Vintage 'doo Question

revrnd

I had a 294 Silver Bullet and put on lots of good miles over a couple of seasons with no problems. I liked it better than my friend's 294 SS Elan. I also had a friend with a 340 Silver Bullet and another with a 440. They both switched to El Tigres after one season.

Edited by Blake G

My first and only Ski doo

.... prolly the most reliable sled you'll have ever owned .....  :rotflmao:

A young lad in the village showed me this pic from the house he owns. I knew the previous owners (both passed on) from when the pic was taken. It's dated 1970, the 1st winter we had our 335 Oly. Any idea if the white Oly is a special model?

attachicon.gifSleds at Ray Wilsons.jpg

Looks like the house I grew up in. Except its missing our sled (1966 Snow Cruiser)... So embarrassing... 

Doo in the back row on the right looks like a 399 Nordic. That was my first sled before moving up to a 440 TNT. The good old days.

• Like 1

Great pic!

Maybe it was just the times, but my 74 340FA seemed fast at the time. I hit 80 mph on a radar run, I ran out of nerve before the 340 ran out of steam.

Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase,  it had been tweaked by some previous owner/maniac....Like my hobby car, it preferred a mix of pump fuel, and Avgas.

Both my Ski-Doos were pretty reliable, the only issues I remember were minor carb issues, and the darned ratchet/pawl mechanisms on the pull starter would disintegrate regularly. Having 2 machines wasn't a luxury back then. I'd ride one while the other was awaiting parts, or the inclination to repair it.

My F/A was a great sled. Had it for over 8 yrs. Being the original owner and servicing it properly added to it life. Have heard many horror stories but most were 2nd and 3rd owner sleds. Remember with any performance sled the original owner most likely bought it to abuse it. Same thing goes today.

I seem to remember buying plugs by the box and always having a couple of spare plugs with me whenever I went out.

tillotson carb kits

Yup ... A8's .... if you went riding and got home with clean hands, you lied about riding ....

Edited by Denis007
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't own one but I came home with the dirty hands because some one I was riding with did ride one.Now my hands are sensitive to frost bite.

... you know you rode a Doo as a child when ........  lol  !!!   Sometimes I think the crud stuck in my hands is part of my DNA .....

• Like 1

Great pic!

Maybe it was just the times, but my 74 340FA seemed fast at the time. I hit 80 mph on a radar run, I ran out of nerve before the 340 ran out of steam.

Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase,  it had been tweaked by some previous owner/maniac....Like my hobby car, it preferred a mix of pump fuel, and Avgas.

Both my Ski-Doos were pretty reliable, the only issues I remember were minor carb issues, and the darned ratchet/pawl mechanisms on the pull starter would disintegrate regularly. Having 2 machines wasn't a luxury back then. I'd ride one while the other was awaiting parts, or the inclination to repair it.

I seemed to recall the old man getting the toolies at work making new motor mount plates for him. The 1 bangers were hard on them. Found 1 of them scrounging around for steel last year tucked away in a corner of the shop.

Rebuilding the rewinds was a regular repair. I also seem to remember him getting the clutch on 1 of them fixed too. The rivets holding the "kidney" weights wearing out or something. Replaced the w/ hardened shoulder screws.

• 3 years later...

Slomo, this pic is for you:

Valentine day ride 440 TNT 007.JPG

(Stolen from DooTalk)

There is a precedent for white on the '16 to '18 Buzzards LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackjack1 said:

had won of those also.35degrees it would run 50mph, 10degrees it would run 80mph haha,400 free air with a block clutch looved that thing

A friend had a '73 or '74 400 too.