Swisha to Temiscaming

GTC

Planning a trip this week out of Swisha, just wondering if anybody has run the 43 up to Temiscaming lately. Never done this route before, curious on what to expect and how the snow is towards Temiscaming.

Hoping to do a loop around this way up to Amos and back down through Verandrye Lodge, thanks in advance for any info or comments.

it is a beauty trail, of various types of logging roads.  Be aware of the temiscaming end.. it runs the road a long ways.. not good in spring. The maps show it hoping on the lake and into Kipawa this year to avoid the road(Maniwaki Rd) . .. but not sure if it very well marked though???  I do not know anyone who has taken the lake yet as they know the road brings them to the desired location.  

There is a twisty section out of Swisha to avoid as well.. the orange dotted line on QC map to the west..  too tight for me, stay on the road ( main 43 trail ) 

125 miles to gas in the south of temiscaming from Swisha.. likely shorter if you go through Kipawa and gas there??

Ran it there/back last year and never met a sled over two days.   It is awesome country... thankful that  it is only 2 hours from Ottawa because Ottawa weather sucks the last few years... starting to feel like southern ON winters... not good for outdoors sports. 

Saw on FB today temiscaming club was out patrolling this weekend.. so trails must be OK

Ok thanks, my brother and some friends are up in Deep River this weekend, today they crossed into Quebec and were going to go up to Verandrye but the trail was very rough. They ended up turning around and they headed west towards Temiscaming part way and came back. Trail was good in that direction. They found out from gas attendant in Joachims that the groomer has been down for over a week but should be up and running by Monday. 

He also added the trails are really good on the Ontario side, lots of grooming being done, not bashing Quebec by any of these comments just sharing info.

Good to know.  I noticed that there was no grooming action this week on the QC map out of Swisha...  now we know it was not just the GPS broken but the whole groomer. Last year one time up there, there was no map groomer activity but still fresh grooming on arrival... so the GPS is thought to be flaky.

Surprised it was rough, as it(the 386) was reported as perfect last Sunday... anyhow.. will be watching the GPS this week as I am headed up the 386 Sat AM next weekend. 

I called one of the club exec out of Temiscaming, he told me most are running the road, about 6 km and the shoulder still has ice base. The lake is not staked.

He was very friendly and helpful. Leaving in the morning for the week, still up in the air, either Swisha or head for New Liskeard.

Can anyone tell me if there is any issues with the bridges riding into Quebec on the Swisha Rd. I thought I had read one time that there was open grated bridge(s) that you had to ride over and that they were tough on carbides.

From the posts above it appears there is gas available in Joachims. Can someone please let me know the location of the gas station?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have crossed the bridge with truck and trailer never on a sled, it is likely 250 - 300 ft long and would be very hard on carbides and studs. Plus 3 km of road on the Ont side.

I remember seeing gas station from the road dont remember if right on trail, signage is a little sparse in that area. 

2 hours ago, GTC said:

I have crossed the bridge with truck and trailer never on a sled, it is likely 250 - 300 ft long and would be very hard on carbides and studs. Plus 3 km of road on the Ont side.

I remember seeing gas station from the road dont remember if right on trail, signage is a little sparse in that area. 

Thanks for the info.

I drove over the bridge a couple weeks ago.. 6 sleds.. no issues.  Never heard of an issue with carbides.  More hard on the mind than anything. 

Gas at Lance's General Store.. on the main drag  1 km from bridge.. check their FB and website.. right on the main road in Swisha, north side of Island.  There is no trail that avoids the gas.. so basically can't miss.  They open at 9AM .. not 8AM as per website.. learnt that a few weeks back. 

The ON side of the road can be bare at times down from Hwy 17. 

33 minutes ago, largedaryl said:

I drove over the bridge a couple weeks ago.. 6 sleds.. no issues.  Never heard of an issue with carbides.  More hard on the mind than anything. 

Gas at Lance's General Store.. on the main drag  1 km from bridge.. check their FB and website.. right on the main road in Swisha, north side of Island.  There is no trail that avoids the gas.. so basically can't miss.  They open at 9AM .. not 8AM as per website.. learnt that a few weeks back. 

The ON side of the road can be bare at times down from Hwy 17. 

Thanks for the info! I'm guessing they likely sell Quebec permits at the store.

Here is a couple of pictures of the bridge looking back towards Ontario and the steel decking. This was taken February of 2017.

P2080008.JPG

P2080006.JPG

Thanks for the pics Grover!  3 of us have Rouski ski wheelz and I believe the 4th will have wheels before we make the trip. Not sure how the wheels will like that surface.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

The ski wheels won't like that steel grid. Don't use them unless you want to destroy them.

I agree, I rode part way over with my wheels down and I didn't like the way the wheels hit the steel. 

Archived