Parry Sound-Sudbury-North bay

andreyboater

Hi guys, our group of 6 planning to make 3 days trip at the end of January. we start from a cottage close to  Parry Sound and follow  to Sudbury, it's around 270km first day, second day from Sudbury to North bay around 190km and last day from North bay to Parry Sound around 250km trip. My question is anybody make that route? how is a trail condition in general ? Special first part Parry Sound to Sudbury, I heard some swamp there and trail can be bumpy and tricky. Sure I understand condition can be completely different depend of weather, amount of snow, but any way any information will help to plan a trip. Thank's 

It all depends on weather and snow.

Generally once you hit the pickerel and French river bridges heading north your good.

Last winter nothing south of 17 was groomed, no snow.

Yes last winter was outstanding we catched one week to make RAP trip.

I hope this year will be more friendly for sleders. 

48 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Hi guys, our group of 6 planning to make 3 days trip at the end of January. we start from a cottage close to  Parry Sound and follow  to Sudbury, it's around 270km first day, second day from Sudbury to North bay around 190km and last day from North bay to Parry Sound around 250km trip. My question is anybody make that route? how is a trail condition in general ? Special first part Parry Sound to Sudbury, I heard some swamp there and trail can be bumpy and tricky. Sure I understand condition can be completely different depend of weather, amount of snow, but any way any information will help to plan a trip. Thank's 

Hi.your first part should be no problem other than Carling closures. Notth of Pte au Baril we are dependant on proper freeze up of the Magnetawan and Key rivers. Without these being safe we don't open north of Byng Inlet.Last yr it didn't open. There is one section south of the Key that only gets snowmobile groomed and can be rough,but it's only a few K. North of the Key there is 400 road construction and could be some issues.Hopefully Owl's Nest will chime in as this is his area.

Thank's everyone for comments, so trip map is ready and  hotels are booked. Can't wait for it.

2017 snowmobile trip 3 days 650km.png

16 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Thank's everyone for comments, so trip map is ready and  hotels are booked. Can't wait for it.

2017 snowmobile trip 3 days 650km.png

Post something a week or so before your trip. I will give you upto date conditions on Ctrail,Carling to French River.

To gtserider, What is the issue with Carling? We are planning a ride from Honey Harbour to Sudbury at the end of Feb. 

14 minutes ago, catmando said:

To gtserider, What is the issue with Carling? We are planning a ride from Honey Harbour to Sudbury at the end of Feb. 

There is thread on the problems. Scroll down. Lets see 2hrs up the bay,an hr and a 1/2 from Killarney to Suds--be there for lunch. You won't be able to get out of Parry Sound going north without a LOT of back tracking.

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

Post something a week or so before your trip. I will give you upto date conditions on Ctrail,Carling to French River.

Will do Thank's

I will post up Sudbury as well when the time comes.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:43 AM, andreyboater said:

So, I was pretty close to cancel our trip and hotels reservations, because almost 10 days of warm weather and I don't believe trail will be ready,  but with some miracle and local clubs efforts, they are opening one by one and looks like only one piece is not available to complete our loop.

anybody have any information, idea or plan regarding this part of trail C ???

We are planning to start January 27th from Parry Sound to Sudbury.

Thank's for help. 

trail closed.png

Yes, like I said I'm very surprised trails become yellow. I hope the worst weather gone and cold days on a way.  

Just wonder about this part of trail if any other issue on a way except weather. thank's

Its our area that just went yellow, I cant see a lot of good grooming before you leave by the temps, The area south of the key has a lot more water to deal with,  Might want to rethink you timing or just trailer farther north,  Sorry cant give a better opinion at this point,

Thank you a lot for updates, really appreciate it, very difficult to create clear picture from Toronto:(

28 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Thank you a lot for updates, really appreciate it, very difficult to create clear picture from Toronto:(

I  would not do that trip myself on those dates,  I really don't want someone  to do it  and say how shitty it was,  Best reschedule or trailer farther north is my advice,

Just a honest answer from a local who has been on the trails to get them to this point,

Rich

39 minutes ago, Owls Nest Lodge said:

I  would not do that trip myself on those dates,  I really don't want someone  to do it  and say how shitty it was,  Best reschedule or trailer farther north is my advice,

Just a honest answer from a local who has been on the trails to get them to this point,

Rich

Thank's Rich, 90% we will reschedule our trip, but I keep 10 % for 6/49 weather lottery ticket. :-D 

Hey Rich,

I'm hoping to head up for some riding this coming weekend. 

Can you let us know if the cold temperatures forecasted later this week help any?

Did you guys get the warm weather? +5 here in barrie today...

Rain here now,  not looking real good for next weekend by the forcast, a lot of wait n see, will know better tomorrow after a road trip in the truck to do a quick check, But don't hold your breath by what I see in the yard and the lake,

Thanks for the no BS update. I'll look forward to hearing more later in the week.

I don't mind rough conditions, I've got lots to do around the camp as well. But don't want to head up just to drink beer...

1 hour ago, POLARIS98 said:

Thanks for the no BS update. I'll look forward to hearing more later in the week.

I don't mind rough conditions, I've got lots to do around the camp as well. But don't want to head up just to drink beer...

And just what is wrong with going to camp "just" to drink beer.

Archived