Did they get the Yamaha running in Barry's Bay?

DaveTess

Tess and I were out yesterday riding just outside of Barry's Bayy and around 10:30am ish we cam across two Yamaha Touring Sleds with two couples.

The second sled was brand new and was on it's maiden voyage and had just quit on them. Less than 5 minutes out. Ouch!

They were not happy to say the least! Seems the EPS light had gone off and the sled just quit and wouldn't re-fire. Seems to me that a yellow light is a warning and shouldn't shut things down completely.

Just curious though on what was the outcome. Always interested in knowing in case we run across it again.

Now, we're not Yamaha bashing so don't climb all over me, as most of you know we came from years with Yamaha. Just interested.

Don't like seeing anyone stranded.

As for the "azzhat" that went screaming through the stopped sleds on his Ski Doo, you're part of the 2 to 5% that wreck it for everyone else.

Slow the hell down when you come to stopped sleds. We all want to go home in one piece too!

Dave

X2 on the slow down when passing. After all what's it going to add to your trip? 10 seconds maybe.

Could be anything. My guess is a relay has moisture and maybe froze, shutting down the sled. Seen that happen before. It Is a matter of taking them out, dry them out, heat them up in your hands, put them back in. This is just an educated guess.

It was brand new. No miles but the first 5 minutes. I thought perhaps someone missed something on PDI.

I've had that happen on my ATV but I wouldn't have thought on a brand new out of the box sled.

It was brand new. No miles but the first 5 minutes. I thought perhaps someone missed something on PDI.

I've had that happen on my ATV but I wouldn't have thought on a brand new out of the box sled.

Sounds like PDI to me as well. I'd be pissed......

Could be anything. My guess is a relay has moisture and maybe froze, shutting down the sled. Seen that happen before. It Is a matter of taking them out, dry them out, heat them up in your hands, put them back in. This is just an educated guess.

educated?.... :rolleyes:

educated?.... :rolleyes:

Yup!

The couple that were on the Yamaha are very good friends of ours, they were out with other friends for their first run on the new Venture.  He noticed a hesitation at the 5 km mark, then the odometer displayed an "F".  At the 6.2 km mark it displayed "12 EPS" or something like that, and the sled died.  The sled would then turn over but not fire.

He is returning the sled to the dealer first thing Monday morning,  hope its nothing serious, this is their first new sled and they are pretty disappointed.

Tell them we wish them the best. We too hope it is nothing major. We were on our maiden voyage with our Grand Touring SE also, so we understand their angst.

Keep us informed as to the outcome.

Dave & Tess

I just noticed you have a 2016 Grand Touring SE as well. Have you been out on it yet?

I just noticed you have a 2016 Grand Touring SE as well. Have you been out on it yet?

Actually, they thought that we had decided to join them on that run when you pulled up to them on the same sled as ours!  LOL  I passed on your best wishes to them, she wanted me to thank you for stopping to assist.  Its folks like you that make the sport enjoyable.

We weren't able to join them on this ride, but have managed 130 km's on the new SE in our area so far.  I find the rear suspension bottoms a bit easier than I had thought it would, but other than that the sled is beyond amazing so far.

Shayne

Thanks. Still fine tuning our suspension also. A lot different than a Yamaha Suspension.

That relay issue is the only problem I've had with a Venture and it shut me down but only when cold starting, never while under way.  

I now have an extra relay for others on the trail as this was a major pain on a long norther trip last year.

The new red relay solves this issue.

First thing they tested was the relays, we made sure they had spares with them.  Wasn't the issue.

The sled went back to the dealer, after some investigating (and leaving the mechanic 4 km out on the trail during a test ride...) that the crank position sensor was faulty, new one ordered.

I'll be out with them for a test ride Friday, before the trails around here get trashed by the out-of-town Tucker Hibbert wannabe's Saturday and Sunday LOL.  Hopefully all is well and they can enjoy their new sled.

I have a further update to this...we feel horrible for our friends, we talked them into this new sled, and this whole experience was supposed to be fun.

When they showed up at the Yamaha dealer (Thursday) to pick the sled up after having the crank position sensor replaced, the dealer warned them that the sled had sustained some damage from being towed back after the 4 km test ride (on Tuesday...) by the mechanic...to the tune of $4,000!  Whoever towed the sled back to the dealer sandblasted their 2016 Venture, ruining the hood, windshield, headlight and front suspension spindles.  Just unbelievable.  I cannot imagine my reaction if I'd picked up my sled and saw that...

This sled doesn't have 20 km on the odo yet...The dealer is coming good for the damage...but this has left a seriously bad taste, just unbelievable reckless behavior and beyond words.

All I can say is WOW. Very good friends of ours that we ATV with bought a brand new Arctic Cat Two up ATV in 2013 and during the very first ride it started puffing smoke. Well to keep a long sad story short, three enginges later and countless trips to the dealers, yes dealers as the one they bought it from bailed on them, ever time we ride it's with pins an needles.

Give them all the best. You're a good friend. All they need is your love and support.

Hopefully they can ride and put this behind them.

Dave and Tess

I have a further update to this...we feel horrible for our friends, we talked them into this new sled, and this whole experience was supposed to be fun.

When they showed up at the Yamaha dealer (Thursday) to pick the sled up after having the crank position sensor replaced, the dealer warned them that the sled had sustained some damage from being towed back after the 4 km test ride (on Tuesday...) by the mechanic...to the tune of $4,000!  Whoever towed the sled back to the dealer sandblasted their 2016 Venture, ruining the hood, windshield, headlight and front suspension spindles.  Just unbelievable.  I cannot imagine my reaction if I'd picked up my sled and saw that...

This sled doesn't have 20 km on the odo yet...The dealer is coming good for the damage...but this has left a seriously bad taste, just unbelievable reckless behavior and beyond words.

Wow, sounds like Murphy is following them.

One can only surmise that the dealer hired someone to tow the sled back such as a tow truck service. I doubt he did it himself. The key above though is as you pointed out the dealer is coming good for the damage.

Sounds like the biggest part of the value assessment of damage will be for his labour. You're right it's not a good thing especially for a new sled.

I always figure

no matter what business you're in, no matter how hard you try things WILL go wrong

it's what you do to make it right that makes the difference

it sounds like the dealer is all he can to make it right

The damage was done by an employee of the dealer towing the sled back to the garage.

Finally got some positive news, the dealer is supplying them with a new sled from another out-of-town dealer.  It should be ready early next week.  Good to see they made this right (as they should, no one should have to accept a repaired sled with only 20 km on it), hopefully this is the end of this nonsense and they can enjoy the sled.

Truly a happy ending. Rough start, but a happy ending. Thanks for the info. In time, might ask you for the name of the Yamaha dealer involved (via pm). I know that it was bad news, bad news, good news - but the dealer deserves credit/support.

The damage was done by an employee of the dealer towing the sled back to the garage.

Wouldn't want to be him... bottom line though is the boss (the dealer) is making good on it which is what one would expect him to do.

Getting them a new sled is great and the dealer deserves credit for being a stand up guy who takes care of the customer.

Tow it With a skid steer or atv or something like that, down a gravel road back to the dealer.

Archived