One Dead in Belmont Lake

pt3189

Ice fisherman found at noon. Drove atv into the Crowe River which is completely open. He was up alone at his island cottage for the week end.probably disoriented in the dark . 

Just gave a statement to the police, they figure I was the last person to see him alive. They believe he over drove the headlight on his atv and couldn’t stop on the glare ice quickly enough. One of the nice guys that buys a country property and just fits in .

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

Just gave a statement to the police, they figure I was the last person to see him alive. They believe he over drove the headlight on his atv and couldn’t stop on the glare ice quickly enough. One of the nice guys that buys a country property and just fits in .

Very sad, one mistake  and you can be gone:mellow:

The ice fishermen are cutting through 10 to 13 inches this week. The atv drove into open water on the Crowe River , which exits midway down the lake on the East side. There is a large bay that will freeze sufficiently, but the area he went into never freezes. It narrows from a kilometre wide down to 50 metres where it happened. I took a long look at it I don’t understand it. Also the fact that he had left his fishing gear at his cottage and must been joyriding in -18 c temps.

20 hours ago, pt3189 said:

The ice fishermen are cutting through 10 to 13 inches this week. The atv drove into open water on the Crowe River , which exits midway down the lake on the East side. There is a large bay that will freeze sufficiently, but the area he went into never freezes. It narrows from a kilometre wide down to 50 metres where it happened. I took a long look at it I don’t understand it. Also the fact that he had left his fishing gear at his cottage and must been joyriding in -18 c temps.

The news is unfortunate for sure.  THe lake does have some bad areas to avoid as do may other lakes.

More to the personal side this was a comment on facebook from his Cousin Larry Berio  In 87 my brother Tim and I got lost at night and sunk our sleds by the grace of god we survived. Too easy too fast too permanent.

Devastated by the news of losing my cousin Brian Tilbury yesterday by a tragic accident of going through the ice at his camp in Peterborough. 
I just taught him and his son the hunting course last month in Kitchener and spoke over the weekend about his camp, the outdoors and how much he loved the family. I received the news as I was teaching a hunting course in Kitchener yesterday. All I could do was think about you. 
I'm lost for words and can't imagine the nightmare he must have went through.
My love is going out to his wife Angie Tilbury and his kids.
To my cousin Don Tilbury, MaryAnn Tilbury-Fortin and Auntie Annette Tilbury, I'm so sorry 1f641.png:(

Archived