band',

'Closer to My Home', and 'Walk Like a Man' (recently used in the movie 'Road Hogs')-but would enjoy notoriety for setting a new high for the most marketing money being

spent in for promoting a band.

Interesting railway pictures from the CPR

http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+ ... istory.htm

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Name the city divided in two parts by the Alberta /

Saskatchewan border. - Lloydminster

Supplementary - Which is the better part to live in? Why?

Alberta? - no provincial sales tax, lower income tax rate, BUT

4 times a year Alberta residents send off a cheque for family healthcare. (in Ontario, it's on our tax forms)

Saskatchewan? Cross the border to buy goods with no sales tax, higher income tax rate, no payments for health care. (gasoline same in both sides)

Answer? Neither - the drinking water positively reeks of sulphur - it's in your coffee, drinking water,

showers....it stinks!

-------------------------------------------------

4. What Canadian provincial capital city was formerly known

as "Pile of Bones"? Regina, Saskatchewan. Buffalo bones

were piled at the site of the future capital's railway station and shipped east for fertilizer.

----------------------------------------------------

5. What city in Alberta was described by author Rudyard Kipling as having "all hell for a basement"? Medicine Hat, Alberta, due to great volumes of natural gas deposits around the area.

Supplementary - How did this city get its name?

During a battle between the Blackfoot and Cree nations

the Cree Medicine Man lost his head dress which was a bad

sign for the Cree. The place became known as a long

Aboriginal language phrase for 'place where the medicine man

lost his hat' that was shortened to Medicine Hat. The location of the battle is currently marked by a water slide park visible from the Trans Canada highway.

------------------------------------------------------

6. In what northern Ontario city did "cheap Tuesday" movie

nights originate?

Sudbury, Ontario. With the downturn of nickel

prices after the Vietnam War and new mechanized mining

techniques, there were thousands of layoffs. The city was

destitute. In order to attract any business, theatres started "cheap Tuesday" nights. ($2.00 admission)

Sudbury began an economic turn around with the installation

of a Taxation Canada Taxation (or whatever they're calling

themselves now) facility, diversification of industry, Science North, a reforestation program, the birth of Freezer Burnt and 'The Twins', expansion of the university to include a medical school, and at present time is enjoying the spinoffs of new nickel markets in China.

7. The capital city of Northwest Territories is Yellowknife.

It got its name from natives who traded in copper knives. Later,gold was discovered, which petered out. Currently, the diamond mining industry is huge.

-----------------------------------------------

8. The capital city of Yukon is Whitehorse.

It got its name because someone compared the waves

in the nearby rushing river to the white manes of horses.

-------------------------------------------------------

9. Bonus - because who cares - the capital city of Nunavut

is Iqaluit. But you must care, because if you spell it like we normally would "Iq u aluit" with a 'u' after the 'q', it means sh*tty ass in Inuktitut.

---------------------------------------------------

10.Which Ontario city briefly served as the national capital

of Canada prior to Ottawa (known then as Bytown) being officially designated as the capital?

Kingston, Ontario

Supplementary - Why was Ottawa formerly known as Bytown?

Got its name from Colonel John By, builder of the Rideau Canal.

-------------------------------------------------

11. Wawa means wild goose in the Oji-Cree language. (technically speaking in the Ojibway language)

---------------------------------------------------

12. True or False- Timmins is the largest city by area in Canada?

False, although once it was true - In a classic tax grab, the city of Timmins extended its borders well out into the wilderness surrounding the town to tax gold mining

companies - 1200 square miles.

Edmonton, Alberta is the largest city by area - 9536.63 km² or 3682.113 square miles

There are other municipal regions that are larger, but most include several communities. Skidooer may get a bonus point for Wood Buffalo, AB - a sprawling regional government which includes Fort McMurray.

13. Who was the first person to receive a Canadian passport?

Prior to 1947, all those living in Canada were British subjects who carried British passports. Prime Minister William Lyon MacKenzie King became the first Canadian citizen in 1947 and received the first truly "Canadian" passport. We haven't been around long as Canadians have we?

See, that was easy...... ;)

After careful consideration of all answers submitted and giving .5 marks for partial replies....the winner of the test contest is Giddy Up :idea::idea: by .5 of a mark.

Will PM you shortly regards contact info!

After careful consideration of all answers submitted and giving .5 marks for partial replies....the winner of the test contest is Giddy Up :idea::idea: by .5 of a mark.

Will PM you shortly regards contact info!

Hey! I want a recount!

Just kidding.

Congratulations, Giddy Up ... well-deserved!

WOW!!! That's great! Sorry it took so long to respond - but I was away for a couple of days and "off line". I just came home to this great news!!!

Thanks again for such a wonderful idea Slomo - it's too bad we aren't going to get the pleasure of your company on February 2nd - you will be missed!

A wonderful compilation, Slomo. Congrats Giddy Up.

I trust you used the auditing firm of Dewar's and Molson to verify results :lol:

Thanks again for such a wonderful idea Slomo

The glory in any idea is having the wherewithal to make it happen. Hope a few people on the forum got a chuckle :lol:

Got your PM GU, thanks, need to find a stamp now...

originally thought of a sledding quiz, but no one would have stood a chance against FreezerBurnt...

I did not do it it was too late but fun to read,

If such an activity is needed again will give more notice GG. Was hoping to give people who were too distant to the fun run a chance to participate. Problem was, how to get submissions without early posters getting their answers stolen on them? (sending PM's an alternative I guess)

So, have an aquaintance at work who is huge into drag racing - she does something called 'bracket racing' - fastest time without going over a set time wins. That's why the 24 hour time frame, posted at a time when people at home or (wasting company time) at work could respond. :D

Archived